Remote Desktop to home server from web interface

Question

• As the title says, I am trying to remote desktop into my WHS from the webpage outside to manage some other stuff not on the dashboard. I know you were able to do this in WHSv1 but I can't seem to find it in vail, does anyone know if you can set it to where when you connect to the vail computer from the web interface it will take you to the desktop and not the dashboard?
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:08 PM

Answers

• As the title says, I am trying to remote desktop into my WHS from the webpage outside to manage some other stuff not on the dashboard. I know you were able to do this in WHSv1 but I can't seem to find it in vail, does anyone know if you can set it to where when you connect to the vail computer from the web interface it will take you to the desktop and not the dashboard?

Officially... WHS does not support that. But with a littke trick you can - sort off.
    From the remote Dashboard you can run "mstsc" and then connect remotely to any computer on your network that supports remote access.

How to run "mstsc"?
    You can use AWIECO's RemoteLauncher AddIn
    or just select settings->Change/Install update. From there type "mstsc" in the address bar :-)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Kin Hanabishi Friday, April 15, 2011 4:47 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:01 PM

All replies

No you can not... but whats funny is that you can access other computers on your network from the WHS webpage...

I got around this using Live Mesh 2011 (Microsoft Product).  Its awesome!  Its completely compatible with WHS 2011 and Win 7.  It has other features like syncing of folders, etc. but I have not found a use for them.  Generally you log onto a site called devices.live.com.  All of the machines that you have configured for live Mesh will show up.  Click Connect and WAM!  Your logon and your in... Real nice and real fast... very impressed so far.

Good Luck!

Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Currently I'm playing with Storage Server Essentials and I don't have a WHS2011 machine running for remote access.
    There is a registry entry that will allow this in Storage Server. Maybe try it on a WHS2011 machine and see what it does?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\RDP]
    "EnableServerRemoteDesktop"=dword:00000001

-timotl

Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:12 AM

Officially... WHS does not support that. But with a littke trick you can - sort off.
    From the remote Dashboard you can run "mstsc" and then connect remotely to any computer on your network that supports remote access.

How to run "mstsc"?
    You can use AWIECO's RemoteLauncher AddIn
    or just select settings->Change/Install update. From there type "mstsc" in the address bar :-)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by Kin Hanabishi Friday, April 15, 2011 4:47 PM
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed! I wish they would let you change whether you access dashboard or desktop as a setting though!
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:48 PM