none
SyncToy wants to create duplicate files during backup

Question

• SyncToy frequently tries to create duplicate files when I run a sync operation.  Here's an example of what I mean:

Say Testfile.xxx is already in both the target directory and the source directory.  The files have identical names, types, sizes, modified dates, etc.

Synctoy will rename the file in the target directory to Testfile.1.xxx and then copy a new version of Testfile.xxx over from the source directory.

This leaves TWO files in the target directory (Testfile.xxx and Testfile.1.xxx) that are identical in every way except for their name.  Doing this can effectively double the amount of space taken by the same file, and it means I have to manually inspect every sync preview (which sometimes include thousands of files) for duplicate operations!

The files Synctoy chooses to duplicate seem random.  Why is it doing this and how do I fix it?

Version:   Synctoy v2.1

Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:28 AM

All replies

• Same here, also with SyncToy v2.1 x64 on Win7 x64.

I have the profile set up to be "Echo".

And this happens when I have manually copied the file to the destination, then run SyncToy.

I am suspecting this might be something to do with the files' attributes on NTFS file systems, but I haven't get a chance to validate my assumption.

What I do to get around this is do a search for file titles with *.1.*, and delete them manually.

If there is a fix, or workaround, please advise.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Same problem... V2.1 on Win 7 x64.

Just wiped the target drive yesterday, recopied all files, and ran the "Echo" today.  Wants to rename 33,000 files (adding a *.1.*), and create 33.000 "new" ones (which already exist on the target).

Hopefully, someone will find a solution.

Thursday, July 07, 2011 12:06 PM