none
Dynamics CRM 2011 client installation MAPI problem

Question

• Hi All

I run into a problem during Dynamics CRM 2011 for Outlook installation.  The installations are spread over several AD domains and regions.

During the installaion, the MS installion routine checks for the MAPI path (see following extract).

== crm50clientmsi.log ==============================================================

Action start 16:11:52: EditMapiPath.
    CAPACK: CAPack::InvokeManagedCustomAction(Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client!Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client.ClientSetup.EditMapiPath)
    CAPACK: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI1F5B.tmp-\
    CAPACK: Binding to CLR version v4.0.30319
    CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client!Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client.ClientSetup.EditMapiPath)
    Calling custom action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client!Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client.ClientSetup.EditMapiPath
    Method start 16:11:52: EditMapiPath
    Method start 16:11:52: MapiDirSetter
    16:11:52: Get mapi directory from session property MAPISVCFILE : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\".
    Method ended 16:11:52: MapiDirSetter. Return value 0
    16:11:52: Set the mapi path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\" to session property MAPI32DIR.

=====================================================================

I don't know how this MAPI path is discovered during the installation process.  But for some reason, the result is different for some clients.  I will try to provide more details in the following description.

Client A: Windows 7 (64bit, English), Office 2007 (32bit, English, additional German language pack), regional setting de-DE, directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI contains 2 subfolders (1031=de-DE, 1033=en-US)

Client B: Windows 7 (64bit, English), Office 2007 (32bit, English, additional German language pack), regional setting de-CH, directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI contains 3 subfolders (1031=de-DE, 1033=en-US, 2055=de-CH)

The installation is done on bot clients using the local administrator account.  On Client A the mapi path is set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1031\" while on Client B the mapi path gets set to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\".

However, the installation itself works just fine.  Problem starts after real user with crm permission logs on to the client. Users users on both clients types (A and B) have configured Office to use German language.  While CRM configuration is running well on client type A it fails con clients type B.  It fails because the configuration wizard is looking for the mapisvc.inf file in directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1031\" (Outllok is set to German language) but the information got written to mapisvc.inf file in directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033\".  After copying the CRM related information to the mapisvc.inf file in directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1031\" configuration wizrad works like a charm.

There are around 1000 clients all over the world with around 1/3 having the problem described above (different languages are involved).  I can't fix those manually but have to solve the root cause.

Could anyboby tell me how this mapi path detection during installion works? This could really help to solve the problem.

There are a few clients as well having more than 1 Office language pack installed.  the CRM info gets written to just one mapisvc.inf file.  Is this the behaviour it should be?  Or should it be set for all installed languages so CRM could get configured whatever Office language is active?

Thnaks for your help.

Stefan

Friday, July 12, 2013 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Possibly the reason for the client looking for the 1033 is because you are installing an English version? try downloading the German package it should look for the 1031 path.

Hope this helps

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:20 AM
  • Hi Nrodri

Thanks for your reply.

Tried this already, but unfortunatelly that doesn't change anything.  It still writes to mapisvc.inf in 1033 path.  But somehow this was expected.  I could install several additional language packs, but none of it makes any changes to any mapisvc.inf file in any directory.  The software itself is for all regional versions the same, they differ only by the language pack initially included.

And on the other hand, installing the english version on a de-DE localized computer writes to the mapisvc.inf file in 1031 path.  So there must be something else triggering the mapisvc.inf path.

Regards

Stefan

• Edited by StefGil Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:38 AM typing errors corrected
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:31 AM
  • okay. It see that you have the OFFICE English version with the DE language pack installed on top. Perhaps something related with default language settings selected on each users computer, since it is happening randomly for some looks at 1033 (English) and others 1031 (German)

Visit my blog for CRM material, improving performance, kerberos, IFD, development tips, etc. :) http://quantusdynamics.blogspot.com

• Edited by nrodriEditor Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:38 AM amend text
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:38 AM
  • It definitly has something to do with language and/or localizing setting.  But it is not randomly at all.  We are supporting several locations world wide.  There are some locations not even one client fails and other ones all clients fail.  THe example above with regional settins de-CH and de-DE is just one example.  There are other ones with analog behaviour, e.g. fr-FR works while fr-CH fails.  We got the same problem in Japan (ja, 1041).  We also had the problem for some very special users which had a third language installed not even close to the

Below are some combinations for de-DE and de-CH and their results.

1) OS language English, OS regional setting de-CH, Office English, Office German MUI installed/inactive  -> mapisvc.inf in path 1033

2) OS language English, OS regional setting de-DE, Office English, Office Gemran MUI installed/inactive -> mapisvc.inf in path 1031

3) OS language English, OS regional setting de-CH, Office English, Office German MUI installed/active -> mapisvc.inf in path 1031

4) OS language English, OS regional setting de-DE, Office English, Office German MUI installed/active -> mapisvc.inf in path 1031

on etest I did, I took a coputer with standard installation in Switzerlan with de-CH localization and Office MUI german installed(inactive).  Installation of CRM for Outlook edited the mapisvc.inf file in 1033 path.  As shown in the example above, I could either switch the Office language to german or change the system local to de-DE.  After this change installing CRM for Outlook changed the mapisvc.inf in 1031 path.

based on the information above, you see that the behaviour is predictable and not random.  But even being predictable I don't know how to control it.  Think about using a software distribution system with specific installation account.  During installation, it's not possible to asume what language will the used by the user running (configuring) crm.  One solution could be to write it to the OS system language path all the time and force the configuration to chech this location.  An other one could be to get arroung this language specific behaviour at all.  Ther may be other ones but I don't know the possibilities nor how to do it.

• Edited by StefGil Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:36 AM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:35 AM