none
Phil: Geographically Blocked PID???

Answers

• Dan:

Like any other counterfeit software, the "Blocked VLK" (or even Geographically Blocked VLK) is a volume license instructed to Microsoft by the original purchaser (corporation/company/business/university, etc) to block.

Many times, Product Keys are leaked (by internet, word of mouth, etc) and used illegally overseas, but legally in some regions. The original purchaser wanted it blocked in certain regions of the world for business reasons (way above me).

One quick example is a business that does do international business and has VLK's in use all over the world except (just an example) Malaysia. A large corporation doesn't want the issue of "fixing" their entire VLK use worldwide, so they have the option to just block use in Malaysia.

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:37 PM

All replies

• Product Keys blocked for use in specific regions. :)
    Friday, June 02, 2006 5:30 AM
  • Phil,

Just curious about why a PK holder would have that on a PK?  Can you give me an example?  (Just trying to understand the system.)

Thanks again!

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:28 PM
  • Dan:

Like any other counterfeit software, the "Blocked VLK" (or even Geographically Blocked VLK) is a volume license instructed to Microsoft by the original purchaser (corporation/company/business/university, etc) to block.

Many times, Product Keys are leaked (by internet, word of mouth, etc) and used illegally overseas, but legally in some regions. The original purchaser wanted it blocked in certain regions of the world for business reasons (way above me).

One quick example is a business that does do international business and has VLK's in use all over the world except (just an example) Malaysia. A large corporation doesn't want the issue of "fixing" their entire VLK use worldwide, so they have the option to just block use in Malaysia.

I hope this helps,

-Phil Liu

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:37 PM
  • Phil,

Thanks for taking the time to explain...it makes sense to me 'cause I'm a .  LOL

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:42 PM
  • Thanks for your continued feedback and support of the forum. I've recieved comments from the support staff that we're grateful for both yourself and Carey's input.

.. No, I'm not a support staff :).

Friday, June 02, 2006 8:52 PM
  • Phil,

You're welcome!

But, I gotta get a life!  LOL

Friday, June 02, 2006 9:01 PM