Tanjay phone configuration

Question

• Hi, I know this might not be the best place to post this quiestion but I have exhausted all other avenues.

I cannot get the Tanjay (or Polycom CX700) to save its configuration.

I have struggled and managed to install the CA cert and system time by going through all the options on the embedded WinCE and it managed to sign on to OCS. But everytime I power off and turn on the machine again, all the settings would be lost and I have to go through the whole process again.

Is there a way to perhaps commit the data to the flash memory or something?

Cheers

Friday, July 06, 2007 6:11 AM

Answers

• I am sorry for the late reply as I am busy preparing for the ignite training.

For those who are fortunate to get your hands on a Tanjay phone, this is how you configure it.

1) Connect the tanjay phone to a network with a DHCP server.

2) Ensure that you can ping the IP address assigned to the Tanjay phone. You can check the address leased from the DHCP server. The Tanjay's MAC address should begin with 0016e3f1xxxx

2) When booted up for the first time, it would launch the Communicator 07 phone edition and it would attempt to sign in but the sign in would fail. Exit it by touching the relevant screen button.

3) There are two things we need to do, install the Root CA cert and change the system time. NB: If you can't see the screen properly, you can adjust the desktop theme by going into the display properties. (Tab and hold on the desktop - properties).

4) On the Win CE desktop, double tab on My device. Go into the Control panel and change the system time. WARNING, the time and date would reset to March 07 after every reboot for whatever reason, you would have to change the system time again if you need to power off the device.

5) The only way I figure out that you can put the Root CA cert on to the device is via file share. First, get hold of the root ca cert in cer format and put it on a file share.

6) Next, on the tanjay phone control panel, double tab "Owner" and go to the "Network ID" tab. Enter the username and password to access the file share. It is a bit tricky as the input panel would obscure the screen and you might have to enter it blindly. Try moving the "Owner Properties" window so that you can see what you are typing but there is a limit to how much you can shift. After a few trial and error, you should be able to enter the password.

7)  Go back to the root of the device and select the "Network" folder.

8) Expose the address bar if it is not shown (View menu - address bar)

9) On the address bar, type the UNC name of the file share where the root CA cert is stored.

10) After a while the share should open up. If it doesn't double check your UNC name and also the password entered in the previous step. (NB Blank password is not allowed by default)
    11) Copy the file share and store it locally.

12) Go back to control panel - Certificates, under "Trusted Authorities", click on import - from a file and just browse to the cer file.

13) To go back to the communicator phone edition, go to the Windows directory and find a file/shortcut call domo. I have a really hard time finding this info out.

For those of you who want to get their hands on a Tanjay phone, I think you need some contacts withing MS. But I guess with the RTM of OCS, actual product that is based on the Tanjay platform should be available.

BTW, if you ask me, I think the catalina phone is much better. A USB version of the tanjay phone that integrates directly with the Communicator 07 installed on the PC. It is really plug and play, no drivers needed.

Cheers

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:02 AM
  •  

These steps are accurate, but the firmware has to be updated as well.  You have to place the update server on your network and the Tanjay will find the update server automatically.  Even after the firmware update, you have to reinstall the cert after every time you take the power from the phone..  But at least the phone works now.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

can you tell me where you sourced your CX700 from?

We're looking for some hardware to test and like the look of these units.

Appreciate your assistance.

Cheers

Monday, July 09, 2007 7:14 AM
  • I am in the same boat...no device level documentation at all.  we received the unit, but can't get it to function correctly, and really need a way to resize the screen so that we can change time zone settings, etc.  All that I really know is that you have to use dhcp, and it has to have its time synced correctly.
    Monday, July 09, 2007 3:42 PM
  • I am still struggling to get the cert installed ... have you any hints on how you managed to do this?

Thanks!

-dermo99

Monday, July 09, 2007 4:28 PM
  • It looks like a few people have had some issues with this. I would keep bugging the manufacturer for better documentation and their support for help.

Friday, July 27, 2007 5:16 PM
  • I am sorry for the late reply as I am busy preparing for the ignite training.

For those who are fortunate to get your hands on a Tanjay phone, this is how you configure it.

1) Connect the tanjay phone to a network with a DHCP server.

2) Ensure that you can ping the IP address assigned to the Tanjay phone. You can check the address leased from the DHCP server. The Tanjay's MAC address should begin with 0016e3f1xxxx

2) When booted up for the first time, it would launch the Communicator 07 phone edition and it would attempt to sign in but the sign in would fail. Exit it by touching the relevant screen button.

3) There are two things we need to do, install the Root CA cert and change the system time. NB: If you can't see the screen properly, you can adjust the desktop theme by going into the display properties. (Tab and hold on the desktop - properties).

4) On the Win CE desktop, double tab on My device. Go into the Control panel and change the system time. WARNING, the time and date would reset to March 07 after every reboot for whatever reason, you would have to change the system time again if you need to power off the device.

5) The only way I figure out that you can put the Root CA cert on to the device is via file share. First, get hold of the root ca cert in cer format and put it on a file share.

6) Next, on the tanjay phone control panel, double tab "Owner" and go to the "Network ID" tab. Enter the username and password to access the file share. It is a bit tricky as the input panel would obscure the screen and you might have to enter it blindly. Try moving the "Owner Properties" window so that you can see what you are typing but there is a limit to how much you can shift. After a few trial and error, you should be able to enter the password.

7)  Go back to the root of the device and select the "Network" folder.

8) Expose the address bar if it is not shown (View menu - address bar)

9) On the address bar, type the UNC name of the file share where the root CA cert is stored.

10) After a while the share should open up. If it doesn't double check your UNC name and also the password entered in the previous step. (NB Blank password is not allowed by default)
    11) Copy the file share and store it locally.

12) Go back to control panel - Certificates, under "Trusted Authorities", click on import - from a file and just browse to the cer file.

13) To go back to the communicator phone edition, go to the Windows directory and find a file/shortcut call domo. I have a really hard time finding this info out.

For those of you who want to get their hands on a Tanjay phone, I think you need some contacts withing MS. But I guess with the RTM of OCS, actual product that is based on the Tanjay platform should be available.

BTW, if you ask me, I think the catalina phone is much better. A USB version of the tanjay phone that integrates directly with the Communicator 07 installed on the PC. It is really plug and play, no drivers needed.

Cheers

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:02 AM
  •  

These steps are accurate, but the firmware has to be updated as well.  You have to place the update server on your network and the Tanjay will find the update server automatically.  Even after the firmware update, you have to reinstall the cert after every time you take the power from the phone..  But at least the phone works now.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 9:51 AM
  •  Anonymous578664 wrote:

you have to reinstall the cert after every time you take the power from the phone..  But at least the phone works now.

Actually for me, the root CA cert stays in after power off. It is just the date gets reset to march of this year.

I also have a unit that has been provision with a fingerprint ID. Without the original fingerprint to unlock the phone, I can only sign in, recieve inbound call and do outbound call using phone numbers. The touch screen is locked.

Anyone knows how to "hard reset" the phone so that it no longer needs a fingerprint ID to unlock?

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 10:54 AM
  • latest firmware for the Tanjay fixes all the time zone and cert problems.  I didn't build their sharepoint update server, merely copied the appropirate files to the update bin on my current update server.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 2:27 PM
  • Can any one tell me where I need to configure the OCS server address?

Thanks

Nasir.

Friday, August 31, 2007 9:47 PM
  • Hi. i'm working with microsoft here in Chile preparing the OCS launch in earlier october, but we have 2 Tanjay phones not functioning. 

Could you tell me where we can find the firmware update for Tanjay Phones?, and how to install it.

I really appreciate any help

Thank you

Oscar Soto Casali

MVP Directory Service

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:59 PM
  • I do not have the firmware, it was poster "Anonymous" that mentioned he had sucessfully updated the firmware.

But maybe you could be more specific about what is "not working" on the Tanjay phone and I see if I could help.

Cheers

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:37 AM
  • Very Thanks Lee:

I have testing 2 tanjay phones for a while and this is my resume:

-          One phone have an old client version not compatible with Office Communication Server  RTM and it’s not able to logon any users failing to approve the Digital Certificate from my Certification authority (Enterprise CA)

-          Second phone is a newer version compatible with Office Communication Server RTM . This phone accept my Enterprise CA digital certificate, it’s able to logon my user, can see the presence information for the others users, call other users, but cannot initiate any conversation (two rings and hang up automatically).  I made a test calling from any user to this phone and it’s the same behavior. While making the test I tried to switch to another user, so I reconfigured the logon account and when I had to write the new pin for this user, the DOMO application was finished unexpectedly.  I tried a few times, and always have the same behavior.  I tried resetting the phone unit (Pressing the reset button while turning on), recalibrate the touch Screen, include the digital certificates and configured the user account again.  But when I have to wrote the pin, the application finished again.  I tried to reset again, but I forgot to unplug the USB Pendrive that I used to load the digital certificate and now the phone unit just stay in the OFFICE COMMUNICATOR PHONE EDITION LOAD SCREEN.

So is there a way to unblock the phone??, I think the phone is trying to load something from the usb drive.  Well, I need your help please to load the firmare again or unblock the phone in some way.

I have tried to load the OCS SUS using Sharepoint but i think i made a mistake because i can´t see any update available, and the links in the OCS SUS implementation Guide are not implemented yet.

Thank you again

Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:55 AM
  • Hello Oscar,

I have the same problem. The tanjay stops at the loading screen and even the reset button doesn't work.

Have you found any possibility to unlock the phone?

Thanks

Philipp

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 12:58 PM
  • Reset to factory defaults

User can reset the device like any other Mobile device to factory defaults by using small pin on back of device between headset and USB interface

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Hello,
    I know that it is possible to reset it by using the small pin on the back. But this is not working anymore !
    Any other possibilities?

Thanks for any help.
    Philipp
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:15 PM
  • I was finally able to get the Tanjay phone updated when WSUS got the Office Communicator Phone Edition update.

Now that I have the firmware updated, and its getting the time correctly all by itself, even after a power-cycle, it no longer will login.

The phone says the following when I attempt to sign-in:

"Connecting to Office Communications Server..."

That apparently succeeds and then changes to:

"Locating the server to download the certificate..."

After about 30-60 seconds the sign-in screen is shown again with this error message:

"Cannot download certificate because domain is not accessible."

I have a RapidSSL public cert on my edge server - is this root not supported by the phone?

I had to add the root last time, but now that the firmware is updated, I don't know how to get to the control panel.

Any ideas?

Friday, October 19, 2007 8:22 AM
  • Where can we get details on the new Catalina phone please, and possibly a source?  Thanks, Fred

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 11:34 PM
  • I'll second that - anyone know anyplace that has stock of the Polycom CX200??

-trevor

Thursday, October 25, 2007 1:27 AM
  • Our company received 2 Tanjays from MS in Aug. They had the firmware (I'm not sure now) .186? or something similar (a few days ago the FW .522 is public)

That time the Update Server was a in Beta stage, and luckily NO sharepoint was mentioned regarding to a simple 20 sec device firmware update. I just installed that Update server component, doing the DNS set-up, and the phones found the update server and downloaded the new FW. One of them was successfully updated, the other one seemed to update correctly also. But it made several reboots after some minutes of inactivity, and after the 5-6th reboot, it always stops at the boot splash screen, and since that time it is no longer able to boot.

Resetting to factory defaults with that small pin didnt help either.

Recently we received another bunch of tanjays, and "luckily" they also have some prehistoric FW version, but not old enough to simply update them with the beta update server. They need that **** sharepoint. The guide about configuring update server is about 50 pages, full of manual hacking and 3-4 misconfiguration possibility per pages. So good luck for anyone! Smile
    Thursday, October 25, 2007 8:59 AM
  •  

Did you get the new update service working?  We've been banging out head against it for 2 days now.  I have 2 repeating log entries (Windows App Log) each time a device tries to hit the update site:

Event ID: 0 (helpful!)

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Software Update Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: UpdateReqHandler Initializing.

then a .NET crash

Event ID: 1000 / Source .NET Runtime 2.0 Error

Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 6.0.3790.3959, stamp 45d6968e, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.2.3790.4062, stamp 46264680, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000bee7.

Followed the deploy guide to a "T"...suggestions or other alternative for updating our Tanjays?

-trevor

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Well, the situation is quite tricky.

First of all, we get similar messages in the event log. The first should be ok, but after that a "Reqhandler initialized" event should be also appearing, which means everything was fine. But we also receive errors about not finding configuration data for the configuration (can not receive it from sharepoint) and then similar crashes. We were not even able to configure anonym access, all sharepoint sites asked authentication regardless of repeating the related steps in the guide.

My solution was the following:

install a clean virtual environment with 1 DC with CA, 1 OCS, and 1 Sharepoint. Copy your virtual DC's root CA to a pendrive, and apply it to your tanjay certificate store. Than configure the system following the Tanjay guide. Check if Update Management console is working in the virtual environment. If yes, sign-in to that virtual environment with Tanjay, and wait for the update to finish. After that you will be able to use the updated device in your production environment (new firmware has corrected automatic certificate download from the domain)

One thing to note: there may be some missing details in the tanjay guide. I could make it only work after assigning domain/enterprise admin rights to every possible AD accounts (I mean every possible account that may be affected by IIS, Sharepoint, OCS).
    +2nd : the guide still lacks mentioning to put RTCComponentService into the IIS_WPG group locally

Maybe that can help solve your problem.
    Friday, November 16, 2007 8:47 AM
  • I recently found some good blogs, that have details about Tanjay configuration:

http://blogs.technet.com/chlacy/archive/2007/11/01/troubleshooting-office-communicator-phone-experience-a-k-a-tanjay-update-server.aspx

and

http://blogs.technet.com/jenstr/default.aspx

Maybe they are worth checking.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:11 PM
  • Hello,

How did you do that? I'm having several problems configuring the Update Service, when I try to browse https://myserverFQDN/MgmtConsole/ApprovalProcess.aspx or /upload.aspx I'm asked for credentials and using mydomain\Administrator or mydomain\RTCComponentService I get the same error: 'You are Not Authorized to View this page'.

Is there any way to diagnose and solve this?

I'm thinking on using your workaround as a solution but I don't know where the files have to be copied.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:38 PM
  • I wound up calling PSS and they managed to fix my install by manually setting up a config file on the WSS server.  They admitted this "wasn't the best piece of software" so suspect lots of folks having issues.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:09 PM
  • Would like to know which config file and exactly what they changed.  May aid myself and others with this issue.

Friday, December 28, 2007 11:19 PM
  • Regarding to the "You are not authorized to view this page" problem, make sure that the account under you are browsing the page is member of the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group explicitly.
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 11:33 AM
  • Hello Juanjo,

I´m having the same problems here. Since your post was a while ago, did you meanwhile manage to solve the problem? I would greatly acknowledge any hint.

Thanks,

Heiko

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:26 PM
  • For me, once I was able to get my update server up and added a WINS record for our internal certificate server; getting the Tanjay up and running was easy from there.  After a idle time of 5 minutes, the Tanjay got the update from the update server and rebooted.  Now I have no issues with the Tanjay holding the configuration.
    Wednesday, April 09, 2008 4:05 PM
  • Hello,

I´m still struggeling getting the update server on my OCS Standard Edition up and running. I followed the steps in the Software Update Service Deployment Guide but when I try to open "https://<FQDN of your Web Components Server or Standard Edition Server >/MgmtConsole/ApprovalProcess.aspx" I get "You are Not Authorized to View this page.". I tried to log in with the credentials of a Domain Admin and with those of the Component Service Account. Same result in both cases.

Help would be appreciated,

Heiko.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:21 AM
  • Refer to http://blogs.technet.com/chlacy/archive/2007/11/01/troubleshooting-office-communicator-phone-experience-a-k-a-tanjay-update-server.aspx

This is a great site in regards to troubleshooting permissions issues with the tanjay phones.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Hi Heiko,

I was having this same problem but the fix is really simple when you know what it is!

Make sure the account you are using to open the management console is a member of the RTCUniversalServerAdmins group in AD.

When I found out that this was needed I re-checked the documentation and, whilst it does say you need RTCUniversalServerAdmin rights or equivelant, I assumed I had the "equivenant" permissions as I've been administering OCS in my environment for 6 months without needing to be in this group.

I hope this helps,

Bri

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:48 AM
  • Hello Bri,

that did it for me! Many thanks and have a nice weekend.

Heiko.

Friday, April 11, 2008 10:01 AM