Network Emulator for Windows Toolkit - NEWT

Question

• I went to a Windows 7 launch event outside of Chicago and the presenter there had a really cool piece of software called NEWT or Network Emulator for Windows Toolkit.  I cannot find how to get my hands on this software.  It allows a person to emulate all sorts of network connections including low speed / high latency links.  I could find a million uses for this software!  The only thing I can find about it is that it was once a MS Research project included in the 2008 Technology Transfer page.  That's it.  No download, links, or otherwise.  This is what it says.

Games for Windows — LIVE Software Development Kit

• Network Emulator for Windows Toolkit (NEWT). NEWT is a software-based solution that can emulate the behavior of both wired and wireless networks using a reliable physical link, such as an Ethernet.

I cannot find a "LIVE SDK" but I can find a "Live Services SDK" which doesn't appear to include the tool.  I've looked into the XNA SDK but so far cannot find any info about it in there either.  I haven't gone so far as to download it.  Can anybody please point me in the right direction?  I've never seen anything like this in the market place and as I said earlier, I have many many uses for this tool.

This is a link to the only page that I could find with any info.

Regards,
    -Tim

• Moved by Max Wang_Chinasoft Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:17 PM forum consolidation (From:Networking)
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• You need to be a Xbox 360 developer or a Games for Windows - LIVE developer to have access to this tool.

I wish it was available to everybody though, I've used this tool in the past and it's very powerful, useful and user-friendly. I would like a copy for myself too though. I wish it was available on Microsoft Download Center like Network Monitor...
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Internet not find download address.help......!help......!
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 11:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by TimDawgg Monday, February 22, 2010 8:10 AM
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 9:45 AM
  • Yes that the one! Thank you kljtmn!

It's not the latest version (2.1.3.0 instead of 2.1.3.1), but it's better than nothing! :)
    Friday, February 05, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Wow thank you SO much!!  I've been searching and searching for this one with no luck.  It looked really useful at the MS demo.

Thanks again!!!
    -Tim
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 7:46 AM
  • The official release of NEWT is released in VS2010 as Network Emulation.  Currently, VS2010 only supports using Network Emulation while performing a Load Test or some other type of automated test.  However, I have created a simple UI that allows you to select a Network Profile and emulate that profile without having to fire up VS2010 and starting a test.  Please see my blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/lkruger for more details.

Thanks, Lonny
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 8:37 PM
  • So if I understand correctly, NEWT will now be integrated within VS2010 from now on, which is why you started developing NEUI?

When I'm checking the documentation on MSDN, Network Emulation seems fairly limited compared to the standalone NEWT posted earlier. It appears impossible to configure anything other than selecting a predefined network, and filtering by IP or port appears impossible. Additionally, when I check your source code for NEUI, all the predefined *.network files seem to match the NEWT XML format, suggesting that all NEWT testing functions are available, but cannot be configured neither by NEUI nor VS2010.

This is a major problem for me. In order to perform TCR testing for Games for Windows - LIVE and Xbox 360 games, specific network scenarios (such as bandwidth, packet loss and port filtering) must be checked, and none of them are actually predefined in VS2010. A PC tool can't obviously run on a Xbox 360, so it needs to pass through a PC with at least 2 network ports, and not being able to configure only the console port causes issues when the PC itself or another unrelated machine attempts to communicate elsewhere through the network. On top of that, testers rarely have access to a Visual Studio license, so the only way to use it would be to release NEUI as a standalone product.

Am I the only one thinking that Network Emulator is actually a major leap backwards compared to the original NEWT? It doesn't appear to have any new features, and yet major features have been removed and/or hidden.

As for NEUI, I think it would become very useful if it eventually allows creating our own *.network file and include all of the features of the original NEWT... but wouldn't that simply be reinventing the wheel?

Thursday, April 08, 2010 5:05 PM
  • <Am I the only one thinking that Network Emulator is actually a major leap backwards compared to the original NEWT? It doesn't appear to have any new features, and yet major features have been removed and/or hidden.>

No, you're not.  It was a terrible move.  NEWT was an excellent standalone product and very versatile in its prior form.  I also have done Xbox 360 TCR testing in the past and I would rather pull my eyelashes out than use VS2010 as a testing tool.  Give me a break.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:42 AM
  • Network Emulation is actually NEWT.  All of the functionality is still there, we just didn't have time to surface it in the VS2010 UI.  You can still use the same APIs (or configuration files) that were available in NEWT to gain access to all of the NEWT functionality.
    Thanks, Lonny
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Network Emulation is actually NEWT.  All of the functionality is still there, we just didn't have time to surface it in the VS2010 UI.  You can still use the same APIs (or configuration files) that were available in NEWT to gain access to all of the NEWT functionality.
    Thanks, Lonny
    Can you use NEWT or Network Emulation to simulate an Open, Moderate or Closed NAT?
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:37 AM