backup without admin rights?

Question

•  

When will be able to run a backup with stored username/password like most software?  I have a user who I do not want to give admin rights to and I can't back up that PC without manually logging in and running it.  When will it be automatic?
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• You should be able to run scheduled backup as a limited user. You can't run a manual backup unless you have admin rights, though. If a scheduled backup does not run, please contact OneCare support -

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:20 AM
  •  

Actually, I misread the error message.  It says that the user doesn't have access rights to the back up location, but it's a NAS device and that should be just fine.  What's wrong with this?
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:18 PM
  • NAS backups are painful for some people. Basically, it should work, but it requires that the destination location on the NAS device be shared with rights to all users to change all files without a login specific to the NAS, if that makes sense.

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:50 AM
  •  

But that's what I have set up.  I have no permissions on that location.  It's a linksys 250gb nas device. 

However, one machine that backs up to it is windows xp and one is windows vista.  Is that the problem?

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Do you get an error backing up for both machines to that location?

I did a quick search, and this old thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2296676&SiteID=2 - indicates that someone using a Linksys NAS with a non-admin account was failing backup, too.

As far as I know, the solution to backup problems is that the location for the backup needs to be properly defined. So, that means that it needs to be a Share and it needs to be configured to allow all users rights to that Share - full rights, to read, write, delete, and change.

Can you access the location on the NAS from the non-admin account on the XP and Vista machines? Can you write a file to that location and can you also delete a file from that location from both PCs in Windows Explorer?

-steve

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:22 PM
  • It's weird, since I can't write to it on my windows xp machine.  I can write to it on my vista machine.  Did the windows live oncare backup on my vista machine change the permissions of that location?  I used to use winzip with no problems on all my machines.  this is the first time any machine asked for a userid and password and I've never defined them for this location.  Why do I have to now?

Sounds like a bug to me.

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:34 AM
  • Try the following to see if we can rule out a sharing issue and the firewall:

Open OneCare.
    Click Change Settings
    On the firewall tab, click configure firewall
    If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."
    Click the Advanced Settings button
    Click Network connections tab.
    If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable them in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)
    On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.
    If all of the above fail, please contact support.
    How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:01 PM
  • I have the firewall disabled on all my computers because I share a printer connected to one of my computers.  My router has a hardware firewall in it. 

I have three computers hooked up.

One laptop with windows xp SP2 on it that's wirelessly connected.  This is not currently backed up.  I won't back it up until I get the other one working.

One desktop with windows XP SP2 on it that's wirelessly connected.  This is the one with problems backing up.

One desktop hard-wired to the router with VISTA on it with the printer connected.

Should I call support?  Thanks for all the help.

Saturday, May 10, 2008 5:10 PM
  • Hi, JimS313.

Yes, if all of the above has not yet helped resolve the problem for you, please contact support. And do post back the results.

-steve

• Proposed as answer by ucc8765Banned Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:40 AM
    Monday, May 12, 2008 3:03 PM