Agent.exe

Question

• My computer fan is running a lot, which suggests that some processes are using too much CPU time.  So I opened Task Manager to see what was running, and I noticed that Agent.exe is running on 'Hazel', a user not logged on, and 'Rachel', a user that IS logged on, but not 'Owner', me!   Agent.exe resides in C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService, and described in its version properties sheet as "InstallShield Update Service Agent v. 5.1.100.47363" by Macrovision Corp.  I've read that this executable may have been corrupted with malware.  When I end the processes through Task Manager on each of the 2 users, Agent.exe starts up immediately again.  Is there a way I can control Agent.exe to run just when I allow it to - through Windows Live OneCare?
    Sunday, March 02, 2008 3:46 AM

Answers

• Dan,

I think first I'd just try to understand what the InstallShield Update Service Agent is and maybe uninstall it to see if that stops the issue. The following link even includes information about the Update Manager and how to both uninstall and re-install the Update Agent.

http://consumer.installshield.com/faqs_us.asp

OneCareBear

Sunday, March 02, 2008 5:27 AM

All replies

• Dan,

I think first I'd just try to understand what the InstallShield Update Service Agent is and maybe uninstall it to see if that stops the issue. The following link even includes information about the Update Manager and how to both uninstall and re-install the Update Agent.

http://consumer.installshield.com/faqs_us.asp

OneCareBear

Sunday, March 02, 2008 5:27 AM
  • Dear OneCareBear,
    I followed the steps in the link you gave to uninstall the InstallShield Update Service Agent.  Once I restarted Windows after the uninstall was completed, Agent.exe no longer appears as an active process.  I assume that a modern uncorrupted version
    of this program will be reinstalled automatically when next it is needed.

By the way,I did find the location within Live OneCare that enables me to allow or block a certain program from running.
    1. Click on the Live OneCare icon in the system tray to launch its window. 
    2. Click on "Change Settings."
    3. At the 'Firewall" tab, click "Advanced settings" button. 
    4. A list of programs that Live OneCare will allow or block appears in the Windows Live OneCare Firewall Advanced Settings dialog box. 
    5. If I Click on a particular "Program Name," then click on the "Edit" button, an "Edit Program Restrictions" dialog box appears which gives lots of information about the program selected:
    • Name,
    • Version,
    • Location,
    • Publisher,
    • Company.
    This information is enough to help decide whether to adjust access or leave alone. 

I notice that when I clicked on the "Apply" button, apparently Live OneCare verifies the existence of each program, and will remove it from the list if the underlying program has been uninstalled.  You would think this housekeeping chore would be an automatic part of the Live OneCare's TuneUp process.  

Dan 
    Sunday, March 02, 2008 6:07 PM