none
having trouble activating windows xp

Question

• I had to reinstall windows xp on my computer.
    I had to reinstall windows XP  but not from the original CD. i never recieved the original when i bought my computer.
    So I used Dell XP  reinstall CD and typed the product key that I have for that machine.
    But it won't work for activation. what do i have to do
    Friday, August 14, 2009 5:02 AM

Answers

• If this is a Dell computer, you can use the recovery media to rebuild the machine.  If you have problems with the product key, then Dell would be the best place to start.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 4:16 PM

All replies

• If this is a Dell computer, you can use the recovery media to rebuild the machine.  If you have problems with the product key, then Dell would be the best place to start.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Hello dwyatt2009,

The Dell reinstllation CD is only going to work properly on a Dell computer.  The installation of XP that it puts down is looking for data on the motherboard that only a Dell motherborad can provide, which is why it won't activate.

Please contact your computer manufacturer's tech support or customer service people to find out how to acquire the specific reinstallation or recovery discs your computer needs.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:51 PM