Windows Live Custom Domains problems?

Question

• Anyone currently seeing a problem with yourdomain.homeserver.com? My WHS just alerted me that there was a problem and it turns out that I cannot validate my homeserver.com domain - however it IS online.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:47 AM

Answers

• I have the same problem. Only just happened and I have made no changes to my system so I suspect it is a Microsoft problem - just don't reboot your router unless you have a fixed IP address.

Phil
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Yes, Windows Live custom domains seems to have a problem at the moment. If you've just set up your server, you may not be able to complete the Remote Access setup, and if it's been working for a while, it's probably reporting that it couldn't update your vanity URL (which happens on a regular schedule). If your IP address at home has changed, your site will probably be unreachable by means of the vanity URL, as well.

Microsoft will get it fixed, but in the meantime, I'm stickying this thread (so people will see it) and locking it (because there's really nothing the end user can do).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:32 PM

All replies

• Yes no working for me also.

mike in San Jose
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:00 AM
  • Same here.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Same here.  I should have simply ignored the error and waited for it to come back.  I tried to troubleshoot and "unconfigured" my domain name.  Now I have to reconfigure...
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:50 AM
  • I can't get Domain Name Setup to work either, I thought at first if might be a problem on my end.  I'm getting a variety of errors including

"Unspecified error 8004005" and "Unknown error (0x80072f0c) 80072f0c".  I tried different Windows Live ID's without success.

Craig Haggerty
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:56 AM
  • I have the same problem. Only just happened and I have made no changes to my system so I suspect it is a Microsoft problem - just don't reboot your router unless you have a fixed IP address.

Phil
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:59 AM
  • I am getting exactly the same errors.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:06 AM
  • In the "Set up a Domain Name Wizard", after I enter my e-mail address and password, and click Next, I get the following message:
    "Domain Name Setup Failed.  The following error occurred during Domain Name Setup: An unexpected error has occurred communicating with the Windows Live Domains service. 80000190"  I can sign onto Windows Live ID using this email address and password, so I know they are correct.  I have been getting this error for about half a day now.  Suggestions?  As I am not a computer expert, I'd appreciate any help in non-technical language.  THANKS!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:19 AM
  • Now I am getting:

"An unexpected error has occurred communicating with the Windows Live Domains service.  80000190"

Craig Haggerty
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Neil

I suspect it is because the Windows Live Custom Domain Server appears to be down. See this thread:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/51c31c3c-b6a2-424d-b037-1d7993b7cb91

Phil
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:36 AM
  • There must have been some progress at the MS end.  When I was getting the above-referenced error, I could enter ANY email address/password and get the same error.  Now, it recognizes whether my email/password are correct or not, and I get error 80000190.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Seems to be intermittent at the moment - my WHS successfully updated and then failed later!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:57 AM
  • same problem here. Error: 80072EE7
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:28 AM
  • I am running a full retail copy of WHS - Power Pack 2 - and have been for about a year. As a result of Belkin F5D8235-4 wireless router issues, I had to do a complete reset/reconfigure as per Belkin Support.
    After that, WHS complained about port forwarding, etc. so I went into WHS to check on the config., etc.
    The Repair Remote Access Configuration passed the first two checks, but fails on "Verifying that your Remote Website is available form the Internet".
    Now I can't configure my Domain Name - I get a number of failure messages, including "unspecified error 80004005" at the first step when I'm asked to sign in to LiveID (and yes - the email address/password is correct - I have checked that using other computers.....).
    Weirdly enough, my site is still accessible from the internet, and I can remote WHS itself and into individual computers in the network (RMSTECH.HOMESERVER.COM)...
    Help please - Anyone else had this kind of issue?  What can I do to start to resolve it ? 
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:58 AM
  • I got the same issue - asked the question just a few minutes ago (before I saw this thread).....Sigh.....And yes - I unconfigured my domain name too....Sheesh !
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:15 AM
  • I got the same issue - asked the question just a few minutes ago (before I saw this thread).....Sigh.....And yes - I unconfigured my domain name too....Sheesh !

Don't worry too much about it - I also unconfigured my domain name - but it still resolves.  Try it.

Although I do have a static, so this might have some bearing on it.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:52 AM
  • I got this message today. I can't log into my remote access. I type in my live address and it still won't work. I can log into my windows live account so i know my email and password works. Any ideas?
    Marion
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:40 PM
  • I have the same problem - I also have unconfigured my domain name. rebooted the router but no luck there. ahum not good.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:44 PM
  • I have got the same problem as all of you. I thought it had something to do with the last update from Windows Auto Update. I ran throught it to see if there was something that might have caused the problem, and saw some things that might be at issue, so I uninstalled it and it did not correct the issue.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:52 PM
  • Yes there are many of us. You are not alone. We are all waiting for MS to say or do something.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Happening across the board. We are all waiting for MS to say or do something.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:01 PM
  • I too have had this problem for a couple of days. Connects to Windows live and then fails (with No explaination on the update to WLD.
    - Bill
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:23 PM
  • We had the same thing happen during the beta but it only lasted about 9 or 10 hours. Microsoft failed to let us know in the NG's and we all naturally thought it was our problem. Looks like they are playing the same game this time only for a longer period of time. I have remote access shut down completely now. I could access my server remotely last night but can't this morning and that's why I shut it down. Kevin Beares, can you do something about this?
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Been getting these same errors myself.  I've only had my Acer H340 up and running for a few days so this is a tad disappointing.  I suppose I should have expected some error messages with a Microsoft Windows product.  Never did have any Windows machine run error and conflict free so why should I expect this to be any different.

I thought the errors were due to the Power Pack 3 Beta that I installed yesterday (11/9/2009), but the errors appear even with the Beta uninstalled.  There is some comfort in knowing that the error is probably not on my end.  Hopefully, this will be resolved soon.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Unfortunately I believe that the Windows Live Domain group is responsible for this not the WHS team.

I don’t know if that is why the wait is so long to resolve the issue.

Don
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Yep, unconfigured now have to wait for the servers, Which im shure is not our problem to come too again and then go from there. Started sunday evening for me. Errors include: but are not limited to: unspecified error 80004005,  verifying port forewarding on your router failed, and cannot connect to windows live custom domains. Keep us posted everyone!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:55 PM
  • Yep, unconfigured now have to wait for the servers, Which im shure is not our problem to come too again and then go from there. Started sunday evening for me. Errors include: but are not limited to: unspecified error 80004005,  verifying port forewarding on your router failed, and cannot connect to windows live custom domains. Keep us posted everyone!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Yep 3 seperate threads about this so far ive counted
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Yes, Windows Live custom domains seems to have a problem at the moment. If you've just set up your server, you may not be able to complete the Remote Access setup, and if it's been working for a while, it's probably reporting that it couldn't update your vanity URL (which happens on a regular schedule). If your IP address at home has changed, your site will probably be unreachable by means of the vanity URL, as well.

Microsoft will get it fixed, but in the meantime, I'm stickying this thread (so people will see it) and locking it (because there's really nothing the end user can do).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:32 PM
  • Do you know how long it takes for the MS Support to fix this issue? I've been hitting this error for more than a couple of days.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Ditto, been having this problem over a day now.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:02 AM
  • Yeah, going on 3 days for me i must have hit it right at the beginning!! COME ON LITTLE GREEN HOUSE!!!!
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:07 AM

• I noticed this problem last night . I wish they could update how long this will take

posted in another thread:

It looks like MS is making changes:

Windows Live Admin Center

Windows Live Custom Domains is now Windows Live Admin Center.
    We're changing the name to better reflect our features and capabilities, but don't worry, this is still where you access the same great features you did with Custom Domains. In fact, we're introducing exciting new features we think you'll really like. Thank you for understanding as we transition to our new name.

Link: https://domains.live.com/default.aspx
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:45 AM
  • i have been tearing my hair out for 3 days witht this very same problem. . .i thought i broke my brand new acer h340 . . i didnt want to reinstall because yes i already transfered over a terabyte of music and movies. im glad to see its on microsofts end and not mine.  When this is all said and done you guys think we wil have to create our domains at https://domains.live.com/default.aspx  or does everyoen think we would still be able to do it through the WHS console.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:50 AM
  • yes mine is down too  ???
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Not sure, I know that I created my domain through the WHS Console. I am trying to figure out if I can create a custom domain through no-ip.com and use that as my WHS remote access domain. I know that it can be done through TZO.com, but I am trying to use no-ip so that i can set up RDP from my iPhone to my PC's. Does anyone have any input on this?

My WHS Console is no longer saying the message about my Windows Live Custom Domain Name, and this whole time I have still been able to logon to be WHS remotely.

-Also Windows Live Custom Domains just underwent a name change and a version update today, maybe that has something to do with all of this ???

November 11

Custom Domains renamed to Admin Center in V3.0

We've just released Version 3.0 of Custom Domains. We have decided to change the service name to Windows Live Admin Center . We're changing the name to better reflect our features and capabilities, but don't worry , Admin Center is still where you access the same great features you did with Custom Domains .

We're excited to introduce the ability for you to customize services like Windows Live Hotmail® with your own logo. Now your domain users will see your organization logo every time they check their email. Just select the co-branding link in the left navigation to get started.

You can still access the service at
    domains.live.com though you can expect to eventually be redirected to admincenter.live.com .

We appreciate your business and look forward to continue bringing you new improvements to this service.

Thanks for your understanding as we transition to our new name.

The Windows Live Admin Center Team

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:38 AM
  • Not sure, I know that I created my domain through the WHS Console. I am trying to figure out if I can create a custom domain through no-ip.com and use that as my WHS remote access domain. I know that it can be done through TZO.com, but I am trying to use no-ip so that i can set up RDP from my iPhone to my PC's. Does anyone have any input on this?

My WHS Console is no longer saying the message about my Windows Live Custom Domain Name, and this whole time I have still been able to logon to be WHS remotely.

-Also Windows Live Custom Domains just underwent a name change and a version update today, maybe that has something to do with all of this ???

November 11

Custom Domains renamed to Admin Center in V3.0

We've just released Version 3.0 of Custom Domains. We have decided to change the service name to Windows Live Admin Center . We're changing the name to better reflect our features and capabilities, but don't worry , Admin Center is still where you access the same great features you did with Custom Domains .

We're excited to introduce the ability for you to customize services like Windows Live Hotmail® with your own logo. Now your domain users will see your organization logo every time they check their email. Just select the co-branding link in the left navigation to get started.

You can still access the service at
    domains.live.com though you can expect to eventually be redirected to admincenter.live.com .

We appreciate your business and look forward to continue bringing you new improvements to this service.

Thanks for your understanding as we transition to our new name.

The Windows Live Admin Center Team

Sorry Greg the date that you have posted there is from November of 2007
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:51 AM