none
Network adapter not showing up

Question

• I am using a abit nv8 motherboard with a onboard network adapter.  I was able to install the nforce4 drivers fine, and check to see if I had network access.  Nope.  So I check to see what my network adapter is doing, except windows doesn't show it as being there.  So I check Device Manager to see if the drivers are installed, but the adapter doesn't show up anywhere.  I've tried using the latest version(both the win2k/xp and the win 2003 versions) of the nforce4 drivers, both from Abit and nvidia's sites, to no avail.  Taking a cue from someone else whose nforce4 network adapter wasn't showing, I tried using older versions of drivers, but nothing.  I know the adapter is fine(was just using it on xp).  

On another note, I tried popping in an old, still functional, FA311 Rev-A1 Netgear card.  This card shows up in the Device Manager and would seem to work properly, if only I could find drivers that work with WHS.  The only drivers I could find for this card only supports compatibility up to win2k. 

If someone could help me with 1 of my 2 problems, I will not only give you a virtual fist bump, I will give virtual fist bumps to everyone !
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 2:13 AM

All replies

• First place to look when an onboard device isn't showing is the bios. Enter the bios and look through the options for networking and make sure it's enabled.
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Full on enabled in bios.  From searching around on the web, it seems like other people seem to have the same problem as I did with the ethernet not showing up and drivers not working for the nforce4.  Just, no one seems to say what they fixed =[
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Full on enabled in bios.  From searching around on the web, it seems like other people seem to have the same problem as I did with the ethernet not showing up and drivers not working for the nforce4.  Just, no one seems to say what they fixed =[

To clarify:  are you saying the NIC doesn't work (meaning it's in Device Manager, but with an exclamation point/question mark)?  Or are you saying it doesn't show up in Device Manager at all?  If it's not in DM at all, I would think there is a problem with the NIC (mobo) itself.
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 4:03 PM
  • If you can't get the onboard nic working i would invest in a newer nic. It would be more cost effective time than trying to get an old fa311 working with WHS.

This is an example from ebay UK and it has 2003 drivers: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Realtek-Ethernet-Gigabit-LAN-PCI-Card-10-100-1000-RJ45_W0QQitemZ290319036167QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_NetworkCards_RL?hash=item43985cef07&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A2108%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

If you want to stay 10/100 and are willing to spend a bit more then there are quite a few 2nd user intel por cards around, which are really stable and have good driver support.
    Saturday, June 06, 2009 8:45 PM
  • To clarify:  are you saying the NIC doesn't work (meaning it's in Device Manager, but with an exclamation point/question mark)?  Or are you saying it doesn't show up in Device Manager at all?  If it's not in DM at all, I would think there is a problem with the NIC (mobo) itself.

Its not in device manager at all.   I thought the nic went bad too, but I swapped in a XP harddrive and the nic showed up fine =\  I'm at a loss as to why WHS hates my nic.

@Tom Steed:

I'm really poor right now ;)  The idea was to cobble together a bunch of old parts, slap WHS trial on it, give it to my parents, and if they like it, they could buy WHS for themselves.  At the moment, I'm thinking about just slapping on some linux and giving that a go.

Sunday, June 07, 2009 2:07 AM
  • Long shot but you can try this, open a command prompt, type in set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and enter then type start devmgmt.msc and enter.
    The device manger should open, click on the view menu and select show hidden devices. then expand the network adapters and see what's listed. Maybe the nic will show up, if it does delete all entries for it. Then right click on network adapters and select scan for new hardware.
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:34 AM