none
Having valid Windows 7 in my VirtualBox brought up non-genuine message after VirtualBox upgrade

Question

• Hi,

I was running my Windows 7 that was shipped with my Samsung laptop as VirtualBox virtual machine (running Linux as host system). I validated the windows on installation and all has been ok for about one month. When rebooting after the upgrade of my VirtualBox from 4.0->4.1 it complained about the genuine problem.

What can I do now to get my Windows 7 back to be Genuine? I prefer not to need to reinstall everything as it takes time and energy. I had a perfect setup Win7 just before the problem occurred.

/Peter

Thursday, November 17, 2011 12:54 PM

Answers

• "tronen" wrote in message news:3b88814a-97f7-432d-9eb7-b491cd484461...

Hi,

I was running my Windows 7 that was shipped with my Samsung laptop as VirtualBox virtual machine (running Linux as host system). I validated the windows on installation and all has been ok for about one month. When rebooting after the upgrade of my VirtualBox from 4.0->4.1 it complained about the genuine problem.

What can I do now to get my Windows 7 back to be Genuine? I prefer not to need to reinstall everything as it takes time and energy. I had a perfect setup Win7 just before the problem occurred.

/Peter

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine, but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

Note that while you are allowed to use the copy of Windows that came with your machine in a VM, this is as a replacement for, not as well as, the original installation. The installation will require use of the COA Key, as a VM does not have the appropriate BIOS to self-activate the OEM_SLP Key that the Recovery system uses.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:07 PM

All replies

• "tronen" wrote in message news:3b88814a-97f7-432d-9eb7-b491cd484461...

Hi,

What can I do now to get my Windows 7 back to be Genuine? I prefer not to need to reinstall everything as it takes time and energy. I had a perfect setup Win7 just before the problem occurred.

/Peter

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine, but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!

Note that while you are allowed to use the copy of Windows that came with your machine in a VM, this is as a replacement for, not as well as, the original installation. The installation will require use of the COA Key, as a VM does not have the appropriate BIOS to self-activate the OEM_SLP Key that the Recovery system uses.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:07 PM
  • If the copy of Windows that shipped with your computer is a preinstalled (OEM) copy of Windows, it is not valid for use in a virtual machine.  An OEM license is permanently assigned to the first device on which it was installed (the Samsung).  An OEM license may not be transferred to another device, including a virtual one.  You need to purchase a full license copy of Windows 7 for use in VirtualBox, VMWare, WVPC, Parallels, or any other virtualization solution.  Only retail Windows licenses are valid for use in VirtualBox.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Not true, Colin.

In the OEM License, it now states that it can indeed be used in a VM - (from my machine)....

d. Use with Virtualization Technologies.

Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer. When used in a virtualized environment, content protected by digital rights management technology, BitLocker or any full volume disk drive encryption technology may not be as secure as protected content not in a virtualized environment. You should comply with all domestic and international laws that apply to such protected content.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Sorry, Noel, but this is a standard passage in all the licenses.  It was added about three years ago when Microsoft rescinded the ban on virtualizing Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium.  But it is a no-go with OEM licenses.  The license is permanently assigned to the device on which it shipped and cannot be used on another computer.  A virtual machine is another computer.  The license reads as follows and Darin will confirm the interpretation:

1. OVERVIEW.

a. Software.

The software includes desktop operating system software. This software does not include Windows Live services. Windows Live services are available from Microsoft under a separate agreement.

b. License Model.

The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis. A computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Computer.

The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the "licensed computer."

b. Licensed Computer.

You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

I know of no situation in which an OEM license can be used in any manner except in the manner in which it was initially installed, disregarding certain Server licenses.  None. 

Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:31 PM
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:adf40394-babe-4bee-ac2e-6936168abc0e...

Sorry, Noel, but this is a standard passage in all the licenses.  It was added about three years ago when Microsoft rescinded the ban on virtualizing Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium.  But it is a no-go with OEM licenses.  The license is permanently assigned to the device on which it shipped and cannot be used on another computer.  A virtual machine is another computer.  The license reads as follows and Darin will confirm the interpretation:

1. OVERVIEW.

a. Software.

The software includes desktop operating system software. This software does not include Windows Live services. Windows Live services are available from Microsoft under a separate agreement.

b. License Model.

The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis. A computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the "licensed computer."

b. Licensed Computer.

You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

I know of no situation in which an OEM license can be used in any manner except in the manner in which it was initially installed, disregarding certain Server licenses.  None.

My quote is from the OEM license on my computer – read on.
    They can’t have it both ways :)

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Noel, it is in mine also, OEM and retail.  But the ban against transferring the license is in OEM licenses and is one of those "notwithstanding other statements to the contrary" clauses.  Ask Darin!

From retail:

2.   INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a.   One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

From OEM:

"2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the "licensed computer.""

Another point is that the retail license is between the user and Microsoft.  That means that Microsoft will support the software wherever the user chooses to install it as long it only installed in one place.  That is a consideration in retail pricing.

"These license terms are an agreement between Microsoft Corporation (or based on where you live, one of its affiliates) and you."

The OEM license is between the user and the OEM. 

"These license terms are an agreement between you and

· the computer manufacturer that distributes the software with the computer, or

· the software installer that distributes the software with the computer."

That means that OEM software is only supportable if installed where the OEM/Installer installed it and no where else.  Support is a big issue to Microsoft but Microsoft cannot require the OEM/Installer to support the software except where he put it.  Hence the restriction.  Microsoft knows it cannot require the OEM/Installer to support the software in a configuration for which he is not prepared. 

The user must always be out-of-compliance when using OEM software anywhere but where it was originally assigned.  Even if permission were granted to use OEM Windows in a vm, the OEM/Installer, not Microsoft, would have to grant that permission since the license is between him and the user.  Call your OEM and see if you have permission to use the OS in a vm.  Check it out.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:15 PM
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:1426f7d7-99a7-4d18-a476-dc673a4ae987...

Noel, it is in mine also, OEM and retail.  But the ban against transferring the license is in OEM licenses and is one of those "notwithstanding other statements to the contrary" clauses.  Ask Darin!

From retail:

2.   INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a.   One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

From OEM:

"2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the "licensed computer.""

Another point is that the retail license is between the user and Microsoft.  That means that Microsoft will support the software wherever the user chooses to install it as long it only installed in one place.  That is a consideration in retail pricing.

"These license terms are an agreement between Microsoft Corporation (or based on where you live, one of its affiliates) and you."

The OEM license is between the user and the OEM. 

"These license terms are an agreement between you and

· the computer manufacturer that distributes the software with the computer, or

· the software installer that distributes the software with the computer."

That means that OEM software is only supportable if installed where the OEM/Installer installed it and no where else.  Support is a big issue to Microsoft but Microsoft cannot require the OEM/Installer to support the software except where he put it.  Hence the restriction.  Microsoft knows it cannot require the OEM/Installer to support the software in a configuration for which he is not prepared. 

The user must always be out-of-compliance when using OEM software anywhere but where it was originally assigned.  Even if permission were granted to use OEM Windows in a vm, the OEM/Installer, not Microsoft, would have to grant that permission since the license is between him and the user.  Call your OEM and see if you have permission to use the OS in a vm.  Check it out.

I know of at least two cases where phone activation has been approved after specifically stating that it was a COA Key from a Direct OEM COA.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:30 PM
  • I doubt that is approved procedure.  Did the caller tell the agent that it was a virtual machine?  Did the agent make a correct decision?  I have emailed Darin with the issue.  Hopefully he will pursue and respond in the thread.  An OEM COA should not be valid in a vm because the software was not preinstalled in a vm.  The only legit OEM virtual machines currently are XP Mode, which uses an OEM license.  The door is certainly open for OEM licenses in virtual machines (appliances) distributed by an OEM but not ones created by end users.  It is likely that such distribution would take place within an enterprise.  Microsoft also distributes time-limited virtual machines for developer testing, such as the Internet Explorer appliances for testing IE7, 8, and 9.  I believe those have MS OEM licenses.  But again, there should never be a case in which a user can legitimately install an OEM Windows license in a virtual machine. 

End users cannot legitimately install OEM copies of Windows.  There is no guarantee that the end user sees the terms of the license and accepts them when a recovery disk is used in a vm.  The OOBE file is not present.  That is an important legal issue for MS.  And we know that System Builder licenses forbid an end user from installing the softwhere anywhere.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Unfortunately, an OEM SLP (System Locked Preinstallation) version of Windows 7 cannot be used in a VirtualBox installation.  The VirtualBox does not have the proper authenticating BIOS required to activate the license.  You would need to purchase a "Full Retail Version" of Windows 7 and perform a "clean install".
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Perhaps with a never before activated "generic" OEM license, but not with a OEM SLP (System Locked Preinstallation) Windows 7 license.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:56 PM
  • "Carey Frisch" wrote in message news:f617c2d0-5478-470f-8028-3d51cdc2f451...
    Perhaps with a never before activated "generic" OEM license, but not with a OEM SLP (System Locked Preinstallation) Windows 7 license.
    Carey Frisch

Didn’t you bother to read what I wrote Carey? – I specified that it would have to be the COA Key.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:18 PM
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:c53bf9c1-0840-4acb-84ce-7e66698f2dee...

I doubt that is approved procedure.  Did the caller tell the agent that it was a virtual machine?  Did the agent make a correct decision?  I have emailed Darin with the issue.  Hopefully he will pursue and respond in the thread.  An OEM COA should not be valid in a vm because the software was not preinstalled in a vm.  The only legit OEM virtual machines currently are XP Mode, which uses an OEM license.  The door is certainly open for OEM licenses in virtual machines (appliances) distributed by an OEM but not ones created by end users.  It is likely that such distribution would take place within an enterprise.  Microsoft also distributes time-limited virtual machines for developer testing, such as the Internet Explorer appliances for testing IE7, 8, and 9.  I believe those have MS OEM licenses.  But again, there should never be a case in which a user can legitimately install an OEM Windows license in a virtual machine.

End users cannot legitimately install OEM copies of Windows.  There is no guarantee that the end user sees the terms of the license and accepts them when a recovery disk is used in a vm.  The OOBE file is not present.  That is an important legal issue for MS.  And we know that System Builder licenses forbid an end user from installing the softwhere anywhere.

The System Builder License doesn’t prevent the end-user doing anything. It’s a contract between MS and the System Builder.
    It’s ONLY the OEM EULA that the end-user agrees to – and it’s ONLY that he has to abide by. It specifically states that the installation can be moved to a VM, instead of bare metal.
    The SB SLTs have nothing to do with it.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Carey,

Where do you find "a never before activated "generic" OEM license"?  I have never seen one.  OEM System Builder installations are covered by the System Builder license, which forbids use by other than builders selling the computers to customers.  OEM Refurbisher licenses work the same way.  Where can I get a "generic" OEM license?  Perhaps you intended a different term than "generic"?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Sometimes folks just ignore reading and abiding by the terms of the OEM System Builders license. An example of of a generic OEM license would be Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:30 PM
  • That is a System Builder pack.  It is not generic.  To my knowledge there is no generic Windows software.  There is OEM, retail, and volume licensed.
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:37 PM
  • By "generic" I mean it does not have the customized SLP files intergrated into it such as a Samsung Windows 7 Reinstallation disk would have.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:45 PM
  • My point is that if an end user purchases a System Builder pack he agrees to the SB license when he breaks the seals on each end of the pack so he can remove the wrapper.  The SB license is printed on the wrapper.  If the end user purchases an SB pack but then uses it on his own computer the end user has violated the terms of the SB license. 

The SB license states in pertinent part:

1. Definitions.

a. “Customer System” means a fully assembled computer system that includes a CPU, a motherboard, a power supply, an internally mounted NAND or revolving magnetic-based hard drive, and a case. For Server products, a hard drive and separate power supply are not required. A Customer System must meet the system requirements of the software as posted on http://www.microsoft.com and must be able to run the Software.

b. “Distribution” and “distribute” mean the point in time when a Customer System leaves your control.

c. “Hardware” means the Microsoft hardware included in the Pack. A unit of Hardware includes any Software and end user documentation that may be included in the Pack.

d. “OPK” means the OEM preinstallation kit provided by Microsoft that includes installation instructions, utilities and tools for preinstalling the Software.

e. “Pack” means this package of Microsoft Software or Hardware.

f. “Software” means the Microsoft Software inside the Pack. A unit of Software includes any Software media, documentation, certificate of authenticity (“COA”) label, end user license terms and security devices.

2. Authorized Distribution and Acceptance.

To distribute the Software or Hardware in this Pack, you must be a System Builder and accept this license. “System Builder” means an original equipment manufacturer, an assembler, a refurbisher, or a software pre-installer that sells the Customer System(s) to a third party.

You accept this license when you open this Pack. 

The OPK is required so that a system builder builds an OOBE that runs when the end user starts the computer for the first time and sees the EULA and accepts it.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:47 PM
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:fc4ba684-b2e3-4ea7-87d3-9f1877dcbee4...

My point is that if an end user purchases a System Builder pack he agrees to the SB license when he breaks the seals on each end of the pack so he can remove the wrapper.  The SB license is printed on the wrapper.  If the end user purchases an SB pack but then uses it on his own computer the end user has violated the terms of the SB license.

<snip>

The OPK is required so that a system builder builds an OOBE that runs when the end user starts the computer for the first time and sees the EULA and accepts it.

As an SB myself, I’m well ware of the license terms :)
    The reason the OPK is required is because of pre-installation.
    The EULA is displayed for the end-user when installing from the SB disks without the OPK – at the same point in the install as for Retail users.
    Yes, the End-User has broken the terms of the SB license they agreed to when opening the pack (assuming of course that he purchased a full pack, and not a broken-down multi-pack) but that is irrelevant at the point we are talking about.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:34 PM
  • And that is the problem.  The EULA is displayed when the system builder installs the software because an SB dvd is just a standard Windows installation dvd.  But the need is to display the EULA to the END USER.  Hence the OPK.  That is how the END USER comes to see and accept the EULA.  Otherwise only the installer would see it.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 7:10 AM
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:491c312b-30ed-4e74-962b-e7656b61de3a...
    And that is the problem.  The EULA is displayed when the system builder installs the software because an SB dvd is just a standard Windows installation dvd.  But the need is to display the EULA to the END USER.  Hence the OPK.  That is how the END USER comes to see and accept the EULA.  Otherwise only the installer would see it.

Exactly – and the installer DOES show the EULA when used for a reinstall!

Friday, November 18, 2011 9:26 AM
  • I found this after reading a similar thread at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-64-bit-professional-oem-license-as-a/2fa20444-1892-4997-8a42-e5104f4dbd95 and am interested as I am wanting to play around with VM's and see OEM licences as a viable approach but had licencing concerns.

After reading through the arguments, I decided to take a look at the EULA's for a couple of my machines.

Digression: MS certainly don't make it easy to find the correct EULA on a running machine - I would of thought a button/shortcut on the System Properties page would be appropriate. In XP at least there is a help topic "What does the End-User License Agreement (EULA) say?" which has a direct link to the EULA for my XP laptop (in this case OEM). In Windows 7 the help article "Read the Microsoft Software License Terms" doesn't contain a link, only instructions as to how to find and locate the EULA on your machine. Following these instructions exactly on a brand new DELL laptop I get the following results:

1. Computer -> Properties: The edition of Windows I am running is "Windows 7 Professional", note no further qualification is given.

2. License terms: C:\Windows\System32\en-US\Licenses\_Default\Professional\License.rtf

Now comes the fun!!

1. This computer is activated etc with the original OEM  build (Product ID: 00371-OEM- etc.)

2. The license contained in the file has the EULAID: Win7SP1_RM.2_PRO_RTL_en-us - ie. not an OEM license.

As I've 'opened' this machine a few days back, I have no idea which EULA was displayed on first use (what normal end-user either reads it there and then or prints it off?) (although I suppose I could do a factory image restore and take a second look). The lawyers will have a hard time enforcing OEM license rules in these circumstances...

Roland

Aside: this is an off topic observation that care needs to be taken to ensure that you are reading the correct EULA for your installation of Windows 7.
    • Edited by RB16 Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:01 AM Aside added
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:59 PM
  • tronen,

Putting to one side the legal aspects of using a Windows 7 OEM license in a VM on the same computer as it was shipped on, it would seem that either:

1. The upgrade of VirtualBox has probably caused a 'significant' change in the VM environment, this can probably confirm this by visiting the VirtualBox forums and seeing if other users have had exactly the same problem with this upgrade.

2. You have failed to correctly activate Windows 7 using the COA within the 30 day grace period.

Roland

Friday, November 18, 2011 3:19 PM
  • If the copy of Windows that shipped with your computer is a preinstalled (OEM) copy of Windows, it is not valid for use in a virtual machine.  An OEM license is permanently assigned to the first device on which it was installed (the Samsung).  An OEM license may not be transferred to another device, including a virtual one.  You need to purchase a full license copy of Windows 7 for use in VirtualBox, VMWare, WVPC, Parallels, or any other virtualization solution.  Only retail Windows licenses are valid for use in VirtualBox.

An OEM license is "licensed on a per computer basis. A computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software." [para. 1.b] Note it doesn't say how the computer can be made capable of running the software and neither does it exclude the use of a VM.

"The software is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed." [Para. 2.a]

Running the software within a VM on the computer complies with this. Obviously moving the VM to another computer does breach the license [para 2.b]

Roland

License Referenced: EULAID:Win7SP1_RM.2_PRO_OEM_en-us
    • Edited by RB16 Friday, November 18, 2011 3:36 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:35 PM
  • An OEM license is NOT transferrable to a virtual computer even when run on the same physical computer as it was originally installed.  Ask this one in the virtualization forum at

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprovirt/threads

This has been hashed out there long ago. 

Transferrable licenses are classified as retail licenses (boxed, MSDN, TechNet, BizSpark, etc).  OEM licenses are not.

Friday, November 18, 2011 3:45 PM
  • "RB16" wrote in message news:28958da6-39a6-4f1e-9a38-7fab7f7ae8f1...

As I've 'opened' this machine a few days back, I have no idea which EULA was displayed on first use (what normal end-user either reads it there and then or prints it off?) (although I suppose I could do a factory image restore and take a second look). The lawyers will have a hard time enforcing OEM license rules in these circumstances...

Roland

ALL of the above is effectively irrelevant, as you followed none of the forum guidelines – posting a NEW thread of your own, and including an MGADiag report from the affected system.
    Once you do that, we will be more than happy to look at your problem.

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:41 PM
  • "Cbarnhorst" wrote in message news:9fae0652-82bf-4afa-8c5a-bc1bc2315be1...

An OEM license is NOT transferrable to a virtual computer even when run on the same physical computer as it was originally installed.

Umm?

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:42 PM
  • I am having a hard time following this thread and if that issue has been address and resolved.

If it has, would the Original Poster or one of the Community Answerers mark the proper post as the answer.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:37 PM
  • An OEM license is NOT transferrable to a virtual computer even when run on the same physical computer as it was originally installed.  Ask this one in the virtualization forum at

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprovirt/threads

This has been hashed out there long ago. 

Transferrable licenses are classified as retail licenses (boxed, MSDN, TechNet, BizSpark, etc).  OEM licenses are not.

The EULAID:Win7SP1_RM.2_PRO_OEM_en-us quite clearly grants the end-user a specific VM 'use right':

3. d. Use with Virtualization Technologies. Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer.

[Emphasis in bold italics taken from comment in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/cc026bb2-a68c-40cf-8286-d02ad364b25e]

So I believe that tronen is not doing anything wrong from a general licensing viewpoint, but without the MGADiag log it is impossible to say just what exactly tronen has and has not done.

Roland

Saturday, November 19, 2011 12:35 AM
  • Several of us are in discussion with Microsoft to get a single opinion.  A Microsoft licensing analyst has answered that,

"Yes, a user can use his/her OEM SLP Windows as a VM as long as it is used only on the computer the OEM SLP software originally came with. "

We are all appreciative of something definitive for all of us.  I stand corrected and apologize for any inconvenience.Just be sure that you are not using an OEM license that you upgraded with an upgrade license or Anytime Upgrade.  An upgraded license cannot be reused.

• Proposed as answer by Jharris1993 Monday, April 23, 2012 1:24 AM
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Colin,

Your apology is more than acceptable, particularly as the authorative opinion, demonstrates your commitment to providing correct and accurate information.

I have therefore up voted your posting and would hope that others who rely on the expertise of yourself and other key contributors do likewise.

Roland

Monday, November 21, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Thank you and I am more than happy just to get it right.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

I've a problem similar to that of Tronen.

I've recently bought a Lenovo X220 with Win7 Professional installed on. I made a second partition and installed Linux in it. Then I installed VirtualBox in Linux and configured it to boot the native (i.e. physical) Win7 installation under Linux. It all worked fine until few days ago (about 1 month since I started using Win7 in the virtual machine), when Win7 started complaining that the copy was not genuine. 

Please note that the non-genuine complain occurs only in the virtual machine. If I boot Win7 in the real machine, there is no complain at all. I paste below both the MGADial logs I get from the virtual machine and the real one. 

Any help will be appreciate.

Thanks, 

Luca

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MGADiag log on the  VIRTUAL MACHINE

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 50
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-MV8MH-98QJM-24367
    Windows Product Key Hash: wgci5Gdejx4esg7++zTOe3LWF+4=
    Windows Product ID: 55041-OEM-8992671-00437
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048
    ID: {8082F496-5DF9-4F14-A60B-D77E814F3F2E}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_gdr.120305-1505
    TTS Error: 
    Validation Diagnostic: 
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{8082F496-5DF9-4F14-A60B-D77E814F3F2E}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-24367</PKey><PID>55041-OEM-8992671-00437</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-397126928-4120038980-2963431397</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>innotek GmbH</Manufacturer><Model>VirtualBox</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>innotek GmbH</Manufacturer><Version>VirtualBox</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20061201000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B4E53307018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0410</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0410</SystemLCID><TimeZone>ora solare Europa occidentale(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>7645FAF7BA8D86</Val><Hash>eOhIinELL150RHqmPMpZSPp88yQ=</Hash><Pid>89409-707-3456262-65117</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Versione servizio di gestione licenze software: 6.1.7601.17514

Nome: Windows(R) 7, Professional edition
    Descrizione: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
    ID di attivazione50e329f7-a5fa-46b2-85fd-f224e5da7764
    ID applicazione: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    PID esteso: 00371-00178-926-700437-02-1033-7601.0000-0462011
    ID di installazione: 004373670225231094402295196362080611673280832451861675
    URL certificato processore: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    URL certificato computer: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    URL licenza d'uso: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    URL certificato codice "Product Key": http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Codice "Product Key" parziale: 24367
    Stato licenza: notifica
    Motivo notifica: 0xC004F057.
    Numero di ripristini Windows rimanenti: 2
    Ora attendibile: 24/04/2012 10:34:15

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0x00000000
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 3:15:2012 13:30
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: LAAAAAEAAwABAAEAAAAAAAAAAQABAAEAeqjgCrytJGbmt/7bZAt26KCtZmY=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table
    Windows marker version: N/A
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A
    BIOS Information: 
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC VBOX   VBOXAPIC
      FACP VBOX   VBOXFACP
      SSDT VBOX   VBOXCPUT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MGADiag log on the  REAL MACHINE

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-MV8MH-98QJM-24367
    Windows Product Key Hash: wgci5Gdejx4esg7++zTOe3LWF+4=
    Windows Product ID: 55041-OEM-8992671-00437
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048
    ID: {1B8871A2-83B1-4670-A6F6-B794F41BC314}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_gdr.120305-1505
    TTS Error: 
    Validation Diagnostic: 
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{1B8871A2-83B1-4670-A6F6-B794F41BC314}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-24367</PKey><PID>55041-OEM-8992671-00437</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-397126928-4120038980-2963431397</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>LENOVO</Manufacturer><Model>42914CG</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>LENOVO</Manufacturer><Version>8DET56WW (1.26 )</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="6"/><Date>20111201000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>B4E53307018400FE</HWID><UserLCID>0410</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0410</SystemLCID><TimeZone>ora solare Europa occidentale(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>LENOVO</OEMID><OEMTableID>TP-8D   </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>7645FAF7BA8D86</Val><Hash>eOhIinELL150RHqmPMpZSPp88yQ=</Hash><Pid>89409-707-3456262-65117</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Versione servizio di gestione licenze software: 6.1.7601.17514

Nome: Windows(R) 7, Professional edition
    Descrizione: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel
    ID di attivazione50e329f7-a5fa-46b2-85fd-f224e5da7764
    ID applicazione: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    PID esteso: 00371-00178-926-700437-02-1033-7601.0000-0462011
    ID di installazione: 013111301806741692473482665141059946269291853460128305
    URL certificato processore: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    URL certificato computer: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    URL licenza d'uso: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    URL certificato codice "Product Key": http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Codice "Product Key" parziale: 24367
    Stato licenza: concesso in licenza
    Numero di ripristini Windows rimanenti: 2
    Ora attendibile: 23/04/2012 13:34:18

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0x00000000
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 3:15:2012 13:30
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: LAAAAAAAAQABAAEAAAABAAAAAwABAAEAln1GKVamLuluP24GDkUuTJK+LnM=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20001
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information: 
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC LENOVO TP-8D   
      FACP LENOVO TP-8D   
      HPET LENOVO TP-8D   
      MCFG LENOVO TP-8D   
      SLIC LENOVO TP-8D   
      SSDT LENOVO TP-SSDT2
      SSDT LENOVO TP-SSDT2
      SSDT LENOVO TP-SSDT2
      ECDT LENOVO TP-8D   
      ASF! LENOVO TP-8D   
      TCPA PTL LENOVO
      SSDT LENOVO TP-SSDT2
      SSDT LENOVO TP-SSDT2
      DMAR INTEL SNB 
      UEFI LENOVO TP-8D   
      UEFI LENOVO TP-8D   
      UEFI LENOVO TP-8D   

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Please read the Read Before Posting sticky at the top of this forum page and post your report in your own new thread.  You are piggybacking on another poster's message.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Sorry, just done so.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:00 PM