none
SyncToy

    Question

  • Running SyncToy on XP, latest version, all updates in place, Task Man shows no programs running.
    Launched SyncToy right after startup.
    Did a sync on MyDocs and it reported well over 1,000 files with the standard error "being used"
    All kinds of files from images, to visio, exe, zip, doc, however all the ones I checked were in fact synched.
    I only checked a dozen or so.
    This was a "new" pair.
    I see I am not alone with this but surely wish it worked as it often does.
    If it fails to be able to synch My Docs for example it isn't worth much so I hope that large file synchs are not the problem them appear to be.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:50 PM

All replies

  • Yes, it seems you are not the first one met this problem.
    But to me, I could not repro your issue, I am gussing there is some environment issue made this happen.
    Could you dig it more, and share some  more info? While this happen, what the synctoy log says?
    And this happened at your first time run syncToy UI after install it, right?



    Thanks,
    Ping
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:53 AM
  • Thanks Ping,
    Happy to try to dig further.
    So far, all the "errors" were false. They were also quite random.
    I thought that having Windows Explorer or Norton Ghost open (though not running) might be the issue.

    BUT here is my wild assed guess as to what it is.
    I have Google Desktop Search and Windows live search, (and indexing) running. I don't like live search btw, Google desktop is much quicker but it doesn't seem to have a file find ability. Anyway I suspect that they are somehow involved.
    I did turn them both off and it seemed to be much better though not perfect.

    As for when it happens, it continues to happen even I have run a pair a couple of times though it appears to be worse the first time I run a pair.

    However even though it reports them as fails all the ones I have checked have appeared in the destination folder. I did get over 1,000 fails on one run though and I didn't check all them.

    I am running one now though so i can't check the log. Not sure I even know how to find it. Where is it?
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Hi -

    The files that you are checking if they are correct - were you expecting them to be sync'ed - as in did you have any changes made to this file that you were expecting to be sync'ed?


    From the SyncToy FAQ -

    . I want to view information about my previous syncs.

     

    A. Go to SyncToy 2.0 main menu and view "File->View Log". The log will contain summary information about the number of files that were synchronized and the different actions taken.  It will also contain information about any errors that have happened during the sync. By default SyncToy logs information at a level of “Info”. In order to get more detailed information for troubleshooting certain scenarios this logging level can be changed to “Verbose”. To change this – look at the SyncToy.config file in the SyncToy install folder and change the trace level from “Info” to “Verbose”.



    Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:42 PM
    Moderator