Off Topic: need help!! Windows Vista's Defender stopped working!

General discussion

• I have a laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic and recently Windows Defender stopped working and keep saying:

"Application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. A Problem caused Windows Defender to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support on how to start a service manually."

I have also tried to download windows defender from microsoft to reinstall it but it will keep on saying windows defender already comes with vista and you do not need to install it.

I have also tried going into the services and try to start it manually and this is what it say:

"Windows could not start the Windows Defender service on Local Computer
    Error 0x80096004: The signature of the certificate cannot be verified"

any help please?
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:37 AM

Answers

All replies

•  Hi friedoyster,

If you are using windows live onecare, defender is turned off by default. Onecare scans for both virus and spyware. Onecare does a really good job protecting the system. You really don't need defender, and if you want, you can just uninstall it.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:25 AM
  • I am sorry, I think you might have misunderstood what i meant...

I wasn't using the windows live one care, as defender was built into vista already and recently that error appeared(even when disabled)..and that it cannot be uninstalled.

I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask but microsoft's forum is alittle too messy for me....

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 12:52 PM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx Hi,

My mistake, I assumed you were using onecare. You can find help with defender here or you can get support at the site

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:01 PM
  • Since you aren't using Windows Live OneCare, this wouldn't be the right forum. You can try the Vista newsgroups (here - http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/Default.aspx) or the Defender newsgroups (here - http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx ).

-steve

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:03 PM
  •  djartsinc wrote:
       If you are using windows live onecare, defender is turned off by default. Onecare scans for both virus and spyware. Onecare does a really good job protecting the system. You really don't need defender, and if you want, you can just uninstall it.

That hasn’t been my experience. I recently noticed that Defender was not activated, so I installed Adaware and Spybot S&D and did a scan….between the two they found 93 instances of tracking cookies and data miners that slipped by OneCare.

It’s a PITA, but now I manually turn on Defender and also use Spybot’s active immunization. Is there a way to NOT have OneCare disable Defender? (Running Vista Business).

Thanks,

Thursday, March 01, 2007 9:58 PM
  • Defender does not scan for cookies, so enabling Defender will not help. You can control or eliminate most tracking cookies through the controls built into your browser.
    Thursday, March 01, 2007 11:10 PM
  • No, you can't disable spyware scanning/protection of OneCare and you can't prevent OneCare from disabling Defender.

-steve

Thursday, March 01, 2007 11:52 PM
  • I have same problem with Defender and Vista. I can't uninstall Defender and can't update it either as trying to install the later version of Defender produces a message telling me that Defender is part of Vista and I cannot install it again. Checking for updates returns an error Code 0x80240029. Where do I go from here?
    Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:26 AM
  •  mikej101 wrote:
    I have same problem with Defender and Vista. I can't uninstall Defender and can't update it either as trying to install the later version of Defender produces a message telling me that Defender is part of Vista and I cannot install it again. Checking for updates returns an error Code 0x80240029. Where do I go from here?

You can't uninstall Defender in Vista. The Defender newsgroups for help are here: 

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/newsgroups/default.mspx

-steve

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 2:03 AM
  • Hi guys ...i finally found a solution for this...this is what u need to do :-

1> go to windows update page

2> disable the win update and also uncheck the radio buton that says that download other microsoft product 

updates too(its there in the same page)

3> disable win firewall or add a exception in it for win defender (better to disable it for a few mins)

4>run the update in the win defender....walla

5> Updates complete

6>reenable the firewall and the win autoupdates

thanks...hope u guys like it...

waiting for comments Smile

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:14 PM
  • Yu're the man!!! That works great!!!

Glad to have some like u...

Take care!

Thanks...

Thursday, April 19, 2007 1:19 AM
  • Did you disable the Eula Launcher from start up? After I re-enabled it (and rebooted, of course)Windows Defender performed normally.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:47 AM
  • Thanks for that - it sorted the problem. What would we do without folks like you.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 6:35 AM