Live OneCare wants to renew 30 days early

Question

• I'm wondering just what is up with OneCare. It recently popped off wanting me to renew my subscription a month early, and my subscription doesn't expire until July 25TH. Far as I'm concerned there is no need to do this, until a couple weeks before the subscription expires.

As of yet, I haven't renewed using the product key I have from a retail box that was bought earlier this year, rather cheap I might add, and I'm curious as to why Live OneCare would pop off and want me to renew a month early.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:41 PM

Answers

•  

Its just reminding you that your subscription is about to expire

You're still protected till your subscription expiration date

like what the say, Better Safe that sorry!!!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:02 PM

All replies

•  

Its just reminding you that your subscription is about to expire

You're still protected till your subscription expiration date

like what the say, Better Safe that sorry!!!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:02 PM
  • I just encountered that myself. It went yellow 30 days before expiration, which I do think is a bit early to go yellow, though I would have expected some warnings at startup, perhaps.

In any event, since you have a retail key, using it to renew at any time after the initial subscription is started, as long as there are less than 12 months in the subscription, extends your subscription. The renewal still takes effect at the old expiration date. Simply sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com, select the OneCare subscription and select the option to renew with a retail key/PIN/token.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:21 AM
  • I'm going to be renewing my subscription pretty fast then.

I'll even be watching the sales at OfficeMax and Staples, one of the two where I live puts Live OneCare on sale for $20.00 quite often, and I plan on buying another copy, for next years renewal.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 1:48 AM
  • If you find it cheap at retail and pick up an extra copy for the next renewal, remember that you can renew with a retail key as long as there are less than 12 months left to your subscription. So, after you renew "early" for next year, and the new 12 month subscription takes effect, you can go back and renew again with another key to extend the renewal data out to just shy of 2 years. :-)

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:25 AM
  • I renewed using the key from the last retail copy I bought months ago, and Live OneCare is now showing my subscription as expiring on July 24TH, 2009.

I'm good to go now.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:32 AM
  • My subscription says that they are not renewing subscriptions

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Jargeo;

You're replying to a post almost two years old.  OneCare Live is now at end of life.  You need to review this page:

Windows Live OneCare End of Life Guidance

Regards, Dave
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:35 PM