none
Internet Explorer windows closes when the users try to open PDF file

Question

• Hi ,

When i open a pdf attachment from the notes Tab Internet Explorer windows closes when the users try to open PDF file.All the IE closes. Can anyone help me to resolve this
    Thanks, Aarch
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 4:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Thanks for all your help,

This was due to a form onload event code error... thanks again
    Thanks, Aarch
    • Marked as answer by Aarch Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:23 AM

All replies

• HI,

Please help
    Thanks, Aarch
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:08 AM
  • Hi,
    what IE and Acrobat versions are you using ?

Check windows event log to see if there are any related messages.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:16 AM
  • we are using IE7.0 AND ACROBAT VERSION 7
    Thanks, Aarch
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:24 AM
  • the error does not occur every time. If you refresh Internet Explorer just before opening the PDF no error occures.

Thanks, Aarch
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:07 PM
  • You can try following options
    1. Reset IE settings
    2. Reinstall or upgrade Acrobat
    3. Reinstall IE
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:17 PM
  • no actually this problem comes only when we open a pdf which is an attachment in notes tab of a customized attribute. Please help me in this.
    Thanks, Aarch
    Friday, September 18, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Create new custom entity with notes and check if you can repeat the problem, maybe you have a customization on your entity that is causing the error. I don't see any difference between opening attachments from custom and system entities.

You can also try to disable 'Display PDF in browser' option in reader internet preferences.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Maybe the following suggestions will help you identify the problem:

1.      You say when I open , does It happen to other users as well. If not it might be related to debugging.
    Try removing IE debugging using Tools --> advanced tab.

2.      Try remove IE7 phishing filter

3.      Try opening IE without add-ins. If this works try eliminating add-ins until you get the one that causes the problem.

4.      I think there is an option in adobe that tell PDF not to open in IE but in a stand-alone actobat. If that is an option you should explore that as well.

HTH  

GI CRM Blog * GI Website
    Friday, September 18, 2009 7:00 AM
  • Hi Thanks for your answers..and my apologies too...because i found that the real cause of the errror is because in thge notes when i attach a new file the regarding field of the note is disabled. Because of this i am getting the error.

I have compared with the customisation done in the contact form (where itsworking correctly in the reg field) with the new custom entity(where in notes regarding  field is not coming),i have given the same settings.

I have given 1:N relationship from new entity to the Notes entity. Is there anything else i need to be done to make the Regarding field come correctly
    Thanks, Aarch
    Friday, September 18, 2009 7:29 AM
  • I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. While you create new entity you need to select Notes checkbox to enable notes, and you cannot create custom relationships with Notes.
    If you are adding attachment using 'clip' button regarding field is hidden but still rendered, so you can access its value.
    Friday, September 18, 2009 8:10 AM
  • Hi Thanks for all your help,

This was due to a form onload event code error... thanks again
    Thanks, Aarch
    • Marked as answer by Aarch Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:23 AM