One Care, msconfig, boot loop

Question

• Background:   To see if the One Care Program was preventing an older DOS program from running (after all the compatibility variables were tried) I disabled One Care in the "msconfig" and rebooted and the computer (Dell 8400, WinXPpro,(updated)) is stuck in an endless boot loop giving me only the Dell logo screen.  The F8 advanced options (none of the options take me out of the loop), and the Boot menu and Set Up programs are available, but nothing seems to get me into the operating system; just the loop.

Unless this instance is an exception, I would suggest that One Care issue a caveat to not disable the program in msconfig because this was the only change I made before rebooting.  I did not see any option in the One Care to suspend its functions temporarily which is why msconfig seemed logical.

If anyone else has encountered this problem via the “msconfig” route or any other route and solved it without reinstalling the operating system, please advise...... thanks in advance.

Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:01 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure using msconfig to disable One Care services would cause this. You might try running system restore from the recovery console, instructions here - http://forums.cclonline.com/showthread.php?t=1183  Other than that the only other suggestion I have is to perform a repair installation of Windows.

Monday, August 25, 2008 4:41 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure using msconfig to disable One Care services would cause this. You might try running system restore from the recovery console, instructions here - http://forums.cclonline.com/showthread.php?t=1183  Other than that the only other suggestion I have is to perform a repair installation of Windows.

Monday, August 25, 2008 4:41 AM
  • Thank you for responding, and you are probably correct about the msconfig change; however, that was the last thing done before re-booting and getting the "boot loop".  The remedies are limited, before going further, I need to try and get the HDD data backed up (something I have failed to do regularly), and so far Dell says to take it to Best Buy for that task with the normal no guarantees of success. 

The link you provided is an excellent resource.  The WinXPpro book states reformating the local HDD might be a part of the recovery....  I also found this  "potential" tactic, but sense it is not for the fearful.  I wonder if such drastic steps are necessary IF a system restore from recovery console usually does not lose data.  Sorry it is so long, but

XP Continual Reboot Loop, comments #7-#9        May 2002 re: WinXPHome

http://www.duxcw.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/711

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:46 PM
  • It might be much less expensive to purchase a new hard drive, install Windows, then add your original hard drive as a slave drive and copy your data to the new drive. You can then format the old drive and use it for extra storage.

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:53 PM