none
Dicey about MCTS certification- 4.0 or 4.5

Question

• Hi,

I am working as a Software Engineer in India, with total work Exp of 13 months on .Net. Though i am involved in Asp.Net3.5 and .Net3.5 Window forms from late 2009 which include my college projects and few training projects. Now i am having my hands on WCF 3.5 as part of client projects at work

I am looking for a certification in .Net WCF or .Net Window forms but i am confused whether to go for 3.5 Or 4.0 Or 4.5 :(

As i recently started my work on VS2010, earlier i was working on VS2008. In short i am having very less hand-on on .Net4.0 and NIL on .Net 4.5.

Please suggest, whether going for MCTS .Net 4.5 (After it is launched this year) is good when i am not having thorough experience on .Net 4.0 itself..? And MCTS .Net4.0 retiring in next 6 months has made my decision time very less..

Please guide..

Regards

Rohit 

Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:59 AM

Answers

• Hi Rohit,

I am a developer/trainer with many Microsoft certifications.

One of the first questions that you will need to ask yourself is whether you prefer writing web applications or windows applications. For web applications, the certification picture is a bit easier.  The MCPD credential for Visual Studio 2010 has been replaced with The MCSD for Visual Studio 2012. For the MCSD you will need to pass three exams. Exam 70-480 covers HTML5/JavaScript fundamentals. Exam 70-486 covers MVC web applications and exam 70-487 covers services. Your experience with WCF will help with the 70-487 exam.

If you were building web apps in .NET 3.5 you were most likely using WebForms. The MVC (Model-View-Controller) has become more important in the VS 2010 and VS 2012 web exams. You will want to learn those.

If you are thinking about Windows applications, there are two directions for Visual Studio 2012. You can still create classic Windows applications but there are no certifications around these. Instead, Microsoft is focusing on the Windows Store apps for the certifications. These apps can use WPF (you mention building Windows forms applications but not WPF, these new Windows store apps use WPF or HTML5) so you may struggle.

Please let me know what you are interested in. I can probably point you towards some resources.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

if you're more interested in exams for web applications have a look at the MCSD: Web Applications (which Mike mentioned above). This is the newest certification track for web developers from Microsoft.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Monday, January 07, 2013 10:35 PM
  • Hi Rohit,

Since you want to go for Web Application, then choose MCSD as it is the latest one. Apply for 480 since it is the easy one to start with.

Meanwhile prepare for 486 as well. Few concepts are new in MVC, but if you start with a fresh mind it will be far easy as compared to Web Forms.

Practice Web Services, Remoting, IIS & WAS once you are comfortable go for 487.

Just FYI I am also preparing with this track with 70515 and 70513 also in schedule

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Rohit,

I am a developer/trainer with many Microsoft certifications.

One of the first questions that you will need to ask yourself is whether you prefer writing web applications or windows applications. For web applications, the certification picture is a bit easier.  The MCPD credential for Visual Studio 2010 has been replaced with The MCSD for Visual Studio 2012. For the MCSD you will need to pass three exams. Exam 70-480 covers HTML5/JavaScript fundamentals. Exam 70-486 covers MVC web applications and exam 70-487 covers services. Your experience with WCF will help with the 70-487 exam.

If you were building web apps in .NET 3.5 you were most likely using WebForms. The MVC (Model-View-Controller) has become more important in the VS 2010 and VS 2012 web exams. You will want to learn those.

If you are thinking about Windows applications, there are two directions for Visual Studio 2012. You can still create classic Windows applications but there are no certifications around these. Instead, Microsoft is focusing on the Windows Store apps for the certifications. These apps can use WPF (you mention building Windows forms applications but not WPF, these new Windows store apps use WPF or HTML5) so you may struggle.

Please let me know what you are interested in. I can probably point you towards some resources.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:53 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for a prompt reply.

I am interested more in web applications. Kindly suggest the pathway. 

Friday, January 04, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

if you're more interested in exams for web applications have a look at the MCSD: Web Applications (which Mike mentioned above). This is the newest certification track for web developers from Microsoft.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Monday, January 07, 2013 10:35 PM
  • Hi Rohit,

Since you want to go for Web Application, then choose MCSD as it is the latest one. Apply for 480 since it is the easy one to start with.

Meanwhile prepare for 486 as well. Few concepts are new in MVC, but if you start with a fresh mind it will be far easy as compared to Web Forms.

Practice Web Services, Remoting, IIS & WAS once you are comfortable go for 487.

Just FYI I am also preparing with this track with 70515 and 70513 also in schedule

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 10:51 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for the guidance.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:38 PM