Is there a forum for MR?

Question

• I am working with RTM version of Management Repoter.  I can't be the only one asking these questions:

1. First of all, when will the VPC/HyperV image for RTM version of MR be released?  I heard July, but I need it now.  I installed the HyperV version and the beta reg key has expired.  So I had to build an image myself with RTM for MR.  This was a huge waste of time.
    2. Where is the sample data?  I read on KB that it was available for purchase in July.  But I don't see it yet.  Buy it, really?  We need that for demo'ing the software.
    3. The natural account in TWO is STILL segment 1.  That needs to be fixed in Fabrikam (it's been like that for years).  It should be segment 2 - messes up creating reports from scratch.  I have to go in and change the Account Format and run checklinks on the Account Master.
    4. Where is the sigma sign in MR?  This is missing functionality from FRx that is not documented anywhere.  How do I easily get totals set up?
    5. Where is the user guide for MR?

Very frustrating.  Any news would be apprciated.  Please set up a forum for MR RTM please.

Thanks,

Mary

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Mary,

I'll be assisting you with these questions.  

1. First of all, when will the VPC/HyperV image for RTM version of MR be released? 

This is actively being worked on. I don't have exact dates, but should be available very shortly.

2. Where is the sample data?  The FW trainer pack will be available late this month (last I heard) in the form of a VPC. Otherwise you can provide standard training with GP 2010 TWO demo data. There will be a few sample reports released with the updated GP2010 VPC.

3. The natural account in TWO is STILL segment 1.  That needs to be fixed in Fabrikam (it's been like that for years).  It should be segment 2 - messes up creating reports from scratch.  I have to go in and change the Account Format and run checklinks on the Account Master.

I'll check into if this is a bug, or just a known issue. I've submitted feedback to see if we can make this a step on all VPCs going forward.

4. Where is the sigma sign in MR?  This is missing functionality from FRx that is not documented anywhere.  How do I easily get totals set up?

The autosum function wasn't added to Management Reporter. It had limited use so was not added. Since it grabs the starting row as the next line after a TOT it often grabbed more information that what it should have. Do you feel that this feature was helpful? I'd be happy to submit a product enhancement if you think it warrants attention. You can still easily type in the TOT formula.

There are several document links on the MR install CD. Most users follow the Essentials I & II which will be available to partners shortly. Otherwise the Essentials I & II are already posted as eLearnings on CustomerSoruce. Much of the same information is available in the online help.

If you are looking for specific user docs let me know and I'd be happy to investigate further.

You can post MR related questions in the GP Partner Forum. Log into PartnerSource and click on Communities. We monitor and answer questions about RTM MR there.

Thanks much

Ryan

Monday, July 19, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Ryan,

Thanks for the update.  See some of my comments below:

2. Where is the sample data?  The FW trainer pack will be available late this month (last I heard) in the form of a VPC. Otherwise you can provide standard training with GP 2010 TWO demo data. There will be a few sample reports released with the updated GP2010 VPC.

I look forward to getting the trainer pack, but in FRx, we had tons of sample reports that we could use as trainers and to demo from, but also for customers to use as samples to copy formats from.  This is a big chunk of usefulness that is gone.  I was able to migrate the Filmworks reports, but of course, the chart of accounts is not the same and I was unable to quickly create reports that tied out.  Also, the copy and paste funtion that was there before does not work consistently.  Most times I got an error that the clipboard did not work and it kicked me out of MR!

I'll check into if this is a bug, or just a known issue. I've submitted feedback to see if we can make this a step on all VPCs going forward. - That would be great.

The autosum function wasn't added to Management Reporter. It had limited use so was not added. Since it grabs the starting row as the next line after a TOT it often grabbed more information that what it should have. Do you feel that this feature was helpful? I'd be happy to submit a product enhancement if you think it warrants attention. You can still easily type in the TOT formula.

I was using and training customers on FRx for 10 years and the autosum was integral to creating reports and everyone I taught used it.  I'm very surprised that it was deemed not helpful.  I looked at the online training and could not find easily how to put in totals.  I copied some reports that were migrated such as:  100:200, but this is not intuitive and I didn't look too hard in the online help, but I prefer a training manual or user guide to look those types of things up and to refer back to afterwards.

There are several document links on the MR install CD. Most users follow the Essentials I & II which will be available to partners shortly. Otherwise the Essentials I & II are already posted as eLearnings on CustomerSoruce. Much of the same information is available in the online help.

Who are most users if the partners don't have access to these Essentials I and II you refer to?  eLearning is not an alternative to a user guide which you can use any time as a reference.  I'll look closer at online help.

Thanks again for your responses.  I'll post on the GP forum for additional questions.

Mary

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Agreed.  Five consultants just reviewed new features in Managemente Reporter, and said all have used Autosum in training.  Please consider adding back into MR>
    Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Mary I agree with everything you say above.  In addtion there are bugs I've alredy uncovered.

1-Drilldown viewer doesn't show the account number's correct.

2-Drilldown viewer doesn't show the account description correctly. Right now it only shows the "category" name.

3-TWO company data. Don't bother writing reports here. Waste of time.  TWO data only has demo data in one other segment other than the main. How to demo multiple levels of the tree format.

4-MR is "named-user" whereas GP is con-current user.  So you're not able to create more users than your user licence... that's entire user count for all aspects of MR.. Designer, Laucher, Viewer.

The only nice thing I like about it is that you can now arrange your reports into folders!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:03 PM
  • I'd like to add my comment that the auto-sum button is EXTREMELY helpful functionality, and is used in virtually any report of any complexity.  It saves having to scroll up the row format to find the beginning row number, and it almost always picks the appropriate row number.

Also, the clipboard error is incredibly frustrating.  I discovered it when halfway through a complex row format, which I (foolishly) had not yet saved.  During a copy/paste, I got the clipboard error, so goodbye row format.  Perhaps the error could be accompanied by a 'please start all over' statement.

Our motto for MR is "All the instability of FRx, with 1/3 the functionality"

Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:13 PM