none
WGA won't Activate

Question

• Ok, so I recived my WGA Key via email.  The CD has not arrived yet.  The key appeared some time on Friday but I didn't get a chance to run the KeyUpdateTool.exe and input my new, ligitimate key, until Sat.  All went fine - The update tool scanned my PC to make sure there were no hacked files, just as had been said.  It took my new key without problem, but then it stopped with an error (0x8004b03c) and a message saying that the tool have been unable to activate windows and that I may have to activate after a restart (not and internet connection problem - I'm on ADSL via a router and it was/is working fine - also my firewall was not obstructing as I dissabled it while I ran the update software to avoid problems).  Not a problem I thought..... I spoke too soon it seems....

After the restart I get a message from the tool saying that it had a problem and couldn't activate windows.... Similar to the message I had already recived but asking for feedback.  Put tick into the box only to find that "this survey has now ended" or something like that.  So I couldn't give any feedback there.  Got into windows and tried to activate it (start/activate windows).  It said incorrect product key!!! and asked for a new one saying the one below may have been mistyped (the boxes were blank).  I typed in the one I recived from MS (the WGA one) again but it kept taking me back to the same screen.  So I thought I'd use my common sence and roll back my PC, remove the firewall (Zone Alarm) and Anti-Virus (NOD32) just to be sure they weren't getting in the way.  Went though the whole process again and still the same outcome.  Re-installed my firewall and anti-virus - better safe than sorry.

So I clicked the "Telephone" button in the Activate Windows prog. Phoned the UK number and got through to the activation line, read out the installation ID code and was told that I would have to phone Tech Support.  They are shut Sat & Sun!!!

Monday, phoned Tech support - They then put me through to the WGA dep.  I tried to explain the situation to a guy who I thought understood.  He told me to go to a URL he read out to me, download the tool and it should fix the situation.  I said thanks and hung the phone up.... Big mistake - I should have done it while he was still on the line.... It was the same tool that I'd run to change the install code in the first place - KeyUpdateTool.exe.  Just to be sure, I ran this new download incase it was an updated one.  Still the same problem.  Rang back but went straight though to the WGA dept.... Well after around 1/2hr in a phone queue that is!!! (Isn't 0870 6... Charged at 7.5p per min??!!! - god help my phone bill)  Got a guy with a scotish accent who understood exactly what I was on about.

As I'd already been looking at these forums I had already done everything that this guy needed me to do.  I had even run WGADiag2.exe which reported "Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated".  He tried to get hold of the activation dept as he said that the code I'd been emailed was fine (I'd read it out to him along with my windows product ID) and should work without problem.  He could not understand why my Win XP won't activate.  He couldn't get through to the activation dpt so took my details.  He said someone would phone me back..... That was yesterday.  I'm still waiting for a call and I'm still not activated.  I just keep getting a so many days left message.... Just as bad as the WGA popup that I got before but now I can't even use Windows update etc.  I'm begining to think I was better off with the counterfit warning.  So, is it £92 down the drain or will I get my copy of windows activated?  Lucky I paid by credit card.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:12 AM

Answers

• Well I got hold of Tech Support again, and this time I've been given a case number.  We went through changing the key to the one I've been emailed again.  Did this a few times via "activate windows" but still it won't activate.  I'm having to wait for the CD to arrive and then do a repair install.  Hopefully this will do the trick.  The case number is being help open untill the disk arrives and the problem is resolved.  Anyway, I must say that the woman from Tech Support, Neha, was most helpfull.  I thought I was going to get the run around having had a hooky copy of XP on my machine, but no.  As I've got the WGA version now I've been looked after properly.  Just a pitty that the activation part hasn't worked as it should.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:03 PM
  • ICDeadPeople:

Can you walk me through your Activation issues?

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:30 PM
  • I would recommend heading to http://support.microsoft.com to file a support request about Product Activation. Unfortunately, we can't provide support for Prod Activation here, as we specialize in WGA only :(

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:47 PM

All replies

• Well I got hold of Tech Support again, and this time I've been given a case number.  We went through changing the key to the one I've been emailed again.  Did this a few times via "activate windows" but still it won't activate.  I'm having to wait for the CD to arrive and then do a repair install.  Hopefully this will do the trick.  The case number is being help open untill the disk arrives and the problem is resolved.  Anyway, I must say that the woman from Tech Support, Neha, was most helpfull.  I thought I was going to get the run around having had a hooky copy of XP on my machine, but no.  As I've got the WGA version now I've been looked after properly.  Just a pitty that the activation part hasn't worked as it should.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:03 PM
  • ICDeadPeople:

Can you walk me through your Activation issues?

-Phil Liu

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:30 PM
  • No prob:

Downloaded KeyUpdateTool.exe and ran it.  Put in my new WGA product Key that MS had email me.  KeyUpdateTool.exe scanned my pc to make sure all was well - didn't say anything so I assume it was fine.  It said it was downloading something (very quick message - on broadband so it's download was done in a flash so didn't get to read it before it went).  Then a message poped up with error 0x8004b03c saying that windows could not activate and may need activating after a restart which it then offered to do( restart that is).  PC restarted, message saying that windows did not activate (from the KeyUpdateTool.exe prog).  Clicked OK and windows started.  Went to start/activate windows as you would expect.  That couldn't activate over the net either.  It said invalid product key.  It also said to check the key below was correct but the spaces were blank.  I entered the key into these spaces and clicked change.  Came back with same message.  Tried system restore and removed firewall and ani-virus just to be sure.  Repeated the whole process but same results.  re-installed firewall and anti-virus (better safe than sorry).  Went throught "activate windows" programe again -  Clicked telephone button, got UK number and followed the automated phone instructions.  That failed and put me through to an operator.  She tried, but it still failed so said I'd have to phone tech support.  As you'll see from my messages I eventualy got a case number and woman called Neha has been helping.  Oh, I downloaded the WGADiag2.exe tool at some stage as well - that said "Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated" in red.  Anyway, ran though with Neha what I'd tried already.  She had me run "activate windows" then all the way through to the phone-in page and click Change Key button there.  Re-entered my new prod key - tried to activate but same problem.  Neha then put me through to the automated number, with her still on the line.  Went through process but still no - it put me through to an operator - Neha explained to her the situation and we tried again.  We then tried re-starting the PC and getting a different activation  ID to read out.  Still no luck.  Neha had already confirmed that my product key was valid after I'd read it out to her.  She said something about checking on the activation system and that it was there also so I should have no problem.  I'm now waiting for the CD to arrive so we can try a "repair" install and see if that does the trick - possible corrupt or hacked activation software?.  In the mean time I keep getting the so may days to activate message.  Not quite as bad as the not genuine one, but anoying all the same.  Also I can't use most of the MS website now as it instists that I activate windows as does some software on my PC.  I hope you can get someting out of this info.  I'd hate to think that this is happening to a lot of people with the WGA kit...... Hope the CD arrives soon so I can try the repair install.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:03 AM
  • IC:

Its possible that the activation software on your copy of Windows may have gotten corrupted one way or another. Can you run the diagnostics tool and paste its output to a reply here? It will better help me track what may be happening with your computer.

Thanks!

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 8:05 PM
  • Thanks Phil.  WGADiag2 comes back with:

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0526.1):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Not Activated
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GHH7F-CR2D3-RHH2Q
    Windows Product Key Hash: hdn8i2j7T+PhJkU0QExAGeWb+tI=
    Windows Product ID: 44275-083-2239212-22353
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: S87BP45
    ID: 3d2de89b-6427-43d3-9dff-9195ce8edd9c
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.526.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-528-645_B4D0AA8B-528-645

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>3d2de89b-6427-43d3-9dff-9195ce8edd9c</UGUID><Version>1.5.0526.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PID>44275-083-2239212-22353</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1177238915-1364589140-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>F6</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060210000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>8ACA31FF01844E68</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 
    The "Not Activated" bit at the top is reported in red by WGADiag2.  Oh, and before you ask, I have tried setting my default browser to IE, but that made no difference either.  Hope that helps.
    Thursday, May 25, 2006 4:21 AM
  • I would recommend heading to http://support.microsoft.com to file a support request about Product Activation. Unfortunately, we can't provide support for Prod Activation here, as we specialize in WGA only :(

-Phil Liu

Thursday, May 25, 2006 8:47 PM