none
WHS no longer sees one machine on network

Question

• Hi, all, hoping you can help me solve a mystery. I have Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3 (the various WHS apps show as version 6.0.2423.0). It's been working fine for well over a year.

Two weeks, it stopped seeing one machine on the network. The machine in question is a notebook running Windows 7 32-bit SP1. On November 1, all was well and that machine backed up as usual. Since then, it has failed to back up. In addition, the WHS icon shows gray. The machine is connected to the server using a wired connection through a LinkSys router.

I can ping the server from the notebook by IP address, but not by name, and vice versa (that is, ping the notebook from the server by IP address, but not by name).

When I open Windows Explorer on the notebook and choose Network in the treeview, the server shows up under Media Devices and Other Devices, but not in Computers.

I tried to work through the FAQ for troubleshooting network issues. Most of the items seemed to be as described. However, using nslookup and asking for the server produced this result:

> Server8201-2010
    Server:  cns.inflow.pa.bo.comcast.net
    Address:  68.87.64.150

*** cns.inflow.pa.bo.comcast.net can't find Server8201-2010: Non-existent domain

which is different than what I got from another machine on the network. However, the FAQ didn't say what to do about this.

TIA for any help. If there's other information I need to gather, please let me know.

Tamar

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:35 PM

All replies

• Since I've gotten no replies, figured I'd poke around some more. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I note in my machines Application log, that starting around the same time as the problem, I have a number of identical events:

The remote name could not be resolved: 'My server name'   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at MSSConnectorService.MSSLongPoller.Poll()

I see about 4 repeats of this each time the machine is rebooted.

Any ideas?

Tamar

Friday, November 18, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Have you tried rebooting your router?
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Good thought, but no go. I probably should add that this machine can see others on the network and vice versa.

However, rebooting the router reminded me that I've had another problem with the same machine that could be related. Specifically, it wasn't seeing other machines or being seen. I've had to edit the hosts file to make that work.

That combination really makes me think somethings mis-configured on this machine. But I've reached the extent of my networking knowledge.

Tamar

Monday, November 21, 2011 10:04 PM
  • There should be no need to fiddle with the hosts file on a correctly configured machine and if your router is working.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, November 21, 2011 11:06 PM
  • There should be no need to fiddle with the hosts file on a correctly configured machine and if your router is working.

I know that, but I couldn't get it working any other way. I'm open to suggestions for what might be wrong in the configuration of this machine.

Tamar

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:44 PM