none
Windows XP Product Activation in Virtual Box

Question

• I may be SOL on this but it doesn't hurt to ask.  I'm retiring my 6 year old Dell XPS running Windows XP Pro SP3 (after building a new computer AMD Phenom II 6 Core 64 bit running WIN 7 64 bit.  I will end up donating my old computer after I wipe it clean).  I've made a image of my old Dell and wanted to be able to run this from Oracle Virtual Machine.  There are some programs that won't run on my new machine so I wanted to keep the image around of my old machine and run it it VM.  When I loaded the image it says I need to activate my Windows and using my original activation key does not work (I assume because it's all new equipment).  Will MS issue me another activation code so I can run my old XP Pro in Virtual machine mode or am I just out of luck?  I'm not going to buy a new code because I have an original legal OS on my Dell XPS.  If there is no chance that MS would do this then I'll just keep the old machine around to use when I need one of those old programs.  I am a college professor teaching computer skills and I often give older computers to students who otherwise cannot afford on.  I had to waste this opportunity to donate this otherwise very nice (older) machine.

Thanks in advance!

Monday, September 13, 2010 2:15 AM

Answers

• "Tennisbuff100" wrote in message news:e2bd7398-f822-48f3-90e6-4b2059508954...

Thanks Noel... I AM running Win 7 Pro on my new machine and I have tried running the old programs in XP mode (SP3) as well as Vista mode.  They won't work properly and quite frankly haven't had that much luck running anything in compatability mode.  For example I have a USB Network adapter that won't work in any mode in WIN 7 (I tried them all).  I do understand that the Virtual Machine would be considered a new computer and that is why I knew that I'd pretty much be SOL.  IF Microsoft is monitoring these posts I wonder if they would just confirm I'm wasting my time.

Thanks!

Compatibility Mode and XP Mode are two totally different things - XP Mode is a (free!) virtual machine that runs as an overlay in Win 7, so it's effectively transparent to the user.
    XP Compatibility mode is merely a tweak of the registry references for a particular program.

Download the XP Mode install from here - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx - and then try installing your programs in it.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, September 13, 2010 11:23 AM

All replies

• "Tennisbuff100" wrote in message news:34e7eb25-c40c-40b5-861b-03923a99ad5d...

I may be SOL on this but it doesn't hurt to ask.  I'm retiring my 6 year old Dell XPS running Windows XP Pro SP3 (after building a new computer AMD Phenom II 6 Core 64 bit running WIN 7 64 bit.  I will end up donating my old computer after I wipe it clean).  I've made a image of my old Dell and wanted to be able to run this from Oracle Virtual Machine.  There are some programs that won't run on my new machine so I wanted to keep the image around of my old machine and run it it VM.  When I loaded the image it says I need to activate my Windows and using my original activation key does not work (I assume because it's all new equipment).  Will MS issue me another activation code so I can run my old XP Pro in Virtual machine mode or am I just out of luck?  I'm not going to buy a new code because I have an original legal OS on my Dell XPS.  If there is no chance that MS would do this then I'll just keep the old machine around to use when I need one of those old programs.  I am a college professor teaching computer skills and I often give older computers to students who otherwise cannot afford on.  I had to waste this opportunity to donate this otherwise very nice (older) machine.

Thanks in advance!

I suggest that you upgrade your new PC to either Win 7 Pro or Ultimate, then run your older software in XP Mode.
    A VM is considered a new machine - your XP Pro from the Dell is probably an OEM version, which cannot be transferred to a new machine, and in any case the License would still be in use in the XPS, so not valid in the VM.

--

Monday, September 13, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Thanks Noel... I AM running Win 7 Pro on my new machine and I have tried running the old programs in XP mode (SP3) as well as Vista mode.  They won't work properly and quite frankly haven't had that much luck running anything in compatability mode.  For example I have a USB Network adapter that won't work in any mode in WIN 7 (I tried them all).  I do understand that the Virtual Machine would be considered a new computer and that is why I knew that I'd pretty much be SOL.  IF Microsoft is monitoring these posts I wonder if they would just confirm I'm wasting my time.

Thanks!

Monday, September 13, 2010 11:18 AM
  • "Tennisbuff100" wrote in message news:e2bd7398-f822-48f3-90e6-4b2059508954...

Thanks Noel... I AM running Win 7 Pro on my new machine and I have tried running the old programs in XP mode (SP3) as well as Vista mode.  They won't work properly and quite frankly haven't had that much luck running anything in compatability mode.  For example I have a USB Network adapter that won't work in any mode in WIN 7 (I tried them all).  I do understand that the Virtual Machine would be considered a new computer and that is why I knew that I'd pretty much be SOL.  IF Microsoft is monitoring these posts I wonder if they would just confirm I'm wasting my time.

Thanks!

Compatibility Mode and XP Mode are two totally different things - XP Mode is a (free!) virtual machine that runs as an overlay in Win 7, so it's effectively transparent to the user.
    XP Compatibility mode is merely a tweak of the registry references for a particular program.

Download the XP Mode install from here - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx - and then try installing your programs in it.

--

Monday, September 13, 2010 11:23 AM
  • GREAT.. Thanks Noel.. I was not aware of this program.  I'll give this a try for those "pesky" programs!!!

Monday, September 13, 2010 4:30 PM