Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 Product Key not valid

Question

• Hi,

I first installed the Trial Version of Office 2007 on my new netbook (Running Windows XP).  A few weeks later I purchased Office Enterprise 2007 through the Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP) with my employer.  In uninstalled the trail version and installed Office Enterprise on the machine using the product key I received from Microsoft HUP via email.  After entering my product key I receive an error that my "software cannot be activated because the product key used to install the software is not valid".  I have tried re-enterning the product key and triple checked that it is entered correctly.  I have never used the product key on another machine.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times with no success.  I have also spent over 2 hours on the phone with tech support and no one has any ideas that will help.  I have also scoured these forums and the internet for solutions to no avail.  I think I need a new product key, but tech support was not able to give me one.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Cris

Saturday, June 19, 2010 3:54 PM

Answers

• "CCONNER" wrote in message news:4ba95762-7c88-440d-aae7-1adc0f5e11f6...

Hi,

I first installed the Trial Version of Office 2007 on my new netbook (Running Windows XP).  A few weeks later I purchased Office Enterprise 2007 through the Microsoft Home Use Program (HUP) with my employer.  In uninstalled the trail version and installed Office Enterprise on the machine using the product key I received from Microsoft HUP via email.  After entering my product key I receive an error that my "software cannot be activated because the product key used to install the software is not valid".  I have tried re-enterning the product key and triple checked that it is entered correctly.  I have never used the product key on another machine.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times with no success.  I have also spent over 2 hours on the phone with tech support and no one has any ideas that will help.  I have also scoured these forums and the internet for solutions to no avail.  I think I need a new product key, but tech support was not able to give me one.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Cris

AFAIK, the Office HUP scheme does not allow use of Enterprise - but Office Professional Plus.
    You need to use the OPP version disk to install it.
    (I may well be wrong, as I've never been lucky enough to work for an employer offering the benefit!)
    There are differences in the installations, and that's what entering the Key will pick up..

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Hello CCONNER,

Assuming that you made the HUP purchase recently, the only explanation that comes to mind is that you may have been "caught in the middle" in the transition between the old HUP offering, which was Office Enterprise 2007, and the new HUP offering, which is Office Professional Plus 2010.  Microsoft launched a new version of Office, Office 2010, on June 15, 2010.

If my guess is right, you were sent a download link for Office Enterprise 2007 but received a product key for Office Professional Plus 2010.  That's only a guess, but it's the only explanation I can come up with at the moment.

Preinstalled Trial versions of Office 2007 can cause strange things to happen when other installations of Office are done onto the sam computer, so it may be worth your while to start over.  You can use the MS FixIt in this MS KB article to completeley and more thoroughly remove the Office 2007 Trial from your computer, then restart twice, and try a fresh installation of your HUP product:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179/en-us

Not sure what tech support you called, but here is the link for the HUP customer service page:  https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/contactus.aspx

Let us know how you do :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:53 AM

All replies

• "CCONNER" wrote in message news:4ba95762-7c88-440d-aae7-1adc0f5e11f6...

Hi,

Cris

AFAIK, the Office HUP scheme does not allow use of Enterprise - but Office Professional Plus.
    You need to use the OPP version disk to install it.
    (I may well be wrong, as I've never been lucky enough to work for an employer offering the benefit!)
    There are differences in the installations, and that's what entering the Key will pick up..

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Hello CCONNER,

Assuming that you made the HUP purchase recently, the only explanation that comes to mind is that you may have been "caught in the middle" in the transition between the old HUP offering, which was Office Enterprise 2007, and the new HUP offering, which is Office Professional Plus 2010.  Microsoft launched a new version of Office, Office 2010, on June 15, 2010.

If my guess is right, you were sent a download link for Office Enterprise 2007 but received a product key for Office Professional Plus 2010.  That's only a guess, but it's the only explanation I can come up with at the moment.

Preinstalled Trial versions of Office 2007 can cause strange things to happen when other installations of Office are done onto the sam computer, so it may be worth your while to start over.  You can use the MS FixIt in this MS KB article to completeley and more thoroughly remove the Office 2007 Trial from your computer, then restart twice, and try a fresh installation of your HUP product:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179/en-us

Not sure what tech support you called, but here is the link for the HUP customer service page:  https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/contactus.aspx

Let us know how you do :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 11:53 AM