none
Any chance for Songsmith 2.0? Or "pro" version?

General discussion

• The program is lovely. Purely A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I've got many nice melodic ideas, but I'm not an arranger or instrumentalist, so hello, Songsmith. The concept is so simple that I wonder why anybody in the world haven't come up with it before (BIAB does similar this stuff too, but - correct me if I'm wrong - it does not add the chords to the given melody line).

It's true that Songsmith usually fails to find a chord matching the singing in real time. But the chords Songsmith found are easily editable and switchable to the right ones, and once I do that, I'm in heaven.

However, to make this heaven even more heavenly, I'd like to see more sequencing capabilities in this software, ie. I should be able to duplicate parts of arrangemet into many choruses or verses, with the audio track or without it. I should be able to produce a full song. Will this software be ever developed/upgraded? Will there ever be a version 2.0?

Best regards to all the Songsmith MS team.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:30 AM

All replies

• Glad you're having fun with Songsmith!

In order to keep Songsmith's interface clean and simple, so it could be a "quick scratchpad" for song ideas for both experts and novices, we elected not to build in a lot of sequencing facilities you'd see in more pro-oriented music software.  However, just for this reason, we put a lot of care into the export functionality, so that there will be zero time offset between exported MIDI and wav files.  This means that you can quickly drag your instrument/voice/MIDI into a sequencer app to do looping, post-processing, instrument replacement, etc., without having to do any manual time alignment.  Think of Songsmith as the scratchpad you'd use to capture a verse or chorus, not a full song-level production suite.  

If one app tries to do everything, it may not do anything well. :)

Hope that helps!

-Dan from the Songsmith Team

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 8:35 AM