none
Office 2003 and Win7 Home Premium

Question

• I have a desktop and a laptop, both running Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I have MS Office 2003, originally on an XP machine, installed and running on both. The laptop came with a free upgrade to Win 7 Home Premium and I would like to try it but, in reading the specs for 7Home Premium, it appears that my Office 2003 won't run unless I buy and install Win 7 Pro. Does anyone know if that is so? Thanks
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 4:45 PM

Answers

• Microsoft Office 2003 is compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.  You can install it on a computer running Windows 7 Home Premium...no need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional.

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:45 PM

All replies

• Microsoft Office 2003 is compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP.  You can install it on a computer running Windows 7 Home Premium...no need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional.

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:45 PM
  • Thanks. The verson comparison chart for Win 7 led me to ask the question. It seems to imply that Win 7 Pro or Ultimate is required for XP era productivity software.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:44 AM
  • Hi Sport98,

I believe the comparison chart you looked at was refering to software that is only compatible with XP.  Win 7 Pro and Ultimate have a virtual copy of XP running that allows software that is only compatible with XP to run in Windows 7.

as far as I have seen, Office 2003 and Office XP are both compatible with Vista and Windows 7.

Thank you,
    Darin MS 
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MSOwner Monday, October 26, 2009 5:17 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sport98 Monday, October 26, 2009 9:31 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Sport98 -I migrated 8 computers to Windows 7 and purchased two new notebooks with Win7 professional... have installed Office 2003 on all computers.  After three weeks of chasing problems (crashing Excel on printing, constant failures to respond in Outlook, Word and publisher, lost work and time, we have concluded that MS Office 2003 is not compatable with Windows 7.  In fact most of our pre 2004 software causes non-stop workaround issues.  Despite MS persistent claims that 2003 is compatible, we have decided to stop converting XP machines to W7 until Microsoft has finished this work in progress. Office 2007 seems to run okay in W7, but the new interface and changes in user conventions have caused some pain.... MS seems a little lost right now. 
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 7:30 AM
  • Sport98 -I migrated 8 computers to Windows 7 and purchased two new notebooks with Win7 professional... have installed Office 2003 on all computers.  After three weeks of chasing problems (crashing Excel on printing, constant failures to respond in Outlook, Word and publisher, lost work and time, we have concluded that MS Office 2003 is not compatable with Windows 7.  In fact most of our pre 2004 software causes non-stop workaround issues.  Despite MS persistent claims that 2003 is compatible, we have decided to stop converting XP machines to W7 until Microsoft has finished this work in progress. Office 2007 seems to run okay in W7, but the new interface and changes in user conventions have caused some pain.... MS seems a little lost right now. 

I have had a similar experience: I upgraded from Windows XP (which was great) to Windows 7 (home 64 bit), love Office 2003, can't adjust to the new Office interface (I’m one of those obsessive compulsive highly personalized ultra-efficient tool bar people, so not the kind of user the new interface is designed to serve). In my experience, Office 2003 causes Windows 7 to run unbearably slowly (often 2-3 seconds from click to action when Office 2003 documents are open). I've tried every troubleshooting idea I can find online. I thought perhaps the Windows XP mode in Windows 7 premium might be the answer, but from what Sport98 says, it sounds like I should look for another solution. The way I see it, Office 2003 is not compatible with Windows 7. Suggestions most welcome.

Saturday, May 01, 2010 6:13 PM
  • I agree with the last few posts. My company just replaced our old Dell laptops running XP with brand new powerhouses running 64bit Windows 7 Enterprise. We are all experiencing major usability issues across all Windows 2003 apps that were not upgraded.
    Monday, August 16, 2010 2:49 PM