none
Client Mac address

Question

• Hi guys,

I am experimenting with an addin and I would need some system information of every client.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to find the MAC address.

I found a value in the registry but it doesn't exist for every client machine...

Is there a good (stabile) way to get the mac?

I also read something about SendArp...

Anyone any idea on how to best do this?

Thanks,

Bobby

Sunday, November 25, 2007 3:15 PM

Answers

• I had similar issues with getting the mac address from the registry, more so because PC's with more than one NIC will have more than one mac address... something that is not always of use.

Here is the code I wrote for DHCP4WHS to get a mac address from the PC with the given IP address using SendARP() which works pretty well for me.

Code Block

[DllImport("iphlpapi.dll", ExactSpelling = true)]

public static extern int SendARP(uint DestIP, uint SrcIP, [Out] byte[] pMacAddr, ref int PhyAddrLen);

enum ArpErrorCodes

{

None = 0,

ERROR_GEN_FAILURE = 31,

ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED = 50,

ERROR_BAD_NET_NAME = 67,

ERROR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW = 111,

ERROR_NOT_FOUND = 1168,

ERROR_INVALID_USER_BUFFER = 1784,

}

public static PhysicalAddress GetPhysicalAddress(IPAddress ipAddress)

{

PhysicalAddress pa = LocateMacAddress(ipAddress);

if (!pa.Equals(PhysicalAddress.None))

{

return pa;

}

else

{

Ping p = new Ping();

PingReply result = p.Send(ipAddress);

return LocateMacAddress(ipAddress);

}

}

static PhysicalAddress LocateMacAddress(IPAddress ipAddress)

{

if( ipAddress.AddressFamily == System.Net.Sockets.AddressFamily.InterNetwork)

{

byte[] macAddressBytes = new byte[6];

int length = macAddressBytes.Length;

#pragma warning disable 0618

ArpErrorCodes c = (ArpErrorCodes)SendARP((uint)ipAddress.Address, 0, macAddressBytes, ref length);

#pragma warning restore 0618

if (c == ArpErrorCodes.None)

{

return new PhysicalAddress(macAddressBytes);

}

}

return PhysicalAddress.None;

}

Sunday, November 25, 2007 4:14 PM

All replies

• I had similar issues with getting the mac address from the registry, more so because PC's with more than one NIC will have more than one mac address... something that is not always of use.

Here is the code I wrote for DHCP4WHS to get a mac address from the PC with the given IP address using SendARP() which works pretty well for me.

Code Block

[DllImport("iphlpapi.dll", ExactSpelling = true)]

public static extern int SendARP(uint DestIP, uint SrcIP, [Out] byte[] pMacAddr, ref int PhyAddrLen);

enum ArpErrorCodes

{

None = 0,

ERROR_GEN_FAILURE = 31,

ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED = 50,

ERROR_BAD_NET_NAME = 67,

ERROR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW = 111,

ERROR_NOT_FOUND = 1168,

ERROR_INVALID_USER_BUFFER = 1784,

}

public static PhysicalAddress GetPhysicalAddress(IPAddress ipAddress)

{

PhysicalAddress pa = LocateMacAddress(ipAddress);

if (!pa.Equals(PhysicalAddress.None))

{

return pa;

}

else

{

Ping p = new Ping();

PingReply result = p.Send(ipAddress);

return LocateMacAddress(ipAddress);

}

}

static PhysicalAddress LocateMacAddress(IPAddress ipAddress)

{

if( ipAddress.AddressFamily == System.Net.Sockets.AddressFamily.InterNetwork)

{

byte[] macAddressBytes = new byte[6];

int length = macAddressBytes.Length;

#pragma warning disable 0618

ArpErrorCodes c = (ArpErrorCodes)SendARP((uint)ipAddress.Address, 0, macAddressBytes, ref length);

#pragma warning restore 0618

if (c == ArpErrorCodes.None)

{

return new PhysicalAddress(macAddressBytes);

}

}

return PhysicalAddress.None;

}

Sunday, November 25, 2007 4:14 PM
  • Hi Brendan!

Thank you so very much, this is better than I expected as answer ;-)

Personally I think the WHS API designers left some holes, e.g:

- A notification if a client comes online / goes offline.

- The mac address in IComputerInfo

- ... and some others I forgot.

Best Regards,

Bobby

Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:16 PM
  • I agree with you fully when it comes to things that were left out or just do not exist yet... although at the same time we need to remember two very important things...

#1, this is still a v1 product with lots of goodness to come in later versions... after all, how many things has Microsoft made perfect (or what v1 should have been) before v3?

#2, a client side SDK is being worked on, whose very existence was only recently accident leaked... which means we probably wont get to get our grubby little hands on it today... but while we wait we can tell them what we are looking for over in the Suggestions forum.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:35 PM
  • Hi Brendan,

Now I had the time to experiment a bit more... :-D

But I'm faced with a dilemma...

If the computer is offline, then I can't get the MAC address with that code...

How can this be solved, that was why the registry was handy ofcourse.

So that means that I the machine will need to go online first, then get the mac addresses and save it locally to remember it? :-s (confused)

Tnx,

Bobby

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:26 PM
  • In my experimenting with SendARP() it was extraordinarily rare that it would automatically return the MAC address, despite what the documentation says, I do not buy (although have not checked with a packet sniffer) that it actually sends out an ARP request to the network to try to find the address, instead it simply checks an cache on the local system.

Even if SendARP() worked as advertized, if the target PC was off, unless it is NIC was configured with an IP address (that it maintains while in a powered down/off state) you aren’t going to be able to determine it’s MAC address short of sending out your own custom ARP requests and praying that the target PC’s NIC will respond when shutdown.

So yes... the only way you are going to be able to get such an address is when the PC is live and you are aware of it.

One alternative is the registry (an unsupported way to determine it) where the MAC addresses for a given client PC is stored in the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients\MachineGuid\ and the value MacAddress. Note that as far as I can tell, this value is set only once, at the time the client is configured with the server.

This works well enough, only for some applications (like my DHCP server) it is insufficient as you may need to know which MAC address is in use on the network at a given time... not just in the box (ie an unplugged but enabled NIC card).

Saturday, December 01, 2007 1:00 AM
  • I would urge caution to not rely on the MAC address or assume a 1:1 relationship between MAC address and any particular machine (the same goes for IP address). Laptops are common, and it's not uncommon for laptops to have a docking station in an office, but not always be used there, and the MAC addresses of the wired NIC and WLAN NIC differ. Additionally there are other machines that are primarily on wireless, but have wired connections added as appropriate (for example when doing an initial backup over the net). Also, USB network adaptors are moved between machines at times; make sure this is properly handled (for example moving a faster 802.11N USB WLAN NIC to whatever machine needs the bandwidth.)

Multi-homed machines are also common. In addition to wired/wireless machines, there are servers that are atached to WHS machines for backup; usually one NIC for the public IP, one NIC for the private IP but some servers even have a 3rd NIC for a management LAN for controlling network hardware and UPSs.

Lee

Not a member of the WHS team, but have had decades of involvement with Windows developer issues.

Saturday, December 01, 2007 11:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Lee!

hmmmm... This seems more difficult than I thought it would be.

Any tips on how to do this then, to get arround these problems?

Thanks,

Bobby

Sunday, December 02, 2007 12:04 PM
  • The big question becomes... what do you need the MAC address for? Wake on Lan? Unique PC identifier?
    Sunday, December 02, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Well there is no 'major' reason, but I've been wanting to write a plugin and as a study project I started with a simple plugin that showed a messagebox ;-)

Then I tried to find something more useful and thought to try and wake up a machine, like some available plugins already do.

So I came up with the idea to try this for myself...but it isn't that easy as I thought ;-)

It's just for learning but I want to finish it off well...

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Bobby

Sunday, December 02, 2007 8:22 PM
  •  

I have to disagree on one of your points. It isn't WHS's responsibility to provide you with a computer's MAC address because normally you should be leaving these details to your network stack. Providing the computer name and IP address should be sufficiant, If it isn't you should be looking to the API of Server 2003. (Personally I think that there is too much that ties WHS to TCP/IP.)
    Tuesday, December 04, 2007 10:21 PM