MP4 codecs/ Flip camcorder/ Windows Movie Maker - Windows Vista

Question

• I've bought a Flip pocket camcorder, which uses mp4 files.  Windows Vista doesn't seem to be able to manage mp4, either in Media Player or Movie Maker.  I see there are apparent solutions online, and tried one on someone else's computer, though it only played back audio - seems mp4 codecs aren't all equal or the same functionally.  I'm not keen on installing third party codec packs from possibly dubious sources but would like to use the Flip with Vista and Movie Maker - this camcorder is in vogue and it seems strange no update has dealt with this common file type.  (Its own software is pretty useless and I know creates a conflict with Windows 7 causing the pitch of mp4 audio to be higher than normal, in Vista it enables Movie Maker to get only the audio from the mp4 file.)

Any recommendations, or any codec pack coming straight from Microsoft?  I see there is a pack for XP and older Media Player.

I have Videolan's VLC on this computer, and this can play mp4 files, but its codec doesn't install system-wide, just for itself it seems.

Thanks.

• Edited by alun_sundry Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:58 AM
    • Moved by Max Wang_Chinasoft Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:28 PM forum consolidation (From:General Discussion)
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 4:59 AM

All replies

• And no, I don't want to use any converter - no manual efforts - that would soon become a drag.
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 5:14 AM
  • Any luck yet?

I have the same problem.

Tuesday, July 06, 2010 2:32 AM
  • holla at me if you get a fix. i'm in a similar situation
    Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Months later ... I work in eight schools and the newest FLIP cameras are a total pain for us to use now.  We are a Windows XP environment - and will be for a while - and, as listed above the FLIP software will not do all we want to do with it.  We don't have the money to pay for expensive video editing software, and we don't want to have to install another application for conversion.  I've written FLIP with a totally unsatisfactory response, about offering an "Export As" choice in their software. Seems the only option now is to stop supporting FLIP and buy a clone which is sad because we really like the ease of use of the FLIPS.

Did anyone get an answer?

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:40 PM