Microsoft Trackball Optical

Question

• Hey

I have gamed for years since the early police quest days. I'm a devote gamer who has made ££ in the past from events etc. I always emense myself completely in games the sorrounding and the hardware. Its got me far in some great jobs aswell in the past my passion for the industry.

I used to be a mouse gamer only up to 2000 though.I discovered your trackball the optical 1.0 after going threw every trackball avadable at the time i discovered its egernomic design was the best for gaming. It was completely innovating the design of how the ball is used with the thumb. My left handed mate also eventually managed to pic it up.

Now we hit 2009 ive gamed on the same ball for the past 9 years and it has never failed me. In all new games its high dpi still means you ahead yes ahead of all the competition on-line. Once the thumb has been fully trained it is more powerfull then the wrist in gaming imo the wide range of options avadable to you espically at high sensitivty our out of the usuall gamers box. I speak off all games im a brilliant low level jet pilot in bf2, i doged close range mass combat fights in freelancer, become professional standards in hl2 dm and css and i thank it only to the trackball ( yeh im slightly awsome to). In 05 i brought it at the rrp of £45 for 2 mates in the states as a xmas present. These have not gone back to normal mouse's alough i doubted it introducing them at a late stage in there lifes.

At the moment the mouse is discontinued from you and is selling for £90 brand new. Old ones are getting £50 bids on ebay the desire for this mouse just from the people who used it is great. I am writing all this because i want you to see it from our side which i cant spend alot of time campaigning unfortunately so just trying to put the passion in one.

There is still a market for this mouse a big market. There is a very big want for the mouse , lough id probably never get to use it im trying to show you how idiotic it would be to keep this mouse off the market. It has a future a very big one a new one 2.0 with higher DPI or a re release of the old mouse would in doubtablly work very very well at this time( there is a very big market for it trackball's option varity is rubbish and no dev has done such a design again as im sure u still have the tm)

I include a couple of links to show you without a doubt which trackball i refer to and its high current price for a 9 year old ball. If you do rerelease it id recommened that you include learning software for gamers aswell something themed so people can pic up the needed movements quickly.

Many thanks for even looking at this and many thanks for making my gaming history so perfect.

Tim

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Microsoft-D67-00005

http://www.microsoft.com/japan/hardware/mouse/track_optical.mspx

• Moved by Max Wang_Chinasoft Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:22 PM forum consolidation (From:Hardware)
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:41 PM

All replies

• I completely agree with you on this.  This mouse needs to be re-released or a new updated version needs to come out.  I have been using the same one for the fast 8 or 9 years, gaming and everyday use.  Unfortunatly for me, after so long of continuous hard wear and tear, my cord is shorting out and it acts funny, and still regardless I refuse to get another mouse till I can find this exact one for a decent price or something comparable (as of now there is absolutly nothing comparable that I've found), and its been probably a year or so since it started acting up.  I even got my mother hooked on this mouse years ago.  I will be the "first" to second that MS should bring back or redesign this mouse.  I never understood why it was discontinued in the first place.  Just putting my bid in with the lot ;-)
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 8:55 AM
  • I Completely agree, I would really like to get another one of these (I found this thread while searching for one).  I'm saddened that this mouse is going for nearly $300 at some places. 

Please consider re-production of the Optical Trackball! 
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 2:38 AM
  • Agree, please re-release it with same ergonomics, but a slightly better ball system for more accurate navigation. I just love this thing, but my brother's son played with it to much and now the cord is broken :( The world needs more trackballs!
    Friday, September 25, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Yes, microsoft... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE distribute an updated version of this trackball.  The logitech thumb-trackball is way too small for grown-up man-hands.
    Thursday, October 08, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Ive used the trackball for the past 3 years myself and im yet to find a mouse that comes close to competing, its a shame to see it discontinued.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:18 PM
  • I've been using thumbballs since Logitech released their first back in '96. I bought the MS Trackball Optical 1.0 when it first came out, as it had 5 buttons (better for gaming) and the larger size fit my hand better. I've bought 4 of this model so fay, as I did have a couple failures (2 units died due to the shroud scarring the track ball). However, I'm still using the first one I bought after 5 years for general computing and MMO-gaming on my home computer. The ball is a little worn from all that use, but it still tracks beautifully. I have another at work that's about 3 years old.

Recently, however, the buttons have begun randomly triggering from the lightest touches.. Obviously I've gamed the poor thing to an early grave. I'd go out and buy another one in a heartbeat.. Except of course that they're not for sale anymore.

In fact, there's nothing better, or even comparable, on the market..

Logitech is still selling the same 3-button model I upgraded from. Their forums have folks posting asking for an upgraded model..
    As noted, a new MS Trackball Optical goes for $130 on Amazon, and similar on eBay. This is the MARKET price for a discontinued device. This says the demand for these devices has gone UP since they were discontinued, not down.

Personally, I'm amazed that SOMEONE hasn't figured this out and put out an updated model. Logitech is squandering their hold on the device, and MS abandoned it.. Is it that much of a niche market that it's not worth supporting? Even when folks are willing to pay around $100 for what amounts to an upside-down 5 button mouse?

Granted, thumbballs aren't the best choice for First-Person shooters. But they are AWESOME for less-precise, more relaxed use, such as MMORPG's (World of Warcraft), and everyday computer use. Why move your whole arm around when just flexing your thumb is all that's required?

PLEASE release an updated version of this classic controller soon!!!
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:49 AM
  • I've been using my Trackball Optical 1.0 since it was first released and find it the best trackball ever produced.  The logitech model is only a fare replacement lacking the extra 2 control buttons and small ball.  If this wasn't a popular input device, sellers wouldn't be able to ask several hundred dollars for one online.  I think MS really dropped the ball by discontinuing this model.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 6:00 PM
  • AGREED!! My backup Trackball Optical just finally expired (left button failing), and I don't want to use anything else!! PLEASE start manufacturing this again!!
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 6:17 PM
  • I have used this trackball for over 10 years and love it.  I would absolutely buy another if it was re-released.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 3:53 AM
  • I don't see why microsoft doesn't want to make Trackball anymore regardless of how many people are looking for it and are ready to pay a bit more to get it.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 9:09 AM
  • I've been searching for this mouse all morning.  I've been using a laptop for the last 5 years, but prior to that all I would use ever is that optical mouse.  I just got a new desktop and found out the old girl is broke, wire is frayed.  Started searching for a new one to use and all I'm seeing is mice for 100-200 dollars.  I've got large hands and I can't comfortably use any other mouse I've ever seen, trackball or otherwise.  I don't understand why microsoft would discontinue such a great product.

Bring it back!
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:28 PM
  • I've been using various mice since the late 80's. I got my first trackball in 2003 because of wrist problems. Tried logitechs but found they were too small for the average guys hands. Purchased a Trackball Optical after finding it very comfortable to use and haven't looked back except that maybe I should've bought a couple more. 

Please MS or Bill! Lets get going on a 2.0 or just stick with the 1.0. This thing is awesome and nothing comes close to it! Just look at the prices this thing is fetching... USED at that!!! 
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 4:28 AM
  • Yet another totally satisfied customer/user here. I have used mine since they were first released and have never purchased another trackball after trying many in stores.

At the expense of sounding pathetic, I too will emplore Microsoft to PLEASE produce this item once again. There must be a patent on it preventing other companies from doing so, but at any rate I would gladly purchase a new one right away, perhaps more than one this time around.

Great unequaled product.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:42 AM
  • Dear Microsoft, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you start to manafacture this wonderful mouse again? PLEASE? There just simply ISN'T ANYTHING on the market like it, and the side buttons have just packed up on mine!  I would SO LOVE to be able to purchase another one, but that's impossible sadly.  PLEASE MS, at least consider it?
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Dear Microsoft, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you start to manafacture this wonderful mouse again? PLEASE? There just simply ISN'T ANYTHING on the market like it, and the side buttons have just packed up on mine!  I would SO LOVE to be able to purchase another one, but that's impossible sadly.  PLEASE MS, at least consider it?

hi ,

Microsoft stopped it due to increased competition and they where losing money on it ( 19 usd for each trackball ) however maybe in the future there could be a new one , development has increased after the great game mouse , ....

all you can do is email microsoft and keep asking , ....

have a nice day
    Scan with OneCare + 50 Windows 7even Tips + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR+ Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Office 2010 beta + Get Windows LIVE!
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 2:35 AM
  • i agree 100% with the above .. mine has survived for many years and now i want a new one they are silly money ..

so how comes they are still available in boxes after all this time ? do ebay users have access to a secret stash ? $124 for a used one and $170 for a new boxed one ...

i will email microsft today and ask ... you never know ...

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 3:42 PM
  • I too would love to see this return, I've had 3 of them so far. I know the last one I paid over $100 for on eBay, and I've used it enough I've had to pull it apart and replace the left button twice now. I've yet to try the logitech one, and I don't really want to. IMO this is the best pointing device I've ever used. Personally I hate mice, and the only thing I hate worse than mice, laptop touchpads.

So what I would really love to see is a wireless version come out that either is Bluetooth, or at least has a receiver that isn't almost as big as the deivce itself (something logitech still has not done).

Now I know I'm not the only one who dislikes touchpads and mice, and with Logitech not having updated their cordless version's receiver if Microsoft could re-release this with a reasonably sized receiver, they could easily dominate the market for trackballs.

And I would wager that alot of people would buy a Microsoft one over a Logitech any day of week, even if Logitech finally did update their receiver simply because they've ignored those customers for far too long.

So please Microsoft, make my wish come true! :)

Friday, June 11, 2010 9:36 AM
  • I've had one for years. I've postponed upgrading to Win 7 because I've read it does not support the trackball.  I don't remember what I had to do to get it to work with vista but I recall it was a real pita.

I'm now faced with buying a new system and fear I'll have to replace my office keyboard (the one with the scroll wheel and the dedicated cut/copy/paste buttons) and my optical trackball.

I think I'll keep my existing system!

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:41 PM
  • mine worked first time in vista ... always recognises it everytime i have reinstalled .. as for win7 dont see why not .. only a usb connection...
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:37 PM
  • I have tested the win 7 rc canditate and the trackball functioned fine.

For those that havent already download the driver control center from

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK

This is for XP->Vista. Adds functionality etc upto date even today which is awsome.

Windows 7 will aquire drivers automatically on install very nice indeed. If not you can use vista drivers in compatability mode but this should not be required.

There is also cleaning services now set up threw ebay to optimize and recondition old MS hardware for $70 but this isnt in the UK yet sadly.

I'm amazed to see the response this thread has gotten alough i cant say unexpected. Reality Microsoft may never make another Trackball but if you register you and your friends interest here at least they get the just deserved thanks.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:39 PM
  • I have tested the win 7 rc canditate and the trackball functioned fine.

For those that havent already download the driver control center from

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK

This is for XP->Vista. Adds functionality etc upto date even today which is awsome.

Windows 7 will aquire drivers automatically on install very nice indeed. If not you can use vista drivers in compatability mode but this should not be required.

There is also cleaning services now set up threw ebay to optimize and recondition old MS hardware for $70 but this isnt in the UK yet sadly.

I'm amazed to see the response this thread has gotten alough i cant say unexpected. Reality Microsoft may never make another Trackball but if you register you and your friends interest here at least they get the just deserved thanks.

hi ,

MS is looking in the possibility of launching a new trackball version , ....

there is much demand from the game community for it , ...

some stocks remain in europe with big importers , so contact them at a loacal level and you might get lucky , ...

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! + Windows LIVE !
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:19 PM
  • I've had my Track Ball Explorer for about 6 years, and I'm sorry to say that the buttons are starting to miss clicks.  I would GLADLY pay $100 for a new TrackBall Explorer....  PLEASE PLEASE BRING THIS TRACKBALL BACK TO PRODUCTION!!  There are an awful lot of people who want this specific model.  They are selling on eBay and Amazon for $300 and up!!!  If they were produced - even if it were only a limited production, I'd still buy like 4 of them.  Yyeah, that would be $400 for 4 trackballs - my wife would KILL ME!!!  But it would still be worth it.  There is absolutely nothing on the market that comes close to the feel of this trackball.  Nothing, and MS is really missing the boat with this...  sure, small potatoes, but it would make an awful lot of people VERY HAPPY to see these produced again...

Friday, October 08, 2010 5:23 AM
  • There's enough on Ebay still to make it worthwhile.  I just paid 61 shipped and it came in a short time ago.  Supposedly this is used, but it hardly looks like it.

Another going now for 30ish without the trackball I may just get as a new backup.

Either way it's replacing one I had for 10+ years; the cord and internal connections finally just were too much to repair (I have had to re-wire a bit and re-solder a couple of times to keep it going).  Just couldn't find the parts needed to re-construct a new USB cable since they aren't always readily available (and the spare mice I had lying around were not wired correctly to merely swap out).

No better mouse out there though; I was sorely missing this for the past 3-4 days while waiting for the replacement to come in.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 5:43 PM
  • I heartily agree with everyone here, please Microsoft, start production of the Trackball Explorer (TBE) again!  I have been doing extensive research for years now on ergonomically correct mice/trackballs and the TBE is the only one that was designed right and it was an accurate, precise trackball too.  I do an a lot of work in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator which require a fair amount of fine movements.  I have yet to find a mouse or other trackball that compares.  This all pales in the problems I am having with the RSS symptoms with non-TBE's too!    When my last TBE broke a few months ago, I became panicked and have been trying everything else, and now all my hand, arm and shoulder pain is returning.  Please help!!  I know there would be a big market for the TBE to put back into production.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Oh yes, PLEASE rerelease this mouse!  My husband and I both use it and we love them!  I'm just kicking myself for not having bought more of them when there were more of them for much cheaper.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 9:22 PM
  • I'll never understand 

why the whole world doesn't use Trackball Explorers. And I'll never understand why Microsoft stopped making them. It's a topsy-turvy world...

Monday, November 08, 2010 3:24 AM
  • Full agreement as well here. I love my trackball. It's been working great for years. I wanted to get one for work and started looking for them and was really bummed to learn that they are out of stock everywhere.

There's alot of peeps on here that are in the same boat not too mention all the other sites I've been on where there is the same demand.

It would be great of Microsoft started putting these out again for an affordable price. I'd be on that boat in a heartbeat.

BRING IT ON MICROSOFT!!!!!! MAKE US PROUD!!!!!!

Ben

Friday, November 12, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Yes!!!!! The Only mouse I will use! A rerelease now would be in time to compete with the new Trackman wireless that just came out! Don't make me buy another one of THERE Trackballs, PLEASE!!!

Robin  

Monday, November 15, 2010 3:36 AM
  • Yup, another vote for re-introduction - best mouse yet, me and my wife use nothing else, both laptops and desktops, but they are getting increasingly hard to find, I've only got 2 left in the draw, and when they are gone I'm pretty stuffed.

Monday, November 15, 2010 10:40 AM
  • Please MS.  I loved this trackball.  I had 2 of them and now when the cord is cut I can not find a replacement for under 100 dollars.  Please re-release this again. 
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 11:22 AM
  • My Trackball Explorer 1 is coming to the end of it's life after serving me well for every day of the last eight years. I have been to my local computer megastore and none of the Kensington or Logitech trackballs even come close. The only option I have now is to lurk on Ebay wating for one in a reasonable condition and pay a lot of money for it.

Bring back the Trackball Explorer 1 it is the best product you ever made bar none !

Monday, November 29, 2010 1:34 PM
  • hi ,

keep emailing them , .... if they will realize that a trackball would be great for the sidewinder series , .... !!

http://www.mshdw.com/hdwcustsurvey/default.aspx

from http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/support/default.mspx

the more people will tell them , the more they will think about it , ... write a plain old fashioned letter , ....

the hardware blog - http://www.microsofthardwareblog.com/

i gave mine up years ago to a disabled person , ever since then i feel something is missing , ....

forget the logitech and kensigton magic otis , try some of the lesser known brands , ... but none can grasp the trackbal explorer , ... ( !! )

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! + Windows LIVE !
    Saturday, December 04, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Please Microsoft, you made a much superior product than anyone else with the Microsoft D67-00001 Trackball Optical Mouse. How many people will it take for you to reconsider bringing this product back? I am seriously considering paying the $400 to get a new one out of the box. I know it's all about how many you can sell and at what price point but I for one would pay a much higher price than for Logitech's worthless excuse for a trackball. I cannot find anything close to the old Microsoft trackball mouse. I did not know this was going to be taken off the market until it was too late. I bought 5 of them at the end but after years of extreme use they are finally wearing down.

Thanks for your consideration!

Love,

WhoSaysMicroftsoftDoesn'tKnowHardware

Monday, December 20, 2010 11:14 PM
  • I agree with you Spillblood , please re-release it with same ergonomics.
    A short sale is when you decide to sell your house but you have no equity. So, you have to ask your mortgage company to release you from the mortgage debt as there will not be enough funds to pay them off. This allows the homeowner to avoid the damaging effects of foreclosure. Conversely, the lender wins by avoiding a lengthy legal foreclosure battle.
    Wednesday, January 05, 2011 12:02 PM
  • I agree with you Spillblood , please re-release it with same ergonomics.
    A short sale is when you decide to sell your house but you have no equity. So, you have to ask your mortgage company to release you from the mortgage debt as there will not be enough funds to pay them off. This allows the homeowner to avoid the damaging effects of foreclosure. Conversely, the lender wins by avoiding a lengthy legal foreclosure battle.

hi ,

start sending emails and plain old fashioned letters , ....

that will work with more result then this thread !

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! 
    Friday, January 07, 2011 8:26 AM
  • I have carpal tunnel and made the switch to trackballs some time ago to lessen the symptoms.  The TE 1.0 was the first one I got when I made the switch.  In truth, the hard rear part of the TE did not lessen the symptoms as much as I would have liked, so I went off on a multi-year odyssey trying several different models.  The height as well as the placement of the buttons, wheel, and ball was something I never found in another trackball -- and miss a lot.  So here it is many, many years later and I'm back to using my TE 1.0.  It rattles a bit because it's been dropped a few times, but it still works.  I would buy another right now, today, if I could.  I'd love to see an ultimate TE that had a gel pad on the rear.  I'd pay $150 for a wireless version.
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:48 PM
  • I have carpal tunnel and made the switch to trackballs some time ago to lessen the symptoms.  The TE 1.0 was the first one I got when I made the switch.  In truth, the hard rear part of the TE did not lessen the symptoms as much as I would have liked, so I went off on a multi-year odyssey trying several different models.  The height as well as the placement of the buttons, wheel, and ball was something I never found in another trackball -- and miss a lot.  So here it is many, many years later and I'm back to using my TE 1.0.  It rattles a bit because it's been dropped a few times, but it still works.  I would buy another right now, today, if I could.  I'd love to see an ultimate TE that had a gel pad on the rear.  I'd pay $150 for a wireless version.

hi ,

hmmm , if you know a diving shop , a piece of a thin dive suit from 4 to 8 mm works fine in the back !

yes many people who have pain and or disconfort with a regular mouse love a trackbal , ... al we can do is write to MS and keep asking ??

have a nice day

Scan with OneCare + Support ENDING for windows Vista & XP ! + Plagued by the Privacy Center? REMOVE IT + Threat Research & Response Blog + Sysinternals Live tools + TRANSLATOR + Photosynth + Microsoft Security + Microsoft SUPPORT + PIVOT from Live Labs + Microsoft Live Labs + Get OFFICE 2010 FREE ! 
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 6:55 PM
  • I have the same problem ....fell in love and can't let go. I have been using this mouse since 01 and can not find a better one. I have doctored this thing back together so many times and its at the end of its rope. My question is has anyone found a replacement cord? Not like brand name because that would be too easy. Rather has anyone found a cord that would be able to be able to do the job?
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 4:13 AM
  • I have been using my Trackball Explorer for 7 years now and it is starting to show.  I searched for a replacement to no avail. Microsoft, this was/is a good product.  There is a distinct market for the trackball that Logitech is failing to capture. You need to re-release/up-date the Explorer.  I could guarantee that people will buy. If you don't believe me just read these posts or google, "best trackball on the market."
    Sunday, February 06, 2011 1:39 AM
  • I have been using my Trackball Explorer for 7 years now and it is starting to show.  I searched for a replacement to no avail. Microsoft, this was/is a good product.  There is a distinct market for the trackball that Logitech is failing to capture. You need to re-release/up-date the Explorer.  I could guarantee that people will buy. If you don't believe me just read these posts or google, "best trackball on the market."

hi ,

one million will probably be sold within 6 months to a year !

the best way to make your voice heard ? a facebook page or other new media website

but , the way to get results ? write , yes write to microsoft !

Corporate Headquarters
    Microsoft Corporation
    One Microsoft Way
    Redmond, WA 98052-6399 - USA

OR

http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/

have a nice day

Monday, February 14, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Maybe Microsoft could license this if they aren't interested in making it again.  I've had mine for 8 or 9 years, and it's only now starting to be a problem.  I have it wired to a KVM switch, and operate 4 computers on a daily basis.  It has survived more keyboards than I can count, and at least 5 computers. 
    • Proposed as answer by Roxy__ Thursday, April 21, 2011 6:10 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Spillblood Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:24 PM
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:48 AM
  • one of the aspects that made it so good was the fact MS made it. The design has been mimicked already by Logitech i believe but there model just blows, simply due to the cheap manufacturing process compared to MS. MS make quality parts. If the company agreed to keep to the original quality of the product then would be megar but that would bump up production costs on a outdated product and not many company's gona be willing to-do that.

Might have to write a letter /shrug seems im still on the pc and still got the ball=d. Getting old tho, any chance anyone knows the size of the ball bearings inside? lost one few years ago held up tho still gamable.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:30 PM