none
Solution Management

Question

• I want to pose a scenario as I am not sure of the response.  If I have two solutions (Solution A and Solution B) and I am importing them into another Organization, how will they merge if at all in these scenarios?

Solution A has forms called "F1" & "F2" for Contact.
    Solution B has forms "F1" & "F3" for Contact.
    I import Solution A first into an org, then Solution B.
    The question is, which forms are available for Contact in the Org – is it F1, F2 & F3, or just F1 & F3 ? 

And I have the same question about fields on Contact.  
    SolutionA has the contact entity with fields "F1" & "F2".
    SolutionB has the contact entity with fields "F1" & "F3".

What will the resulting experience be for the user?  Will these changes occur at all or will the Solution B imports fail since they share the exact same name as those components in Solution A in each of the scenarios?  Thanks!

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:50 PM

Answers

• The import will succeed and the final merged customizations will include F1, F2, and F3 in the case of the forms and fields.  When importing solutions, the customizations are merged in the case of user interface components, e.g. ribbons, forms, site map, etc. and in the case of all other customizations the last solution imported wins.  Of course there are slight differences depending upon whether the solutions are managed vs. unmanaged.  For more information you can check out the CRM 2011 SDK documentation for solutions here.

Nick

Friday, June 28, 2013 12:21 PM

All replies