none
I am unable to activate my copy of Windows XP after a system crash and re-install...says my copy is not a valid copy.

Question

• I have had this copy of windows XP since it first came out.  I purchased it many years ago.  I had a system crash due to a lightening storm and had to put in a new hard drive and re-install the software.  Now Windows Activation will not let me activate my copy saying it is not a valid product key.  What gives?  How do I fix this?  I only have this copy on one computer, one that is too old for Windows 7 (which is legally on all my other computers through individual licenses). 

Please help.

Monday, August 08, 2011 2:58 AM

Answers

• Hello Dan at IT Associates

I tried to log on in Safe Mode and the system won't let me.  Even when I try to log on as an administrator.

I did get hold of the microsoft support people and I was told my CD key is blocked from activation due to the fact that I have had to re-install Windows too many times (which I had to do due to viruses and spyware from my wife going to sites that are a little flaky, or when the OS started to slow down to due the accumulation of errors due to software installs and deletes).  I explained to the support adviser that I had never given my CD key to anyone else, and that I had only installed on this one old computer.  My other computers all run Windows 7 (Home for my kids and Pro for mine).  I was told that that the issue was the too frequent use of the CD key and that I will need to talk to someone on the Pacific Coast when I am available during their hours and I 'might' be able to have the issue resolved.  I was also told that I might have to 'purchase' a new CD key from Microsoft, even though the CD key I have is a legal one.  I will have to see how this plays out when I can get time off work to call when Microsoft is available.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dave

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:37 PM

All replies

• I have had this copy of windows XP since it first came out.  I purchased it many years ago.  I had a system crash due to a lightening storm and had to put in a new hard drive and re-install the software.  Now Windows Activation will not let me activate my copy saying it is not a valid product key.  What gives?  How do I fix this?  I only have this copy on one computer, one that is too old for Windows 7 (which is legally on all my other computers through individual licenses). 

Please help.

I am unable to run the checking tool as I am unable to log into Windows XP due to the need to activate, which I cannot do.  What can I do to resolve this issue?  

Thanks

Dave

Monday, August 08, 2011 3:12 AM
  • "BioDave1955" wrote in message news:6029ce37-5f7c-4d5c-8078-7e111a5a9278...

I have had this copy of windows XP since it first came out.  I purchased it many years ago.  I had a system crash due to a lightening storm and had to put in a new hard drive and re-install the software.  Now Windows Activation will not let me activate my copy saying it is not a valid product key.  What gives?  How do I fix this?  I only have this copy on one computer, one that is too old for Windows 7 (which is legally on all my other computers through individual licenses).

Please help.

This issue usually occurs when you use the wrong edition’s install disk for the installation.
    Is this a Retail or OEM Key? (if OEM, then it should be on a sticker on the machine) – the channel
    Is it Home or Pro? – the edition
    You must use the same channel and edition of disk as the Key (since you say that you have had this Key since XP was released, I assume it’s an RTM Key – so you avoid the possibility of having mistakenly used an SP3-only key with an earlier SP-level disk)

he other obvious possibility is that you are either mistyping the Key, or misreading it.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, August 08, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Hello BioDave 1955,

Can you log on in Safe Mode?  If so try running the mgadiag utility from Safe Mode.

If the mgadiag won't run in Safe Mode, try re-arming Windows XP activation by following these directions:

Click Start>Run.

Type (or better yet cut and paste) the following command into Run and click OK.

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

[Note: command must be typed exacly as above with space, caps, and comma.]

This command is designed to re-arm Windows Activation to give you another 30-day grace period during which time you can make more activation attempts, doing a Telephonic activation if necessary.

If you try it, let us know if it worked for you. :-)

Monday, August 08, 2011 9:59 PM
  • Hello Dan at IT Associates

I tried to log on in Safe Mode and the system won't let me.  Even when I try to log on as an administrator.

I did get hold of the microsoft support people and I was told my CD key is blocked from activation due to the fact that I have had to re-install Windows too many times (which I had to do due to viruses and spyware from my wife going to sites that are a little flaky, or when the OS started to slow down to due the accumulation of errors due to software installs and deletes).  I explained to the support adviser that I had never given my CD key to anyone else, and that I had only installed on this one old computer.  My other computers all run Windows 7 (Home for my kids and Pro for mine).  I was told that that the issue was the too frequent use of the CD key and that I will need to talk to someone on the Pacific Coast when I am available during their hours and I 'might' be able to have the issue resolved.  I was also told that I might have to 'purchase' a new CD key from Microsoft, even though the CD key I have is a legal one.  I will have to see how this plays out when I can get time off work to call when Microsoft is available.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dave

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 12:37 PM
  • biodave, thanks a million, this DID re-arm my 30-day counter, and resolved a LOT of anxiety that we use this machine for!!  many thanks, - the james gang
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:17 PM
  • "gjamesgang" wrote in message news:b56a81a4-b74c-48be-96cd-d404d1b79857...
    biodave, thanks a million, this DID re-arm my 30-day counter, and resolved a LOT of anxiety that we use this machine for!!  many thanks, - the james gang

Two problems:-
    1) The solution was presented by Dan @IT Associates, rather than BioDave.
    2) It only delays things by thirty days – you still need to address the problem that caused the notification in the first place.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, October 17, 2011 1:02 AM