none
Error when download multiple files on WHS: "The data area passed to a system call is too small" - Need help

Question

• We have this same problem on multiple Vista computers when trying to download more than one file (of any type, mp3, photo, etc.) from WHS with Power Pack 1 installed:

* If you try to download the files to a self-executing *.exe file you get this error when you try to execute the downloaded file:
    "This self-extracting file is part of a multidisk file. Insert the last disk of the set."

* If you try to download the files to a *.zip file you get the following error when you try to save the file:
    "The data area passed to a system call is too small"

Multiple reboots of the server and the Vista machines has no effect.
    Monday, October 06, 2008 10:57 PM

Answers

• You might want to submit a bug report on Connect, with server logs (collected using the toolkit).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 3:59 PM

All replies

• mrobins3 said:

We have this same problem on multiple Vista computers when trying to download more than one file (of any type, mp3, photo, etc.) from WHS with Power Pack 1 installed:

* If you try to download the files to a self-executing *.exe file you get this error when you try to execute the downloaded file:
    "This self-extracting file is part of a multidisk file. Insert the last disk of the set."

* If you try to download the files to a *.zip file you get the following error when you try to save the file:
    "The data area passed to a system call is too small"

Multiple reboots of the server and the Vista machines has no effect.

Hi

What happens when you copy the files using a command like robocopy or using an explorer window?

Also, are these multipart compressed files?

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 2:34 AM
  • You might want to submit a bug report on Connect, with server logs (collected using the toolkit).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 07, 2008 3:59 PM