none
Microsoft Certification or PMP?

Question

• I am a young manager working in a software company where we believe the world runs on Microsoft. I plan on getting more certification for the profession I already do but at the same time I find myself effective in project management working with cross-functional teams. PMP is an internationally respected certification. I am torn between PMP and the next big Microsoft certification.

I am very open-minded about this and would greatly appreciate if you could share websites where you undergo PMP or Microsoft trainings that made you successful. Thank you for your time.

Chad

Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:27 AM

Answers

• Chad,Something to consider,
    PMP requires 4,500 hours of PM experience and 36 non-overlapping months of PM experience. PMP is generally considered a good investment (salary tends to be higher). As for Microsoft certs, even years after their introduction, credentials remain valuable.

I passed my PMP exam just last year..it was my biggest achievement ^__^
    Took my exam preparation online at PMChamp http://www.pmchamp.com , where they stay true to their promise of helping you pass at first attempt. I studied at my own pace for 3 months and became a PMP last October 2011.

Whether you go for PMP or further your Microsoft skills/certification, your certificate will surely open up many more job opportunities to you.

More Power!

David

• Marked as answer by ChadGomez Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:41 AM
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:30 AM

All replies

• Chad,Something to consider,
    PMP requires 4,500 hours of PM experience and 36 non-overlapping months of PM experience. PMP is generally considered a good investment (salary tends to be higher). As for Microsoft certs, even years after their introduction, credentials remain valuable.

I passed my PMP exam just last year..it was my biggest achievement ^__^
    Took my exam preparation online at PMChamp http://www.pmchamp.com , where they stay true to their promise of helping you pass at first attempt. I studied at my own pace for 3 months and became a PMP last October 2011.

Whether you go for PMP or further your Microsoft skills/certification, your certificate will surely open up many more job opportunities to you.

More Power!

David

• Marked as answer by ChadGomez Thursday, March 08, 2012 5:41 AM
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 4:30 AM
  • hey buddy thanks, you're an inspiration

I believe I'm eligible though most of my projects have overlapping schedules, having responsibility for a workstream and sometimes a part of a project where I have lead project tasks.
    I can see positive feedbacks about pmchamp, I will consider it once I've made up my mind.
    With the schedule I have, guess it will take 5 months of concentrated study to not only pass the PMP exam, but also to allow the study materials to "marinate" in my system.

Congratulations on your PMP title!
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Thanks being a PMP has definitely been worth it for me

Do your best!

Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:01 AM
  • wait, Does PMChamp give contact hours certificate?
    Monday, March 12, 2012 3:42 AM
  • Yes they send it to you as a PDF file, 35 contact hrs certificate

best of luck mate

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Im in! you're right its intensive, but it's very comprehensive as well. Thank you David. My exam schedule is set on July.
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Chad have you started studying for the pmp exam?
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Hi David and Tweety, I passed my pmp exam today! It wasn't very easy but I was prepared to take it...Once again David, thanks for your recommendation.

Chad

Monday, August 13, 2012 6:13 AM