none
WHS 2011 unattended install cfg.ini problems

Question

• I was able to successfuly install WHS Vail / 2011 RC and beta on a spare laptop with only a 120GB HDD using the cfg.ini file but WHS 2011 RTM isn't recognizing the same cfg.ini file that I used with the previous installs.  Since the support article:  http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/windowshomeserver2011/answer-file-install-2.aspx  has changed a little bit I decided to burn the install and put the cfg.ini as the article suggest to see if that made a difference but it doesn't.

I'm assuming that this still works as the support article was last revised on 3/30/2011 so it must be still a supported method to complete the install, but no dice.  Anyone able to get it to work using WHS 2011 RTM? 

Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:30 AM

Answers

• ahh, so i copied the install config from the KB article and it looks like there was some issues with my cfg.ini that i used in the beta and RC, it seems that one of the settings in this file was supported in RC and beta but not in the RTM version, here are the only delta's i can find:

[WinPE]
    SystemPartitionSize=MAX
    Processed=true

I removed Processed=true and Changed the MAX size to what was in the KB article: 61440

That fixed it, just put the new cfg.ini with those changes in the root of my usbkey with the contents of the ISO and installed without problem.

• Marked as answer by scott granado Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:39 AM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:39 AM

All replies

• ahh, so i copied the install config from the KB article and it looks like there was some issues with my cfg.ini that i used in the beta and RC, it seems that one of the settings in this file was supported in RC and beta but not in the RTM version, here are the only delta's i can find:

[WinPE]
    SystemPartitionSize=MAX
    Processed=true

I removed Processed=true and Changed the MAX size to what was in the KB article: 61440

That fixed it, just put the new cfg.ini with those changes in the root of my usbkey with the contents of the ISO and installed without problem.

• Marked as answer by scott granado Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:39 AM
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:39 AM
  • Okay what am I missing?  I have that very file on a USB key and it fails the install because the SSD isn't 160gb+.
    When in doubt empty the magazine...
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:42 AM
  • post your contents you have on the usb key for config.ini

Also, do a shift+F10 on the failure window and see if you can browse to the usbkey and view the contents

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:59 AM
  • I had to set the PartitionSize to 61440 like in the KB.  I tried using 21440 but it failed.  It finally installed.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:25 AM
  • The answer file isn't working in the RTM.  I have tried re-installing it several times and it still fails the drive size check.
    Friday, April 22, 2011 1:32 PM
  • I have the same Problem,

the cfg.ini from the URL above not work for me in the RTM

[WinPE]
    ConfigDisk=1
    CheckReqs=0
    SystemPartitionSize=61440

[InitialConfiguration]
    Language=en-US
    Locale=en-US
    Country=US
    Keyboard=00000409
    AcceptEula=true
    AcceptOEMEula=true
    ServerName=HomeServer
    PlainTextPassword=P@ssword
    PasswordHint=Passing by
    Settings=All

Can anyone Help?

Monday, May 30, 2011 5:24 AM
  • whats the error you're getting?  the same exact error about disk space?  Have you tried to browse to the .ini file (read up on how) to make sure the OS can see it?

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Hi,
    This is the file I just successfully used on the RTM build, I have a 500GB disk though:

[WinPE]
    WindowsPartitionSize=61440
    CheckReqs=0
    ConfigDisk=1
    Processed=true

[InitialConfiguration]
    Language=en-US
    Locale=en-US
    Country=US
    Keyboard=00000409
    AcceptEula=true
    AcceptOEMEula=true
    ServerName=MyHomeServer
    PlainTextPassword=MyPassword
    PasswordHint=My Password Hint
    Settings=All

In sources\SKU there's a file called SERVERHOMEPREMIUM.def that looks like it has the minimum requirements. You might want to try and update that to reflect your HDD.

[Information]
    EditionID=34

[Requirements]
    RAM=2048
    HDD=160
    Proc=1300
    Core=1

Thanks,
    Rob

• Edited by RTURNERO1 Wednesday, November 09, 2011 3:11 AM hit submit too soon
    Wednesday, November 09, 2011 3:10 AM
  • Processed=true
    The line "Processed=true" tells the server not to boot from USB drive to prevent an accidental re-install and wiping your drives. This line is written to the cfg.ini file by WHS 2011 during the install process. In order to re-use your cfg.ini file for another installation, you need to delete this line and save your cfg.ini file. This has been well documented in many other threads.

Claude

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I am not an expert but these are some observations I found (in addition to the expert comments) as necessary to be able to install WHS on a drive less than 160GB:

1. make sure that the c: drive is an unallocated volume (I found that after some install attempts, a volume was created on the C: disk), I connected the drive to another computer and using Win 7 Computer Management-Storage-Disk Management, selected the disk, right-click and "Delete Volume".  The disk should then be shown as "Unallocated"

2. I needed to re-format the USB flash drive (holding the cfg.ini file) after each attempt and re-save a new cfg.ini file each time

3. I used a 120GB SSD and set the partition size in the cfg.ini file (WindowsPartitionSize=61440 in the expert example) to a value just greater than 100GB. An error shown after one install attempt suggested that partitions greater than 104132 were not allowed for unattended installs.  I set the partition size to 100000 (WindowsPartitionSize=100000)

These steps (with those by the contributors above, many thanks) allowed my machine to continue through to the installation process.

I hope this works for as many of you as possible.

Sunday, June 03, 2012 9:40 AM
  • If this isn't too old RTURNERO1, how would you go about updating SERVERHOMEPREMIUM.def if it's on the WHS installation DVD? Thanks.
    Sunday, June 03, 2012 10:03 AM