none
What happens if trying to reinstall WHS 2011

Question

•   I had setup a new system and transferred all my data onto it.  I have over 2.5 TB of data.  My system is not booting now and all of my backups were erased as I was going to make one backup of the server on next reboot.  All my data is on here and it will not boot.  Honestly I have not tried safe mode yet.  It tries to boot and get the Splash screen then it reboots.  All hard drives had tested good, they are all brand new.  I am wanting to try and reinstall but I cannot find any documentation on procedure of reinstalling the server only.  It gets to one step and it seems as though if I pressed next it would reformat both C and D.  Since D is where some of my files are I cannot have this.  In WHS2003 you could do just a server reinstall and it would leave all of you data intact.  Is this true with 2011???  Has anyone tried it with 2011???
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:09 AM

All replies

• A reinstall will format your first HDD (C: & D: drives) - the method of getting data back from D: is to recover it from a Server backup, which unfortunately you don't have. What I suggest will require more hardware - you could connect your disk to another computer and move all data off it to another location and then reinstall after putting the disk back into your server. Alternatively, you could install a fresh installation of WHS on another disk and then connect the drive with the data on it to the server and then follow something like this (which I used to move data from a Release Candidate install to a production version):

This is how I did it:

In Vail, moved all shared folders to my main 2TB data drive
        Shut down Vail and removed connections to 2TB drive and did a fresh WHS2011 install on the 500GB boot disk on which Server Folders were created.
        Shut down server and reconnect 2TB drive. Booted and renamed all Server Folders on 2TB drive as NameOld (e.g. MusicOld)
        Ran the Move Folder wizard from the Dashboard to move Shared folders from D: to E: (2TB drive).
        Logged in locally and moved files from MusicOld to Music (both on same 2TB disk) and deleted the NameOld folders.

This worked for all my data and took no time at all as there was no copying from disk to disk. You would then need to do something to get rid of the old WHS install partition.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:26 AM
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 3:18 AM
  • I have same issue, going to need to reinstall as dashboard has certificate issues, and the MS step by step failed, so I have 6 drives with data, if I reinstall on C; no biggy, but how do I get the server to recognize my other drives and add them with out trying to reformat them and accepting the data on there as is. I have 12 terabytes well 5 used, but thats alot of data to transfer, luckly I did not keep any data on my c/d drive just os, I also running the install disc, it found no backups EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I HAVE THEM, I suppose the server can only restore a backup from C/D drive which is not where its at.

Friday, October 07, 2011 11:58 PM
  • I'm having the same problems as noted above.  For future re-installs, I would think you could protect data that's segregated on Drive E: from getting reformatted on subsequent WHS 2011 re-intstalls?  Is this true?

Microsoft, you guys have got to fix these problems.  This makes an advanced system (WHS 2011) as unreliable as the first version of Windows, except we now have infinitely more data to lose. 

Saturday, June 09, 2012 9:33 PM