none
SyncToy v2.0 Syncronisation - Deleted Files/Folders Recreated in Error

Question

• Hello,

I am using SyncToy v2.0 on a single PC to effect a simple backup.  It is a new install, no previous version has been installed on this machine. Created a single folder pair to Syncronise My Documents files/folders to a second hard drive on the same machine. 1612 folders/files created as none existed before. 

I then deleted several files/folders on the LHS expecting SyncToy to reflect the deletions on the RHS.  I reran the Syncronise action.  By the way, no changes were made to the default folder pair options.

The deletions were not reflected on the LHS BUT the files/folders were re-created on the RHS!  Note the originally deleted files/folders were in the Recycle bin before the second Syncronise action was started.  The files and folders were not now in the Recycle bin.

Obviously this is not what was expected, as deletions should be reflected LEFT to RIGHT.

I redeleted the files/folders from the LHS.  This time, I changed the option Do Not Save Overwritten Files in the Recycle Bin.  I repeated the Syncronise action.  The files/folders were correctly deleted on the RHS.  This time the files/folder in the Recycle Bin were gone!

So unchecking the Do Not Save Overwritten Files in the Recycle Bin option achieved what I wanted but why were the files/folders removed from the Recycle Bin?

So checking the Do Not Save Overwritten Files in the Recycle Bin option causes the deletions to be recreated in error.

Hopefully this makes sense!

Martyn

Syncronisation - Deleted Files/Folders Recreated in Error

Friday, September 05, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

• SyncToy cannot distinguish between changes made manually by users and file times updated by anti-virus programs so I am afraid that if CA PCGuard touched the new files updated on the RHS ( which I think is likely) - we will not delete those files. What you did to delete those files on the LHS is one workaround - another workaround is to enable "Check file contents" on your folder pair. But this does have the potential to slow down your sync.

Thanks
    Deepa

Sunday, September 07, 2008 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Martyn -

Looking at your statement above - I suspect you exchanged the sides in the line in bold below and meant that deletions were not reflected on the RHS but instead ended up created on the LHS.

"I then deleted several files/folders on the LHS expecting SyncToy to reflect the deletions on the RHS.  I reran the Syncronise action.  By the way, no changes were made to the default folder pair options.

The deletions were not reflected on the LHS BUT the files/folders were re-created on the RHS!  Note the originally deleted files/folders were in the Recycle bin before the second Syncronise action was started.  The files and folders were not now in the Recycle bin.

"

Can you think of any background process you have - like an anti-virus that could have touched the files on the RHS? If for any reasons the time stamp of the files on the RHS were updated - we will think that a real update was made and the behaviour you observed is what will happened.

Thanks

Deepa

Friday, September 05, 2008 11:20 PM
  • Deepa,

Yes you are correct.  Sorry.

As you say it should have read "the deletions were not reflected on the RHS BUT the files/folders were re-created on the LHS."

The system (like all systems?) has an antivirus program (CA PCGuard) and there is an associated service dvpapi - Dynamic Virus Protection which was running.

It is a basic system running Windows XP Home, SP3

The system was not connected to a network.

Windows Explorer was running, displaying the directory structure.

No other progams running.

I cannot say what processes were running at the time but I had just rebooted the PC, so I would say only the basic processes and nothing out of the ordinary other than dvpapi above.  I have just checked this.

Regards

Martyn

Saturday, September 06, 2008 9:08 AM
  • SyncToy cannot distinguish between changes made manually by users and file times updated by anti-virus programs so I am afraid that if CA PCGuard touched the new files updated on the RHS ( which I think is likely) - we will not delete those files. What you did to delete those files on the LHS is one workaround - another workaround is to enable "Check file contents" on your folder pair. But this does have the potential to slow down your sync.

Thanks
    Deepa

Sunday, September 07, 2008 5:34 PM
  • The time between the file deletion and the file sync was pretty minimal.  Under a minute! 

I would like to understand your hypothesis.  Under what circumstances would an anti-virus program change the time stamp on a file or folder, especially files and folders that had just been written by a SyncToy operation?

Sunday, September 07, 2008 5:55 PM