none
Windows 7 PRO - 32 bit to 64 bit

Question

• I am thinking of buying a Dell Optiplex computer that comes pre-installed with  Windows 7 Professional 32 bit.

Is there a way I could upgrade it to 64 bit?

The machine has a 64 bit processor.

If so, and what would the cost be?

Alternatively - I will be buying a Windows 7 PRO 64 bit disk to upgrade a Windows XP machine.

Can I use the 64 bit disk to install over the operating system which comes with the Dell,  

as well as to  install on the  XP machine

Using the validation key which comes with the 64 bit  for the XP machine

and using the validation key which comes with the 32 bit DELL  to activate 64 bit on it?

(Note I know I have to do a fresh install on the XP machine, not an upgrade)

I read  "Windows 7 Upgrade Activation Key - Are  32 bit & 64 bit keys..."

In it the guy brought a  32 and  a  64  version and was going to 

use the 64 bit disk for both machines then use the  32 licence activation for one and 64 for the other

and that seemed to be OK.

So am I correct in extrapolating that I could use a  64 disk to reinstall on the DELL that comes with 32 bit, and then use the Dell activation key

for that one,  and the activation key that comes with the 64 disk for it?

Thanks

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:43 PM

Answers

• The product key for OEM copies of Windows only work with the version ordered with the computer.  If you order the computer with a 32bit W7 Pro that is all you will be entitled to and the product key will not work with anything else but W7 Pro 32bit. 

Order the computer with a 64bit copy of Pro or buy a retail upgrade copy of Windows 7 Pro after the fact.  Retail copies come with both versions and a product key that can be used with either.  Although a custom installation is required when changing versions, the upgrade license is fine for doing so.

You can use a retail Windows 7 dvd on any computer but you need copies of Windows for each because each installation requires its own product key.  This is from a Windows 7 retail license.

2.   INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a.   One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

b.   Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

c.   Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.

d.   Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

I suggest you not order the computer with the 32bit version.  Save some money and buy it with the 64bit version in the first place.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:02 AM