none
Windows Home Server 2011 8GB RAM limit?

Answers

• On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 05:39:54 +0000, vaishu6670357 wrote:

I have 16GB on my server but only 8GB RAM is usable. Is there a 8GB max limit?

Yes there is.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Saturday, October 08, 2011 6:55 AM

All replies

• On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 05:39:54 +0000, vaishu6670357 wrote:

I have 16GB on my server but only 8GB RAM is usable. Is there a 8GB max limit?

Yes there is.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Saturday, October 08, 2011 6:55 AM
  • I have just upgraded from 8GB to 16GB as DDR3 is soooo cheap on my home server and discovered this too.  I use VM's as test boxes for personal IT trainning and programming etc.

Bit miffed really, i hope MS raise the limit to 16GB, as cant see any home environment using more than this even with VM's.

My home server 2011 install is more of the swiss army knife of boxes, it does all for me.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:58 AM
  • So the idea would be to install the free Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 standalone version as host system and on top WHS 2011 and the other virtual guest boxes.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:33 PM
  • ... i hope MS raise the limit to 16GB ... 

This is unlikely to happen. Microsoft doesn't intend this product to be a "swiss army knife" (no matter how good they are at making every product into an "80 lb. swiss army knife" :) ) and the hardware limitations are still more than sufficieient for any intended use.

You can, however, submit a product suggestion on Connect, if you like, and/or use Olaf's suggested workaround. The installation of Windows Home Server 2011 in HyperV is, I believe, even a "supported" configuration (though not in the sense that you can call Microsoft for free support, just that your conversation won't consist of "That's an unsupported configuration, kthxbai." <click>).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:43 PM
  • Going back to the idea of using Hyper-V server R2.

I would like to try that for same reason my server is also used for virtualization.

My problems before to implement

•  I understood I need at least a 7 professional to manage Hyper V. Is that true ?
    • Will it be stable: I would like: 3 virtualized machine: WHS 2011, 7 X64 home, Vista X64 professional ?

Regards

Monday, November 07, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

I never used the standalone version, since I have a normal server with HyperV running, but from the documentation it seems, that you would need Windows 7 Professional to manage Hyper-V.

If it runs stable? This depends mainly from the hardware platform and it's drivers, so only experience will shown.´

On a normal Windows Server 2008 R2 I hosted 2 permanently running virtual systems (Server 2003, Windows 7 Guests) without having any issues since approximately a half year.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:35 PM