none
Slow Download/Upload Speed

Question

• Has anyone else experienced slow download/upload speeds? i am trying to download a 100mb file and it is downloading at 200kbps max... and upload is very slow like 20 kbps

is there anything to fix this?

My WHS build: Processor = AMD 3600 X2 ~ 1.9GHz
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Personally, one of the first things I would check, is comparing the server performance over the same network with another computer, just for the process of elimination.

If your modem is an SB5100, then the power levels etc should be somewhat along the lines of:

Motorola Surboard SB5120 QAM 256 (Working range)
    Down Power -4 dBmV (-10 and +10 dBmV)
    SNR 37 dB (higher than 33dB)
    Up Power 48 dBmV (30 and 55dBmV)

(This is taken from a Comcast system)

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A few more details would help, is this to and from a Client, if so, what is it's operating system, is it to and from the server, if so, inside your own network or external? What is your network setup - gigabit switch etc.

In general however, the first thing to do, is ensure you have the latest version of driver for your NIC's. Do note though, that some consumer-grade NIC's/routers can 'choke' on data transfers to a server.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:24 PM
  • sorry for that....

Here is the senario.

School computer Windows XP Pro - (T1) internet (im guessing)

WHS PP1 = AMD 3600 X2 ~ 1.9GHz and 1gig ram.

My WHS is plugged into RangeMax Wireless router WPN824 and has the latest firmware. It is plugged in through a cat6 cable.

I have a Motarola Modem from Comcast

I have Comcast HSI at 8mb down 2mb  up

When i try to upload a 100mb file it usually takes around 30 mins or more at about 20kbps.

and when i download the same file it runs at about 200kbps but it still takes about 10 mins.

I can also look on the whs task manger under network use when i am uploading a file and it spikes to around 25% and back down to about 1% during this process

Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:56 AM
  • Hi,

Personally, one of the first things I would check, is comparing the server performance over the same network with another computer, just for the process of elimination.

If your modem is an SB5100, then the power levels etc should be somewhat along the lines of:

Motorola Surboard SB5120 QAM 256 (Working range)
    Down Power -4 dBmV (-10 and +10 dBmV)
    SNR 37 dB (higher than 33dB)
    Up Power 48 dBmV (30 and 55dBmV)

(This is taken from a Comcast system)

Colin

Friday, November 21, 2008 10:04 AM
  • Thanks,

The performance from within the network seems to be fine i get about 12mb transfer speeds from my computer to the server.

granted I am running a

Intell Core 2 Quad Q6600 ~3.2ghrz

4gb ram

Velociraptor 10k hard drive

Friday, November 21, 2008 7:23 PM
  • bump
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:51 PM
  • does anyone know why this is happening?
    Thursday, December 04, 2008 3:30 PM
  • Dude I am having the same exact problem. Idk if it is a setting or what. I cant figure it out.

Please help us anyone! :P
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:33 AM
  • The way I see it, its the internet connection you are downloading and uploading to from outside the network, eveything will come down to the speed of the internet, A T1 line from what I understand is about 1.5mb, even my sister downloads and uploads things to my server from outside the network and it takes her a while to get things uploaded and downloaded.

Henry
    HMG
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:44 PM
  • Same issues here.  It seems in the last few weeks my server has become all but useless.

I'm even having issues on the LAN.  Just this morning I copied a small 64MB file from my server to my Mac & it took nearly a minute.  That's on a 1Gb
    network too.

I'm about ready to look for an alternative to WHS.  This is becoming a typical Microsoft bloated, slow running piece of ____.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:46 PM