fix it center setup encountered an error

Question

• I am unable to install on Windows 7 x64 Professional. I received the error:

"Fix it Center Setup encountered an error. An unexpected error has ocurred. Please close and try to run Setup again later."

Any ideas?

Monday, April 19, 2010 7:14 PM

Answers

• Hello Cristian.

Thanks for your information. The presence of the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf" is one of the confirmed causes of this particular error. May I ask what anti-virus/anti-malware software you have ever tried on this computer? I believe the registry key has been previously added to your computer to thwart malware on removable devices. But the registry key unconditionally block both illegitimate and legitimate programs, including setup program for the Fix it Center application.

Given that your computer contains the aforementioned registry key, one workaround for your case is to run Registry Editor (regedit.exe) from the Start menu, and have the registry key temporarily renamed while the Fix it Center application is being installed. You may also refer to the following forum thread for MargusS' workaround which essentially does the same thing.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/fixitcenter/thread/b526310a-b6fb-4f0e-b6c7-cd49f5c7d200

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Sr. Software Development Engineer

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

This email is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:31 AM

All replies

• Same here under win7 x86 pro N  french
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Same error here.

Administrator credentials.

Cristian Lefter, SQL Server MVP, MCT, MCSA, MCDBA, MCAD, MCSD .NET, MCTS, MCITP
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Same here using an Admin account under Vista Business 32bit SP2.

Maybe the product title should be changed to Microsoft Broke it Center.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:25 PM
  • same error on windows 7 ultimate 32 bit with Italian language installed.

My Account have admin privilege. "Broke It Center" not work!!!

Friday, April 23, 2010 7:54 AM
  • And same error for me too: Vista, US, Administrator...
    Friday, April 23, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Mine does same,won't install on win7 x64,'encounted an error and cannot install',but i can't decide from ur list if it is supposed to or not?

Maybe say it does not work on any x64 except xp pro so it's obvious.Need a tool like this for most people.Keep up good work!Thanx.

Friday, April 23, 2010 7:49 PM
  • I haven't try yet the solution proposed by MargusS in this thread but maybe it's a work-around: Fit-It needs to be fixed!!!!!

Friday, April 23, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Fix it Center (beta).

I'd like to gather a bit more info from you to further understand the problem encountered.

What is the output you get from running the following command line in a command prompt?

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf"

To launch the command prompt, you may click on the Start button, type in "cmd.exe" and then hit Enter.

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

Saturday, April 24, 2010 3:36 AM
  • Hi there.I did the reg query, came back (default) REG_SZ @SYS:DoesNotExist on win7x64 premium. I did the reg fix,no difference. thanx
    Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:22 AM
  • Hi there.I did the reg query, came back (default) REG_SZ @SYS:DoesNotExist on win7x64 premium. I did the reg fix,no difference. thanx

@rover3500

Please kindly elaborate what "reg fix" you did. What did the reg query command I mentioned output afterwards? FYI, "reg query" does not change any system states.

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

Saturday, April 24, 2010 5:30 AM
  • The output for me was:

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf
      <NO NAME>  REG_SZ @SYS:DoesNotExist

Saturday, April 24, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Hello Cristian.

Thanks for your information. The presence of the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf" is one of the confirmed causes of this particular error. May I ask what anti-virus/anti-malware software you have ever tried on this computer? I believe the registry key has been previously added to your computer to thwart malware on removable devices. But the registry key unconditionally block both illegitimate and legitimate programs, including setup program for the Fix it Center application.

Given that your computer contains the aforementioned registry key, one workaround for your case is to run Registry Editor (regedit.exe) from the Start menu, and have the registry key temporarily renamed while the Fix it Center application is being installed. You may also refer to the following forum thread for MargusS' workaround which essentially does the same thing.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/fixitcenter/thread/b526310a-b6fb-4f0e-b6c7-cd49f5c7d200

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

Saturday, April 24, 2010 8:31 AM
  • The install worked after renaming the registry key and restarting my machine. Thank you Daniel!
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 8:18 AM
  • Same problem, same message.

Vista 64 Bit Home Premium

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:43 AM
  • After putting this:  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf".. into the cmd window, I get this:

"The system cannot find the path specified."

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:51 AM
  • After putting this:  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf".. into the cmd window, I get this:

"The system cannot find the path specified."

@mrclose

Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Fix it Center (beta).

Please kindly retry with the following command line, as mentioned in my previous reply:

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf"

If you get an output that's similarly to Cristian's above, you may attempt the same workaround I suggested to him in a earlier reply.

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:15 AM
  • Thank you for your interest in Microsoft Fix it Center (beta).

I'd like to gather a bit more info from you to further understand the problem encountered.

What is the output you get from running the following command line in a command prompt?

To launch the command prompt, you may click on the Start button, type in "cmd.exe" and then hit Enter.

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

Same on my WinXP Prof SP3, on administrator account.

The output for command reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf" is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Adrian-Admin>reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFil
    eMapping\Autorun.inf"

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf
        <BEZ NAZWY> REG_SZ  @SYS:DoesNotExist

C:\Documents and Settings\Adrian-Admin>

I'm using polish language, polish(programmers) keyboard. Antivirus software on my system, is Norton Internet Security 2010.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:57 PM
  • @ryniek

Please see the answer at the top of this thread.

Regards,

Daniel Chow

Product Quality & Online

Microsoft Corporation

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:18 PM
  • If you have Hard time following it  check with Microsft help desk team

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=3221&&st=1&wfxredirect=2

Saturday, May 08, 2010 2:36 AM
  • The install worked after renaming the registry key and restarting my machine. Thank you Daniel!

Not a problem, Cristian.

Would you mind telling me what kind of anti-virus and anti-malware software you are now running on that computer or any one-time anti-malware software you have run on it in the past?

Regards

Daniel Chow
    Product Quality and Online

Saturday, May 08, 2010 2:48 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

I use a Vista system and couldn't find the registry key but still have the same erro message as mentioned above. Is there something else worth a try?

thnx

Peter

Monday, September 20, 2010 12:03 PM
  • since avg found 3 or more cookies on pc, microsoft fix does not start anymore. the first time, it worked, but then found avg cookies, and gives me an error like this, or thread, more or less says that troubleshoutter is not installed.
    I have xp home, and are a standard user. my pc is not installed right and tells me a lot of files that Windows protects your PC for dangerous. or protected by said AUTHORITIES.

I put all the files from father to son, and I can not do anything. I hope that this program will solve anything. I can also turn on the firewall, the system recovery. I hope I have inspired at what points to address. how can I solve the problem fix it?
    Friday, November 26, 2010 1:29 PM
  • REG.EXE v 3.0  REG.SZ @SYS: DOES NOT EXIST

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:11 AM
  • Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I have a similar problem. 

"Fix It Centre Setup encountered an error.  An unexpected error has occurred.  Please close and try to run Setup again later"

The problem report sent ot Microsoft mentioned a bootstrap error.

I tried the MargusS workaround you mentioned above, and I am still unsuccessful in getting Fix It Center to go through a setup.

That particular registry key now appears to be missing from the registry when I look for it.

History:

Fix It center was working  on my computer in the recent past.  Since that time I had MS Computer Essentials and Avast antivirus both installed on my computer, sometimes one without the other.

Eventually I  encountered  problems with shut down not powering off, and also with stalls or system hanging completely after booting.  Yesterday when I tried to use Fix It Center to problem solve,  the webpage said that my configuration was not supported. I knew that to  be completely wrong.   I thought the 2 antivirus programs might be conflicting with each other.  I consulted this forum and tried the MargusS workaround, but still unable to setup Fix It Center.   I ended up uninstalling  both MS Computer essentials and Avast.  I have now reinstalled MS Computer Essentials and it is now the only antivirus running.  The system is responding well so far,  for boots and shutdown.

I want to be able to use Fix-It Center in the future and have it installed and available.  however I still can not successfully set it up.  

Thank you so much.

Saturday, April 14, 2012 6:00 PM