none
Services won't start - <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7034</EventID>

Question

• I have 3 services that refuse to stay running longer than a second. I have googled for the solution for quite some time and haven't been able to find a solution that worked...

Windows Server Initialization Service

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" /> 
      <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7034</EventID> 
      <Version>0</Version> 
      <Level>2</Level> 
      <Task>0</Task> 
      <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
      <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords> 
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-16T09:13:00.829619100Z" /> 
      <EventRecordID>43599</EventRecordID> 
      <Correlation /> 
      <Execution ProcessID="524" ThreadID="6020" /> 
      <Channel>System</Channel> 
      <Computer>JT-Server</Computer> 
      <Security /> 
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="param1">Windows Server Initialization Service</Data> 
      <Data Name="param2">3</Data> 
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Windows Server Identity Management Service

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> - <System> <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" /> <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7034</EventID> <Version>0</Version> <Level>2</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Opcode>0</Opcode> <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-16T09:13:00.829619100Z" /> <EventRecordID>43598</EventRecordID> <Correlation /> <Execution ProcessID="524" ThreadID="6020" /> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>JT-Server</Computer> <Security /> </System> - <EventData> <Data Name="param1">Windows Server Identity Management Service</Data> <Data Name="param2">3</Data> </EventData> </Event>

Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" /> 
      <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7034</EventID> 
      <Version>0</Version> 
      <Level>2</Level> 
      <Task>0</Task> 
      <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
      <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords> 
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-16T09:13:00.829619100Z" /> 
      <EventRecordID>43597</EventRecordID> 
      <Correlation /> 
      <Execution ProcessID="524" ThreadID="6020" /> 
      <Channel>System</Channel> 
      <Computer>JT-Server</Computer> 
      <Security /> 
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data Name="param1">Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service</Data> 
      <Data Name="param2">3</Data> 
      </EventData>
      </Event>

Side effects include;

• No users being listed in the Dashboard
    • Adding any users in the Dashboard gives the error titled 'There was a problem adding the user account' with the message 'Cannot create the user account. Please restart the Add a User Account Wizard, and then try again.'
    • Cannot log in via remote web with any user account (including Administrator which has been prevented from doing so for security reasons)

Help?

JoBrittain

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:02 AM

All replies

• Similar issue for me. Is the backup service running? For me the other two (ie addin's and identity services) would crash if I attempted to run either the backup service or the initialization service (which actually just tries to start the appropriate services, including the backup service). In the end, I found out the backup service was crashing those services because the backup catalog was corrupted. I had to delete the catalog and reconfig the backups. Ultimately, the backup catalog was getting corrupted due to a failing hard drive. Here's where we talked about the issue http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/a2f63401-0c14-4a24-9176-29b33f07b04f.

P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it.

Friday, February 17, 2012 3:40 AM
  • I've seen that thread, I've tried that, but the problem still isn't resolved. I simply can't get the services to stay running for more than a second. The funny thing is, I can start the backup service just fine, it runs quite happily without crashing, but the other three I mentioned just won't stay.
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:29 AM
  • Hi, joBrittain

Windows Server Initialization Service is used to start all Windows Server services and it will be stopped after success or failed in several tried.

I guess there should be something wrong with your Identity service, or Addin service or server backup service. So, please check
    1. Have you installed some 3rd party add-in?

2. How about the server backup feature? Can you view start the server backup manually from dashboard? Can you view the server backup history?

3. Please install the latest Updates. There are some known issues of server backup, some are fixed in UR2 which is just released and some will be fixed in future release. But you can refer the wiki to execute the workaround mannually. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6828.server-backup-service-exception.aspx

If it is not your case, I recommend you open a connect bug to provide more info for us to investigate.

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx

Please follow the instructions there and use a tool named log collector to get the logs.

Best Regards,

Junyong

Saturday, February 25, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I've tried them all with little success.

But riddle me this, how am I supposed to install the log collector add-on if the Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service isn't running? (I've tried and all I get is an error message)

I'm beginning to think that a re-install may be the only way to fix this...

Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:08 PM
  • Ops. Sorry for missed it.

JoBrittain, you can try following and post some logs. Hope I can find some clues beneath them.

1. Start the one of the 3 stopped services. Wait for several minutes, and refresh. If the service is stopped again. It means this service crash.

2. Go to the folder under %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs

3. Open the file SharedServiceHost-SystemServiceConfig.log.

4. Go to the end of this file. There should be some exception info with time stamp such as [6768] 120301.192521.4419. Please check the exception time is within the time interval when the service is stopped.

5. Please post the exception log here.

Best Regards,
    Junyong

Monday, March 05, 2012 5:52 AM
  • I'm having an identical problem. The trouble began after a power outage (UPS now ordered) and results in "This list contains no items" in teh User tab in the WHS control panel and an error if I try to add any. All other tabs are behaving and I do seem to be able to run backups manually.

The following services are set to automatic start, but were not showing as started:

• Windows Server Initialization Service
    • Windows Server Identity Management Service
    • Windows Server Addins Infrastructure Service
    • Windows Server Server Backup Service

I was able to manually start the 1st and 3rd successfully (provided I got the order correct).

Windows Server Identity Management Service would attempt to start, but would stay in a "Starting" status indefinitely.

Running the Backup service caused the other 3 to stop, though it would then be started. Once the Backup Service was started I was then able to resart the other 3 services, but Windows Server Identity Management Service would once again become stuck with a "Starting" status.

The SharedServiceHost-SystemServiceConfig.log seems to have stopped being updated on the 9th February, having reached 10,240KB in size.

A second log file, SharedServiceHost-SystemServiceConfig.2.log, exists (size 8,057KB) and is up to date.

The last few lines of the log read:

[2452] 120606.213304.6262: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : Binding: [net.tcp]
    [2452] 120606.213304.6262: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : Identifier: [Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.SqmProvider]
    [2452] 120606.213304.6262: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderEndpointBehavior.AllowedConnectionType: [AllowLocalAccessOnly]
    [2452] 120606.213304.6262: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : ProviderEndpointBehavior.EndpointCredentialType: [User]
    [2452] 120606.213304.6262: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : RequiredImpersonationLevel: [Identification]
    [2452] 120606.213304.6262: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : Creating service/proxy endpoint for Contract [ISqmProviderService], binding = [CustomBinding], EndpointAddress = [net.tcp://127.0.0.1:65532/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.SqmProvider/Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.SqmProvider.Services.ISqmProviderService], AllowedConnectionType = [AllowLocalAccessOnly], EndpointCredentialType = [User]
    [2452] 120606.213304.6262: ProviderFramework: Information: [0] : factory impersonation level is: [Identification]
    [2452] 120606.213304.6574: IDENTITY: _GetTheCurrentMachineCount start
    [2452] 120606.213304.6574: IDENTITY: EnsureStarted for certsvc
    [2452] 120606.213304.6731: IDENTITY: Waiting finish
    [2452] 120606.213304.7356: IDENTITY: Init UnExpected Exception ErrorCode:0
    BaseException: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Certificates.CertificatesException: EnsureCertsrvIsReady error because the CertSVC is not ready

Server stack trace: 
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Certificates.CertManaged.EnsureCertsrvIsReady()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity.Internal.MachineIdentityCore._GetTheCurrentMachineCount()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity.Internal.MachineIdentityCore._Init()
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       at System.Func`1.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity.Internal.MachineIdentityCore._InitDone(IAsyncResult ar)
    [2452] 120606.213304.7356: SharedServiceHost: Critical: [0] : _UnhandledExceptionHappened: SharedServiceHost.exe encountered an error (0x80131500): ErrorCode:0
    BaseException: Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Certificates.CertificatesException: EnsureCertsrvIsReady error because the CertSVC is not ready

Server stack trace: 
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Certificates.CertManaged.EnsureCertsrvIsReady()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity.Internal.MachineIdentityCore._GetTheCurrentMachineCount()
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity.Internal.MachineIdentityCore._Init()
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvokeHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invoke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
       at System.Func`1.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Devices.Identity.Internal.MachineIdentityCore._InitDone(IAsyncResult ar)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.AsyncResult.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
       at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

I can post the whole log if that helps, but it is rather a lot of lines...

Please advise what options I have to get the system back up and running.

Simon

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Was this issue ever resolved??

I'm having the same problem.

the 3 services won't start.  And the wiki workaround proposed in the link Junyong provided isn't working for me.  Mainly because the last step "Go through the backup wizard to configure ..." won't work if

SOOOO wish I'd just stayed with WHS v1

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:54 PM
  • Just as an FYI...I figured out what *my* problem was:

It turns out, an external drive I'd had plugged in temporarily, had been assigned (from another machine) the same exact drive letter as my backup volume.  I unplugged the drive, and viola...all my backup issues cleared up.

Weird that WHS wouldn't realize the drive i just connected has a drive letter conflict, and assign it a new letter...but hey.  What do I know?

Monday, March 18, 2013 9:41 PM