Trusted Certificates Windows Home Server: How do I get one?

Question

• I am having the same problem as other folks when accessing the Windows Home Server remotely with Remote Access.

The question is:  how do I get one?  I am NOT using the ***.homeserver.com.  I have a domain name that I purchased from Network Solutions a while back. and that is the one I want to use.

Thanks.
    Monday, June 23, 2008 4:17 PM

Answers

• If you don't use the homeserver.com provided one, then it's up to you to buy one from a Certificate Authority of your choice.

Colin

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Only the ****.HomeServer.com domains currently offer a free trusted SSL certificate.    Another solution to your dilemma is to just get a ****.homeserver.com domain and then use your personal vanity domain for redirection.  So change the DNS records at Network Solutions for your vanity domain to point to your ****.homeserver.com domain.  That way you can have your vanity domain and not have to pay $20+ / year for a SSL certificate.

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:27 PM
  •  Driv3r wrote:
    I'm using ***.homeserver.com.  Can someone point me to where I can get the free certificate?  My searches have only yielded discussions about the free certificate, not the source.

It's automatically installed on your server once you install all of the critical updates.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:08 AM
  • There shouldn't be a lag, though it can take time for DNS to propagate. Not that propagation is necessary in this case; the Live servers are authoritative for the homeserver.com domain, so if there's no locally cached entry for a particular subdomain, the Live servers should be consulted...
    Friday, July 18, 2008 1:42 AM

All replies

• If you don't use the homeserver.com provided one, then it's up to you to buy one from a Certificate Authority of your choice.

Colin

Monday, June 23, 2008 4:44 PM
  • Only the ****.HomeServer.com domains currently offer a free trusted SSL certificate.    Another solution to your dilemma is to just get a ****.homeserver.com domain and then use your personal vanity domain for redirection.  So change the DNS records at Network Solutions for your vanity domain to point to your ****.homeserver.com domain.  That way you can have your vanity domain and not have to pay $20+ / year for a SSL certificate.

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Or do like I have done for years on my servers, and just click to ignore it, it's really not that big of deal I never thought. You data is still secure which is the point, and if you're setting up 10 accounts for family & friends, just tell them to ignore it too, or buy you a cert every year Wink

And if you do buy a cert, get one from godaddy.com or one of the cheaper places, Network Solutions is over priced.NS is $89 a year for a domain, and godaddy.com is $29 a year.

Monday, June 23, 2008 11:30 PM
  •  

I'm using ***.homeserver.com.  Can someone point me to where I can get the free certificate?  My searches have only yielded discussions about the free certificate, not the source.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:50 PM
  •  Driv3r wrote:

It's automatically installed on your server once you install all of the critical updates.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 12:08 AM
  • Thanks- it indeed works.  I guess there is some lag time between signing up and receiving the certificate.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:50 PM
  • There shouldn't be a lag, though it can take time for DNS to propagate. Not that propagation is necessary in this case; the Live servers are authoritative for the homeserver.com domain, so if there's no locally cached entry for a particular subdomain, the Live servers should be consulted...
    Friday, July 18, 2008 1:42 AM