none
Continued use of MS Money

Question

• Following the decision to drop Microsoft Money I, like many others, has been exasperated in my attempt to find a satisfactory replacement...I have happily used Money for many years and I really am keen to just keep using it..........this might create a problem.......I use Money V5 (14.0.120.1105), I do have the original installation CD but there was a Service Pack issued in, I think, 2006, and an updated file was required......without this updated file teh program will not run.

So, thinking ahead, as I want to continue using it I am concerned at the possibility of a laptop crash requiring reinstallation, something I can no longer do with the original disk becaue of the 'missing' update file......so my question is this; How can I backup my copy of MS Money, including all required components such as registry keys, to a portable hard-drive fro safe keeping?

Any halp will be greatly appreciated.

Paul F Greig    pfgreig@yahoo.com

Brisbane, Australia

Tuesday, October 05, 2010 10:30 AM

All replies

• Thank you very much

Paul

Paul F Greig
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 12:50 AM
  • I attempted to make an Installation disc for Money 2005 with the 1105 patch as per http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx but I am unable to locate the MnyCoreFiles folder anywhere on my computer??....they are supposed to be in my c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005 folder but they are not, I have unhidden all files...any ideas anyone?

Paul.

Paul F Greig
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 2:18 AM
  • It should be there. I infer you are saying that the "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005" folder is there. In Windows Explorer, paste the following line into the box at the top:

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MnyCoreFiles

If that does not work for you, you could turn off the Hidden attribute on the MnyCoreFiles in a command window using the attrib command.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 2:35 AM
  • Thank you so much, I had infact forgotten to turn off the 'hidden' attributes...all is fine now :)

Paul

Paul F Greig
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 3:44 AM
  • And note--if you haven't already--that you will ALWAYS need the original installation CD and so forth to do the basic install. The patched MnyCoreFiles backup is necessary but not by itself sufficient. Things like registry keys still need to be reinstalled form the installer and the original installation media.

Wednesday, October 06, 2010 12:06 PM
  • Thank you Dick....ok, so now I have my original CD and I have the one I have made by following the above instructions...as a 'technically challanged person' can you guide me on the procedure I will now need to follow should I need to do a re-installation in the future?....

Appreciate your help.

Paul.

Paul F Greig
    Wednesday, October 06, 2010 11:06 PM
  • The process as I understand it is to install M05 just like always from your original M05 distribution media. Then you copy the MnyCoreFiles you've saved from the PATCHED version of M05 when patches were still available over the original M05 MnyCoreFiles installed from the distribution media. Copying those files over is just the inverse of what you just did to capture them to CD.
    • Proposed as answer by Johnrbull Sunday, October 24, 2010 9:29 PM
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 2:36 AM
  • Just purchased a new laptop with Windows 7.  I have MS Money 2006 on my old one.  I have original CD but it won't install in Windows 7.  How do I get my money files into a money program or some other on my new laptop?  Do I need a new program and if so which one?
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 5:22 PM
  • You might also better describe "it won't install" as it should. What happens? What error messages? Etc.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Dick,

You said"And note--if you haven't already--that you will ALWAYS need the original installation CD and so forth to do the basic install. The patched MnyCoreFiles backup is necessary but not by itself sufficient. Things like registry keys still need to be reinstalled form the installer and the original installation media."

I'm a bit confused!

In http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx It says: Copy the files from Money2005 CD (original installation disc) to a new folder (say, 'Money2005Update')  and into this folder copy the entire contents of the MnyCoreFiles folder from an updated installation of Money" Then I should burn a CD with this folder ( Money2005Update') on it.

If I need the original installation disk and the new CD ( Money2005Update) to carry out an installation as you say, why did I copy the files from the original installation disc into a folder(Money2005Update) and then to a CD, why can't I just copy the contents of the MnyCoreFiles folder ?

Sunday, October 24, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Good Question.

Yes, I believe that the article 630 method is suggesting you will end up with a new self supporting .1105 install CD. People have succeeded with this. I'm not sure I apprecated that was the method being described. So I probably confused you.

Personally, I'd be leary of that unless I immediately tested it. I'd also wonder whether it works with both the CD and download installers. So I'd probably setup to preserve both options: Original Install Media+Patched Files and New Install Media With Patched Files Copied In.

But I'd also bag M05 and go straight to M+ Sunset--if US locale was my requirement. I *despised* M05. One of only one or two Money releases that was SO BAD I just skipped it. Note it was so buggy that it shipped--I'm guessing with MS knowing how bad it was--and almost immediately got a patch that was so far reaching it broke file compatibility. Only time a patch EVER did that in the history of the product. M05 was the last time the Money team tried to do a significant release. I think it was one of the nails in the coffin.

Sunday, October 24, 2010 11:43 PM
  • I can confirm that, once the aforementioned instructions are followed to the letter, you WILL end up with a new stand-alone installation disc and the original CD is no longer required.  The new CD installs Money 2005 v1105

I created this disc last year and it works perfectly.

We have just 2 months until Microsoft turn off their Money servers (as far as I know!) so time to get "burning"!!!

Thursday, October 28, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Perhaps, it is inappropriate of me for asking, but is there an image (iso) of the new cd with v1105 available for download anywhere or does every UK user wanting to secure the future have to create their own.

:-)

Saturday, November 06, 2010 8:09 AM
  • There is no iso available and every UK and international user of Money 2005 has to create their own backup. There are several regional versions of Money 2005 which are affected by the issue.

There will be many users of Money 2005 who have no idea that they will be unable to upgrade their version of Windows or reinstall if their system fails.

I remember the issue was raised with Microsoft by the MVPs in the old UK Money forum but no patch or updated installation resulted, probably because by then there was no team in place which could test and validate the update.

This is likely to turn into a major problem for Microsoft because the Money 2005 data files will become inaccessible but some will need the information for tax and other statutory purposes.

The initial announcement for the US Money versions simply said that support would be discontinued. The Sunset versions were probably created when Microsoft recognised the problem that inability to reinstall would create. Microsoft has not - yet - realised that they will have to prepare Sunset versions for the affected regional versions of Money 2005.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 8:46 AM
  • (not even unofficially!!)

Thank you, I'd best get burning.

Ian

Saturday, November 06, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Burnt it and tested it, all OK, Thank you :-)
    Saturday, November 06, 2010 5:08 PM
  • As well as copying the

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MnyCoreFiles from a working installation of the 1105 version to your new machine, you will also need to run Regedit on the computer with the 1105 version of Money and navigate to:

hkey_local_machine\software\Microsoft\Money\14.0 and export the 14.0 directory to a USB stick.

Then run the exported file on your new computer.

• Proposed as answer by Phil-63 Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:15 PM
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:13 PM
  • As well as copying the

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MnyCoreFiles from a working installation of the 1105 version to your new machine, you will also need to run Regedit on the computer with the 1105 version of Money and navigate to:

hkey_local_machine\software\Microsoft\Money\14.0 and export the 14.0 directory to a USB stick.

Then run the exported file on your new computer.

That is news to me.  If the 2005 1105 CD is burned correctly it should work OK without random registry copying between machines.  Anyway, this thread is 6 months old so there are later and more relevant threads to be followed.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:22 PM