none
What SQL Server version should I use?

Question

• I'm planning an application that must work on a Surface 8 Pro with minimal resources.

The application's data will be synchronized with SQL Server 2008 R2 using Sync Framework.

It seems that the optimal soution should include and embedded database on the client side.

I've read SQL Server Compact 4 Books Online and I know I can only use SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 with Sync Framework.

My questions are:

- Should I use SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2? If so, how long will Microsoft support this version?

- Are there any third party library for using SQL Server Compact 4 with Sync Framework?

- Should I use another SQL Server edition/version?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by jjsaez Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, March 06, 2013 4:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• are you building a WinRT app or just a regular Desktop app?
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 12:05 AM
  • I'm building a regular Desktop application.

This application needs to synchronize one way from a central SQL Server 2008 R2.

It seems obvious that the best solution would be to use SQL Server Compact.

My fear is that Microsoft does not support Sync Framework on SQL Server Compact 4.

I know I can use SQLite but I would use Microsoft technologies from end to end.

What's your advice?

Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:54 AM
  • SQL Compact 4 is not officially supported.

but you can make it work, see: http://jtabadero.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/sync-framework-and-sql-compact-4-yes-you-can/

or you can use SQL Express or SQL Express LocalDB.

You can't actually use SQLLite as their is no out-of-the-box provider for it. Not unless you want to use the Sync Framework Toolkit and write a provider for it.

• Marked as answer by jjsaez Thursday, March 07, 2013 10:15 AM
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:49 AM