What Programming Language is Windows written in?

Question

• Hi,  I have had this question for a long time...what programming language is used to code the Windows OS?  Is it a C based language?  I cannot find the answer to this anywhere, so if you know it would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 6:00 PM

Answers

• We use almost entirely C, C++, and C# for Windows. Some areas of code are hand tuned/hand written assembly.

ryan
    Ryan Waite - Product Unit Manager - Windows HPC
    Friday, January 09, 2009 6:21 PM

All replies

• We use almost entirely C, C++, and C# for Windows. Some areas of code are hand tuned/hand written assembly.

ryan
    Friday, January 09, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Would I be right in thinking that some of that tuning could only be done in binary? I am just learning to use c++ and c# and I wondered if I might accidentally reset something without knowing.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:23 AM
  • backinthe days of vic20 and commodore 64 we used basic as higher level language with resulting syntax errors for wrong code but there was also a machine language programming system available this was machine code a step by step instruction by instruction like add a to b to get c and put in d. When using low level machine code very intensive one mistake and the computer would reject and shutdown into nowhere land so C while it can do the same has certain debuggers to prevent it while machine (binary) is direct processor instruction code related can destroy an operating system if wrong code is entered. At my age 58 C is too much to relearn so i leave it to the experts. I do however recommend microsofts smallbasic it requires netframe 3 both available from microsoft for developers with a limited easy to use but powerfull set of instructions and graphics much safer and easier than c or machine specific code good luck with c
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 5:26 AM
  • Thanks for the good luck, I think I will need it all. I am using visual basic and feel quite sure I will have to learn all the languages. One by one.... so I hope people don't keep inventing new ones. So far I am learning more than doing....
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 2:00 AM
  • I had the same question with Kattech too, and thanks for answering. But now I have another question. Since C++ is object-oriented, how is it that you use dynamic libraries like dlls? Or you use mostly C? Thank you.
    Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Hi ilikewindows,

I think you'll find as you learn more and more languages that using dynamicly linked libraries is a fairly common feature, available in a number of languages. While the specific technique may vary a little the support is fairly common.

Good luck with learning to program. It is a rewarding experience.

r.

Sunday, May 08, 2011 9:55 PM