none
HPC Basic Profile Web Service - limited functionality

Question

• Hi,

I am developing a web portal (asp.net) to manage jobs, so that a user can submit jobs, list all jobs submitted, view a specific job details ...etc, just like the HpcPortal. Btw, the cluster runs HPC server 2008 R2.

I am using the "Creating Clients that Connect to the HPC Basic Profile Web Service" as a reference. It tells different functionality that the service provides, however while development, it looks very limited and a little bit different unlike what was written in the doc! or is it just me who does not know how to use it?!  

I have added the service to my project as you can see below.

using System;
    using System.CodeDom.Compiler;
    using System.Diagnostics;
    using System.ServiceModel;
    using System.ServiceModel.Channels;
    using System.Xml;

namespace ServiceReference1
    {
        [GeneratedCode("System.ServiceModel", "4.0.0.0")]
        [DebuggerStepThrough]
        public class BESFactoryPortTypeClient : ClientBase<BESFactoryPortType>, BESFactoryPortType
        {
            public BESFactoryPortTypeClient();
            public BESFactoryPortTypeClient(string endpointConfigurationName);
            public BESFactoryPortTypeClient(Binding binding, EndpointAddress remoteAddress);
            public BESFactoryPortTypeClient(string endpointConfigurationName, EndpointAddress remoteAddress);
            public BESFactoryPortTypeClient(string endpointConfigurationName, string remoteAddress);

public EndpointReferenceType CreateActivity(ref ActivityDocumentType ActivityDocument, ref XmlElement[] Any, ref XmlAttribute[] AnyAttr);
            public GetActivityDocumentResponseType[] GetActivityDocuments(EndpointReferenceType[] ActivityIdentifier, ref XmlElement[] Any, ref XmlAttribute[] AnyAttr);
            public GetActivityStatusResponseType[] GetActivityStatuses(EndpointReferenceType[] ActivityIdentifier, ref XmlElement[] Any, ref XmlAttribute[] AnyAttr);
            public FactoryResourceAttributesDocumentType GetFactoryAttributesDocument(ref XmlElement[] Any, ref XmlAttribute[] AnyAttr);
            public TerminateActivityResponseType[] TerminateActivities(EndpointReferenceType[] ActivityIdentifier, ref XmlElement[] Any, ref XmlAttribute[] AnyAttr);
        }
    }

In the normal scenario, I should be able to CreateActivity, GetActivityDocuments, GetActivityStatuses, GetFactoryAttributesDocument and TerminateActivities. I didnt test all yet, however I have the following problems so far:

1. Each of the functions have two additional parameters to pass (ref XmlElement[] Any, ref XmlAttribute[] AnyAttr) , I do not know for what purpose?!
    2. What if I want to get a description for a specific job? There is no GetActivityDocument (without "s").
    3. GetActivityDocuments returns a list of all activities for a specific client, but no enough description! It returns only the job IDs and task IDs which is not enough. What to do to get the name, progress, resources allocated, time ... etc?
    4. I cannot find any getting started or helloworld code for HPCBP, can you please help me with it?

I am new to HPC development so plz excuse my ignorance :)

Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We are investiging the issue you mentioned for HPCBasicProfile. Meanwhile, just let you know that we have a more powerful techonology in HPC 2008 Server R2 SP2 and SP3  called Web Portal. It has more job-related features then HpcBasicProfile. Can you check whether the web portal works better for you?

A summary is below. More details is here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh314627(WS.10).aspx

Submit jobs to the cluster from a web portal. In SP2, a cluster administrator can install the HPC Web Services Suite to set up a web portal that enables cluster users to submit and monitor jobs without installing the HPC Pack client utilities. A cluster administrator can create and customize Job Submission Pages in the portal that are based on existing job templates. Additionally, administrators can provide default values for application-specific command lines and parameters. Application command information can be defined and saved as an Application Profile and can then be associated with one or more job submission pages. When you launch the portal, it automatically includes one submission page that is based on the Default job template.

Liwei

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Hi Liwei!

Thanks for the reply :)

Well, I have already used the web portal, it is pretty good but I do not know how to customize it to fit my needs! I want to develop something more user friendly with more functionality, thats why am asking about the HPCBasicProfile.

Is there any other solution?

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:49 PM
  • The preferred API to use for this is the REST API. I would strongly recommend using the REST API instead of the HPC Basic Profile.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh560258(v=VS.85).aspx

There have been further enhancements in our SP3 release, but the MSDN documentation hasn't been completed yet.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:30 PM