none
Sign in with a Windows Live ID Offline/Down?

Question

• Trying to sign in for account updates in MS Money 2007 H & B.  Since 11/14, I've received an error saying that my sign in attempt was unsuccessful.  Is this the beginning of the end?

So this is how it ends?  Going...into...the...light.  It...doesn't...hurt...anymore.

Friday, November 19, 2010 3:07 PM

All replies

• I think this may be that you are not connectionf  for a LiveID on your file. I suggest you remove your LiveID from the file. Account information from Yodlee via MSN Money is not available now.

To remove the LiveID for Money 2007, in
    Tools->Settings->ReceiveAccountUpdatesFromMSNMoney set it  to not
    receive those updates.

Then, in File->PasswordManager remove your LiveID.

Download and save your Sunset version for later reinstalls.

Friday, November 19, 2010 4:45 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  Been trying for days to sign in using my Live ID but it says it was unsuccessful.  I know services are going away on Jan 31, 11 but they should still be supporting this until then...

Mike | http://mikecel79.wordpress.com
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Same issue here for the exact same time period (since 11/16/10).  Windows Live ID username and password connect just fine when used outside of Money.  This is definitely not a local problem because I've tried the following to determine that:

Same error message is received when using three different Money installations on three different PCs (one using XP and two running Windows 7) and also when using a six month old archived .mny file.  Definitely not a software or file corruption issue or anything unique to settings on one machine.   This is definitely something that has developed on the server side.  Come on Microsoft, you owe us a couple more months before we have to abandon you!

Tim Hedrick "If at first you do not succeed, destroy all evidence of the attempt"
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:44 PM
  • Do you anticipate a downside to removing your LiveID from Money now? Unless you use Ultrasoft Money, I don't know of a downside.

Since the Yodlee downloading to MSN has stopped, I don't see a real upside to keeping a LiveID on your file.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 4:25 PM
  • This is just one more reason why I am switching over to Apple after the semester is over . . .
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Thank you. That seemed to work for me (my brokerage accounts update again). Except I couldn't do step 1, because Money wanted me to sign-in to do that. But step 2 seemed to suffice.
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:06 AM
  • Same here.  Step 1 failed because it couldn't connect to windows live, but step 2 allowed me to get updates again on my accounts.  Thanks.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 10:50 PM
  • By the way, I suppose this is a stupid question, but here goes: Cal, when online updates stop is it the case that I will not be able to update my brokerage accounts, even tho they provide that service? In other words, will this fix (removing the LiveID) only work for a couple of months?
    Monday, November 29, 2010 5:01 PM
  • when online updates stop is it the case that I will not be able to update my brokerage accounts, even tho they provide that service? In other words, will this fix (removing the LiveID) only work for a couple of months?

Quotes from Microsoft servers and certain other data to the portfolio will go away for everybody.

I expect direct OFX updates to work for those FIs that are already set up until the expiration date for those versions with expiration dates -- which may only be  Money Plus. I am not sure about Money 2007. For those without hard expiration dates, which may be all versions except Money Plus, I anticipate that downloads will continue indefinitely as long as the OFX servers are maintained without having setup changes.

For those accounts that stop working, the transactions and quotes can be fetched with the PocketSense scripts.

There was no disadvantage that I know of in removing the live ID, other than its effect as a password. A conventional password can replace some of that effect, althought I think that may be crackable. For uncrackable security, put your Money data files into a virtual drive set up by a strong program such as TrueCrypt or PGPdisk.

Monday, November 29, 2010 5:23 PM
  • In the first step, "Tools->Settings->ReceiveAccountUpdatesFromMSNMoney set it  to not
    receive those updates.", my version of 2007 Deluxe is asking me to sign in with my Windows Live ID.  Catch 22?  Getting rid of the password seems to have solved the update problem though, thanks.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:00 PM
  • I think this may be that you are not connectionf  for a LiveID on your file. I suggest you remove your LiveID from the file. Account information from Yodlee via MSN Money is not available now.

To remove the LiveID for Money 2007, in
    Tools->Settings->ReceiveAccountUpdatesFromMSNMoney set it  to not
    receive those updates.

Then, in File->PasswordManager remove your LiveID.

Download and save your Sunset version for later reinstalls.

I have been using Microsoft Money Plus 2007 exclusively offline for over a year. Yesterday the computer crashed, and when I rebooted, Money will no longer recognize my password. It instructs me to try signing in offline but I do not see that option anywhere on the screen or menus. I do not have "Password Manager" on my File menu (it just lists New, Open, Convert Quicken File, Restore Backup, and Close). Nor do I have a Tools menu visible.  I would LOVE to disable the Live ID, but I don't see what else I can do. It would be great to not have to restore a back up file, but it looks like I can do that if I have to... any advice on how to get rid of my Live ID without the things you listed above?
    • Edited by Kim Klecan Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:15 PM
    Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:14 PM
  • I have been using Microsoft Money Plus 2007 exclusively offline for over a year. Yesterday the computer crashed, and when I rebooted, Money will no longer recognize my password. It instructs me to try signing in offline but I do not see that option anywhere on the screen or menus. I do not have "Password Manager" on my File menu (it just lists New, Open, Convert Quicken File, Restore Backup, and Close). Nor do I have a Tools menu visible.  I would LOVE to disable the Live ID, but I don't see what else I can do. It would be great to not have to restore a back up file, but it looks like I can do that if I have to... any advice on how to get rid of my Live ID without the things you listed above?

Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, Click below the
    password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." then click Next.

Remove your LiveID.  Do not attempt to change your LiveID.  If you
    already changed your LiveID, use the credentials that were in
    effect at the time that you saved that Money file.

To remove the Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to
    remove your LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also
    see File->PasswordManager.

I hope your backup files are not so old. If so, restoring a Money  backup is an easy solution.

If you have a recent backup (*.mbf file), I would File->Restore
    that file.  Alternatively, open Money by right-clicking the *.mbf
    file, and choosing Open.  You can choose to overwrite the problem
    file by restoring to the "default location, or you can Browse to
    your Documents folder, and choose a new name that will not
    overwrite the existing file.  If your newest backup file has a
    problem, then use a slightly earlier backup file.

Otherwise, you could try making a repaired version of your file by
    doing a File->Repair->StandardRepair, level 2, on your *.mny file.

Wednesday, February 01, 2012 5:18 PM

• Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, Click below the
    password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." then click Next.

Thank you for still being out there!

Unfortunately, this does not help me. The computer that has MS Money on it is not and has not been connected to the internet for quite some time. When I start Money, I do not have an option that says "I want to sign in to Money directly" anywhere on the screen.
    I do think my back up is not too old, but I'd rather not have to find out. If you say it's the only way, I'll do it. But I'm wondering where the "login in offline" option is, and/or why I cannot seem to find it! Any other ideas?

Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Otherwise, you could try making a repaired version of your file by doing a File->Repair->StandardRepair, level 2, on your *.mny file.
    Thursday, February 02, 2012 2:38 AM
  • Otherwise, you could try making a repaired version of your file by doing a File->Repair->StandardRepair, level 2, on your *.mny file.

Alas, when I open Money, my file menu still lists only the following options:

New, Open, Convert Quicken File, Restore Backup, and Close

Interestingly enough, the Help box in the program does tell me to try these same things you are suggesting, and yet I have neither option. Here's what I see:

Thursday, February 02, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Thanks for the picture. It tells various things. There is not even a Help showing.

You can access the repair program as salv.exe from your Money install folder.

Close Money. In a command window, run these two commands (which assumes you took the default install location for your Money 2007 installation):

cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2007\MNYCoreFiles"

salv

Include the quotes. Alternatively you could use Internet Explorer to get there and run salv.exe, but note that MNYCoreFiles is a hidden folder.

Then Browse to your My Money.mny file as the Repair file.

For the SaveAs file, Browse to your Documents folder and choose a new name for the repaired file, such as kim07.mny. Do a level 2 repair. If things are successful, open Money by double-clicking on kim07.mny.

If you want to try a restore, note that you would want to choose a new name for the restored file, rather than using the remembered name. That way, you would not overwrite My Money.mny, which you may not be willing to give up on.

Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:50 PM
  • Okay. We tried and were able to access the repair program as you instructed, and found the file that I last accessed on 1/30/12, the one I was trying to reopen. However, when we ran the repair it said the file could not be repaired. (I didn't write down the actual wording.)

We were, however, able to restore a back up from 1-2 months ago with your advice. Everything looks fine with the backup, and I have back all my menus now.  (The File menu looks huge now!) I guess when the computer crashed it messed up the program as well as the file.

So, thank you for your advice. I'm glad to know that I have the original file (from 1/30) still untouched, so if I ever figure out how to repair it, it's not written over.

-Kim
    Friday, February 03, 2012 2:46 AM
  • It was worth a try. I suspect that you will revise your backup policy. If you want some suggestions along that line, I would be glad to suggest some. Money 2007 can keep multiple backups for you, and you probably have a lot of space on your hard drive. Also back up to other media periodically, in case your hard drive fails.

I hope you were able to bring in most of the missing transactions via downloads.

Friday, February 03, 2012 8:25 AM
  • It is set up to backup onto our SD card each time we close the program. I guess I'll learn to close it down between uses more often.

I haven't been downloading transactions, I've been typing them in. But I have most of the receipts still, so I think I'll be okay. It's probably time to upgrade to something that can work online (and on a computer that doesn't have issues with crashing).

But again, thank you VERY much for your time and advice.

Monday, February 06, 2012 3:37 PM