none
Popcorn hour and WHS

Question

• Hey

I have been up and running for 2 months with my popcorn hour and whs with the UNIX NFS and it works great.

now i have almost all my dvd, pics and home video on the server ( approx. 70 dvd).

Now i want to install another harddrive outside the pool for more movies, and pics.

Has anyone managed to install movie jukebox or similar on the WHS or just a hardlink.

I want to make spread my movies over 2 - 4 drives but only have one account in popcorn hour.

i would like to have this when i open popcorn hour ( guest@homeserver::video )

comedy

action

thriller

homevideos

Spreading content over several discs require hardlinks or the movie jukebox

I have tryed the winbolic but popcorn hour can show the content

Best

Chris

Friday, July 25, 2008 9:04 PM

All replies

• I think I'm missing something.  Why are you using non-pooled hard drives to share content to your PCH?  Can WSFUX not share existing NTFS shares via NFS?  One of the big benefits of WHS is being able to pool the drives so you don't have to manage files across the drives or set up your own symbolic links.

I did read/hear something the other day about symbolic links not working on WHS which may explain why winbolic isn't working for you.

How do you like the Popcorn Hour?  Have you used XBMC at all?  I'm curious how they compare.

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:13 PM
  • If you like, you can use IIS for http streaming to jukebox, you will need to setup mkv as a Mime type. Non-pooled drives could be faster than pooled, if configured correctly.

Ben
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Hey

The main reason that i use drives outside the pool is that i dont want to mix my personal content with my dvd. ( i already have the originals, so i dont need secure backups).

The second reason is that the drives outside the pool only runs when im watching a movie. ( so their lives will be longer).

The popcorn hour i great with the unix nfs. and you will need the unix. The stream over smb i crappy.

The unix simply have a higher bitrate / bandwith.

But the popcorn hour is only great to play movies, i dont like or use the other features. ( just my opinion)

The popcorn hour is also exelent playing my homevideos in high def. (avchd - mts files) over the network.

I have not tryed the xbox, since i dont own one.

the main reason is that i dont want to setup an account for each harddrive in popcorn hour.

Best

Christian

Saturday, July 26, 2008 9:37 AM
  • Hey

The streams are perfect, i just need a way to manage all my directories i one folder, so i can avoid setting up accounts for all drives in the popcorn hour menu.

The popcorn hour will not read or open short cuts from one folder to another.

here is an example how i want it to be

1. i have set up an account to my first installed drive (E:\)

2. On the E drive i want some folders eg. Comedy and Action

3. The action folder i located on another new installed harddrive named F:\ ( the new drive is set to share over Unix NFS)

4. Then i just need the folder E:\Action to point to F:\

5. but the popcorn hour will not allow that or says that the folder is empty ( no content found )

I have tryed the winbolic with no luck, so my Q here is... Have anyone managed to do that or installed some software jukebox on the WHS who scans your WHS for videos.

There is "yet another movie jukebox" but i need instructions how to install it. There is to much editing for me.

Is there a more simple software?

Best

Chris

Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:00 AM
  • Try Orb,

Tutorials on wegotserved-

Ben

Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I had the Popcorn Hour ... and it was great ... but I sold it now ...

WHY:

- To many issues with BIG content selections ... how do you find a movie in your DVD collection
    - Not able to create play lists
    - limited in the number of "sources" one could add to the nmt
    - played "only" 93% of my media

Here is what I switched to:

I got an apple-mini (very slick) and put PLEX on it ... now I have a cool looking box ... with tons of media and everything plays just nice :-)

Even my kids and my wife are now able to use the box without my "support". They can even look at movie-trailer ... before they see the whole movie.

All in all I would go for a XBMC center (on Apple its called PLEX) solution over the NMT.

HOWEVER, if you just have a few media items (e.g. 10 movies or so) ... and do not care for a HD (and very cool) looking interface ... then the NMT (Popcorn Hour A110) is for you.

I just got my second PLEX system setup ... and my friends are interested too .... BUT its not cheap (the hardware can be costly) ... but the application is FREE and gets constantly updated ... there is an update every 4 weeks .... eventhough the system is in development for teh last 10 years!

The checp solution is to get a PC (or Laptop) put it next to your TV and get XBMC up and running ... there is even a LIVE version (no setup ... just boot from CD) available.

Here are some links ... (check it out yourself):

www.plexapp.com

www.xbmc.org
    • Proposed as answer by rnio Monday, May 25, 2009 6:57 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 6:57 PM
  • I tried Plex and then went for the Popcorn hour! :-D

Why? Well, Plex has the better user interface but its DVD decoding is *DIRE* - I mean *REALLY* bad. It's all software based with no acceleration using the Mac Mini chipset and often produces repeatable and very obvious coloured blockies which I haven't seen in years (early DVD players used to do this). Plex cannot alter the output framerate or resolution to cope with different source material framerates (it framerate converts very crudely) and its resolution conversion is very basic too...

I work for a high end domestic hifi company and - even though I bought a Mac Mini for the sole purpose of running Plex so definitely wanted it to be a workable solution - its video prformance just turned out to be so much below par it wasn't even funny.

At the end of the day, if the UI is important to you then Plex is good but for actual playback it is just about useless if you have any desire for a quality output. :-(

Phil
    • Proposed as answer by rnio Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:01 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:51 AM
  • For the Popcorn Hour vs. XMBC comparison, I know XMBC runs on lots of hardware now, but I run it on a good old-fashioned original Xbox and the only bad thing about it is the lack of horsepower to run HD material.

As for the interface itself, I hadn't thought about running it on a PC until recently, but it would be a great idea. The interface is just wonderful.

I bought a Popcorn Hour for my media room, but haven't got everything up and running yet. Still setting up the wiring and hardware. Once I do, I'll post a comparison.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Hi Phil,

Plex is not as bad as you say. At the end of the day you just want AWESOME playback of almost 100% of your available media .

The Popcorn Hour does not do this ... at least my collection of media was only ~79% playable on the popcorn hour with the latest firmware release.

Its correct that PLEX does not change the framerate, however this is not always the best solution to great playback.

PLEX does top-notch resolution scaling
    : bicubic or lanczos

And yes it is amazing how you can sqeeze high-end playback performance of blu-ray content using just a CPU ... no artificial accelaration.

Yep you might be ok ... with the NMT if you just have a few video to watch (or a large DVD collection), but if you want to manage your digital library the NMT is NOT the way to go.

So all in all I am very happy with PLEX and the MINI ... something the NMT was not able to do!

• Edited by rnio Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by rnio Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:11 AM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:09 AM