Create or obtain legal OEM install XP SP2 Home CD

Question

• Appologies if this is in the wrong section as this forum is a bit confusing as to where to place a topic.

Ok, here's the background before I get to the question.

I have a Compaq Presario SR1610NX which came with a restore partition of Windows XP Home SP2 Home edition.  Yes I have created restore discs from that when I first got the computer.  Since then, my original hard drive had corrupted, and I lost the original restore partition.  Also, the original restore discs I created from that partition seem to have a corrupted file which causes undesired operation within Windows.  I have also ordered restore discs (but requested an OEM install disc of windows xp sp2).  Of course Compaq sends the bulky 8 CD restore set which contains all the demo software which takes me 4 or 5 hours to uninstall after a restore.  One other problem, the new restore discs also cause a different undesired operation on a fresh restore. 

Since both restore sets cause problems, and crashing, I refuse to contact compaq on this because they'll just want to send me another restore set.  I've tried to order an OEM install CD directly from Microsoft, but they've denied me that.

My questions are this:

1.  Since I own a legit product key and wish to keep it legit, is there a way to create my own OEM install CD for windows XP sp2 home edition?

2.  If not, how could I possibly obtain the original OEM install CD from either microsoft or compaq and they won't deny me my legal software?

All I want is for my computer to work the way it should with just the operating system it had on it when I bought the system.  Thank you for any help on this.

Regards,

G_Thomas
    • Edited by G_Thomas Sunday, September 07, 2008 4:25 PM found one misspelling
    Sunday, September 07, 2008 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hi G_Thomas,

the main reason why you weren't able to get from Microsoft direct is because OEM discs are only available via System Builder.
    Are you able to request from Compaq for only the install disc ?? rather than the entire set of restore discs with all the demo software?

1.  Since I own a legit product key and wish to keep it legit, is there a way to create my own OEM install CD for windows XP sp2 home edition?
    >> There isn't a way to create a OEM install CD apart from the factory that ships it. In your case, its Compaq. I'm really sorry, but i don't have access to an OEM copy as well, so i couldn't get a copy for you. But someone in the community ever highlighted to that one could do a search via search engines for the following keywords; "Windows XP Home SP2 OEM Iso" and managed to locate a copy. I don't recommend that, but you can try at your own risks. Worry is that we are not sure that those un-verified sources delivers a compromised copy of Windows. To be safe, you might want to ask a friend who may have a copy of the install disk that is not Compaq specific. Someone who customizes his computer from the hardware shop and purchased an OEM disk, that is the disk you need to get (generic and not compaq specific). Obtain a copy and you should be able to use your OEM key on that disc.

2.  If not, how could I possibly obtain the original OEM install CD from either microsoft or compaq and they won't deny me my legal software?
    >> Microsoft no longer sells Windows XP Home any more (if i remember correctly), and such, we are not able to produce any copies of it. You will need to obtain from Compaq, however, you might want to try asking compaq to get you the install disc (from Microsoft), rather then the restore disc (compaq has done some work to customize it with drivers and trial apps).

Hope the replies are of help.
    Dennis Chung | IT Pro Evangelist | Microsoft Singapore
    http://pingdennis.com
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 2:18 AM

All replies

• Hi G_Thomas,

the main reason why you weren't able to get from Microsoft direct is because OEM discs are only available via System Builder.
    Are you able to request from Compaq for only the install disc ?? rather than the entire set of restore discs with all the demo software?

>> There isn't a way to create a OEM install CD apart from the factory that ships it. In your case, its Compaq. I'm really sorry, but i don't have access to an OEM copy as well, so i couldn't get a copy for you. But someone in the community ever highlighted to that one could do a search via search engines for the following keywords; "Windows XP Home SP2 OEM Iso" and managed to locate a copy. I don't recommend that, but you can try at your own risks. Worry is that we are not sure that those un-verified sources delivers a compromised copy of Windows. To be safe, you might want to ask a friend who may have a copy of the install disk that is not Compaq specific. Someone who customizes his computer from the hardware shop and purchased an OEM disk, that is the disk you need to get (generic and not compaq specific). Obtain a copy and you should be able to use your OEM key on that disc.

>> Microsoft no longer sells Windows XP Home any more (if i remember correctly), and such, we are not able to produce any copies of it. You will need to obtain from Compaq, however, you might want to try asking compaq to get you the install disc (from Microsoft), rather then the restore disc (compaq has done some work to customize it with drivers and trial apps).

Hope the replies are of help.
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 2:18 AM
  • Thanks for the reply on this. 

It's good to know that my OEM product key will work on any OEM XP SP2 Home disc.  I'll most likely scour Ebay for one with a certificate of authenticity when I can find one on a good deal.  I hate to spend more money on this since I've already dumped money into factory restore discs from HP/Compaq which fail to work right.  But I really don't like Vista.  Oh well.

Thanks again.

Edit - I've also had a conversation with HP/Compaq yesterday.  They refuse to even attempt to help me get an OEM disc.  So far, I've decided that I'll never buy one of their systems again. :)
    • Edited by G_Thomas Tuesday, September 09, 2008 3:12 AM addition
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 3:09 AM
  • Hi G_Thomas,

Vista isn't as bad as you think. With the right set of hardware, Vista is actually good. It is just a perception that Vista is lousy.
    If you ain't on Vista with Service Pack 1, you really ought to take a look.

Else, check this out.. Windows Mojave. http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/

BTW, you can ask any of your friends if they have a copy of it. Under EULA, you are allowed to make a dup backup of the original media.
    So instead of spending money getting from Ebay, ask around. ;-)

If there is anything i can help you with. Let me know.
    Should you need more assistance from us, IT Pro related, you can also post it here.
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?SiteID=17

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 3:14 AM