none
Corrupt AUTORUN.INF file

Question

• When trying to install both the Sunset version of Money and the MS Money Deluxe version, the installation fails with the error "AUTORUN.INF File is corrupt or missing" I tries installing on 3 different computers with XP Pro and Win 7 Pro 32bit. Anyone have any ideas.

George

George
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:18 AM

Answers

• I don't know if you've solved your problem, but I recently had this problem as well... I searched the internet like crazy, and when I came up with no results, I decided to search through the registry.

I found a registry entry that was causing the problem:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]

With a value of:

@="@SYS:DoesNotExist"

I renamed the key restarted my computer and the install ran just fine.  I then changed the name of the registry key back, and rebooted once more.  This is the only program I've ever had this problem with - just strange.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:11 PM

All replies

• The autorun.inf file is used when a CD is inserted into a drive and determines what to run at that time.

Can you just run the setup.exe program on the CD instead?

Glyn

Monday, June 14, 2010 12:13 PM
  • No.

I've tried to copy the CD to a folder on the hard disk and run from there with same error.

The Sunset version I downloaded gives the error and it is instaeed from a downloaded file without a CD.

Confused!

George
    Friday, June 18, 2010 3:12 AM
  • I missed that this was the sunset edition.  Try the following:

a) Start a command line by clicking All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt

b) Change your folder to the location you;'ve got the sunset executable. If it's in your documents folder, then it might just be by typing 'cd Documents'.

c) Run the executable with options, for instance if the executable was called sunset, run:
        sunset /c /t:C:\Sunset

d) the above will put the contents of the setup package in a folder called C:\Sunset.

e) Try running the setup.exe program from within that folder and see if it now installs

Friday, June 18, 2010 5:24 PM
  • I don't know if you've solved your problem, but I recently had this problem as well... I searched the internet like crazy, and when I came up with no results, I decided to search through the registry.

I found a registry entry that was causing the problem:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]

With a value of:

@="@SYS:DoesNotExist"

I renamed the key restarted my computer and the install ran just fine.  I then changed the name of the registry key back, and rebooted once more.  This is the only program I've ever had this problem with - just strange.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:11 PM
  • It worked :)  You are very smart to crack it. Thanks
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:56 PM
  • I was having the Autorun error problem with both Money Sunset and a new HP printer install. After wasting over 2 hours on the phone with HP support I hung up, googled the issue and minutes later found your resolution and it solved both issues! 

Thank you!

Saturday, August 14, 2010 1:32 AM
  • I am experiencing the same problem with installing Sunset on Windows 7. I had no problems with Vista but the moment I upgraded to Windows 7 I could not install Sunset. Also tried to install the original Money plus Deluxe but also getting the same problem. I tried the proposal to create a Sunset directory under C: but this did not solve the problem. Looked at the proposed registry solution but do not find an entry with value @="@SYS:DoesNotExist" Any further ideas as I am getting desperate now

Thanks

Sunday, August 29, 2010 7:52 PM
  • CareIP, I too didn't have the registry entry, so I created an empty one named autorun.inf, then rebooted, ran the setup and it worked.

• Proposed as answer by nctt Monday, November 15, 2010 2:03 PM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 2:02 PM
  • wow, I don't know how you figured that one out, but many THANKS.  I screwed around forever trying to figure this out and it now works.  Mucho appreciado!
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:29 AM
  • Are there any other suggestions to resolve this issue?  I haven't been able to get any of the proposed solutions to work.  For some reason, I can't delete or rename the current autorun.inf key/folder within the file registry.  I have the CD for Money 2006.  It will not work ... autorun.inf message.  I can't download Money 2006 ... autorun.inf message.  I can't download the sunset versions ... same message.  I recently received a new co. laptop with Windows 7. 
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 1:51 AM
  • Are there any other suggestions to resolve this issue?  I haven't been able to get any of the proposed solutions to work.  For some reason, I can't delete or rename the current autorun.inf key/folder within the file registry.  I have the CD for Money 2006.  It will not work ... autorun.inf message.  I can't download Money 2006 ... autorun.inf message.  I can't download the sunset versions ... same message.  I recently received a new co. laptop with Windows 7. 

When you say "download", I assume you mean "install".

I suggest you create a new Administrative user, and try install as that user. That user will start off with default settings. After completing the install successfully, you can get rid of that user.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:43 AM
  • You are correct ... by download I really meant install.  While the suggestion provided is a good one, unfortunately it did not work.  IT believes a total rebuild of my laptop is in order to corrent any corrupt registry issues which I would like to avoid.  Any other suggestions?
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 7:59 PM
  • GeorgeRhine says " While the suggestion provided is a good one, unfortunately it did not work.  IT believes a total rebuild of my laptop is in order to corrent any corrupt registry issues which I would like to avoid.  Any other suggestions?"

You already tried the new Administrative user bit then. See if either of these help. Don't put this off . These links still work:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895866/en-us    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827814/en-us

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Thanks for your response.  Money 2006 has never been installed on my current laptop.  My backup files have been transferred but the program itself has never been installed.  After reading more about the Microsoft utility referenced in one of the links above, I understand that it has been retired ... and may even damage other applications on my machine.  I am no technical expert so I don't understand why the utility would potentially work unless it can remove registry files that may be causing the problem ... even if Money has never been installed.  I haven't been able to find a good alternative to Money so I would like to resolve this if I can.  Please share other suggestions.

Thanks
    Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:50 AM
  • I noticed that there are no responses to your issue wgil2.  I have been trying to resolve this same thing for the last month!!!  I spilled on my last computer but still have access to the hard drive with my Money data on it.  HOWEVER, my new computer is Windows 7 and I can't get Money 2006 to load without getting the same autorun.inf error.  I have tried contacting MSN support but have been waiting for an answer for over a month!  Is there ANYONE out there who can help?  ALL of my tax information for this year is in those data files and I need them soooooo bad. :(:(  I went ahead and purchased Quicken and tried to import but it says that I have to have the program loaded in order to do it.

I don't know how to change registry keys and stuff like that so I can't try some of the suggestions here.  I also did try downloading the Sunset program but still get the same error and I don't even know if my data will be usable in the Sunset version anyway.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:23 PM
  • I noticed that there are no responses to your issue wgil2.  I have been trying to resolve this same thing for the last month!!!  I spilled on my last computer but still have access to the hard drive with my Money data on it.  HOWEVER, my new computer is Windows 7 and I can't get Money 2006 to load without getting the same autorun.inf error.  I have tried contacting MSN support but have been waiting for an answer for over a month!  Is there ANYONE out there who can help?  ALL of my tax information for this year is in those data files and I need them soooooo bad. :(:(  I went ahead and purchased Quicken and tried to import but it says that I have to have the program loaded in order to do it.

I don't know how to change registry keys and stuff like that so I can't try some of the suggestions here.  I also did try downloading the Sunset program but still get the same error and I don't even know if my data will be usable in the Sunset version anyway.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Are you in the US?

Is your Windows 7 the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Are you saying that you ran the Money Plus Sunset install file, and that you got an error that was exactly ""AUTORUN.INF File is corrupt or missing" ?

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Yes I'm in the US, Windows 7 64-bit and Yes to the last question the error is the same for the 2006 install and the Sunset install - AUTORUN.INF File is missing or corrupt
    Wednesday, March 02, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Same problem exactly: "AUTORUN.INF File is corrupt or missing" , but using XP Pro, in US.  I've tried the MS Money 2008 Deluxe download and the Sunset version download.  To convert my Money 2002 files to Quicken, I need 2008 as a bridge.  Can't get it past this error, however.  Would appreciate some advice.
    Saturday, March 05, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Same problem exactly: "AUTORUN.INF File is corrupt or missing" , but using XP Pro, in US.  I've tried the MS Money 2008 Deluxe download and the Sunset version download.  To convert my Money 2002 files to Quicken, I need 2008 as a bridge.  Can't get it past this error, however.  Would appreciate some advice.

With the same problem, have you tried the same solutions? Note the discussion of

above. See if that helps. I don't have such a key, but it seemed to help some. That key may have come to be in your registry by following http://windowssecrets.com/2007/11/08/02-One-quick-trick-prevents-Autorun-attacks

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715 has some discussion of disabling and enabling Autorun. It may lead somebody to an idea for a different cure.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 5:12 PM
  • See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029. Autorun is being turned off. This update will soon be installed automatically.

The solution is to navigate to the installation directory and launch the Setup.exe or other installation package yourself. This is what the Autorun.inf file did.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:36 PM
  • See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029. Autorun is being turned off. This update will soon be installed automatically.

The solution is to navigate to the installation directory and launch the Setup.exe or other installation package yourself. This is what the Autorun.inf file did.

At least some of the problems are from people who are not using an installation CD. Instead they are running a file such as the USMoneyDlxSunset.exe file. So the problem is not getting things started with  Autoexec.inf in the classic sense.

I will be posting a way of extracting the files from the install file that will allow installation by running the setup file. That registry key discussed above would normally be deleted, and instead the autorun should be addressed using the methods described in the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029 article

Saturday, March 05, 2011 9:02 PM
  • As I said in my previous post, I have no idea what to do with a registry key.........I'd like to try it but don't know how
    Deanna S Jenkins
    • Proposed as answer by gt95ab Wednesday, January 01, 2014 7:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by gt95ab Wednesday, January 01, 2014 7:19 PM
    Monday, March 07, 2011 4:08 PM
  • As I said in my previous post, I have no idea what to do with a registry key.........I'd like to try it but don't know how

Then you are unlikey to have put in that rogue registry key, that is discussed above, in place then. Those who have should probably delete that key, and use the methods described in the KB (knowledge base) article to control autorun.

For you and others, extracting the big installation file into a folder with the various pieces available should work around any problems. That way the setup.exe file is accessible to be run. The method is descibed in http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/e0de648f-fbcf-482f-bc3f-819cefd08aa4

Monday, March 07, 2011 8:06 PM
  • The solution I found is different slightly. The registry repair didn't work for me. So I unpacked the archive using 7-zip for example to a new folder. In the folder I clicked on mnyinst.exe instead of setup. It gives a warning and suggests you run setup.exe, but I clicked no to that and it continued installing without any problems. Hope it helps everyone. My system is Vista Premium.
    • Proposed as answer by caritenang Monday, September 12, 2011 8:35 AM
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 8:43 PM
  • After trying all the solutions above, this one worked immediately for me. Thank you!!!!
    Monday, September 12, 2011 8:38 AM
  • The solution I found is different slightly. The registry repair didn't work for me. So I unpacked the archive using 7-zip for example to a new folder. In the folder I clicked on mnyinst.exe instead of setup. It gives a warning and suggests you run setup.exe, but I clicked no to that and it continued installing without any problems. Hope it helps everyone. My system is Vista Premium.

Worked like a charm.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Can anyone tell me what name to change the registry file to?  I have tried deleting just the "DoesNotExist" and it seemed to work at first, I did NOT receive the error again, however the program never installed.  In fact, the installation wizard never came through after "extracting" all the files.  I cannot run the "Setup.exe" or the "mnyinst.exe" because it was a download over the internet 4 years ago.  I happened to have saved the MoneyPlus-Dlx-US-QFE1.exe file to "My Downloads" but it will not install on my new Windows 7...
    Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:05 AM
  • If you want to install Money Plus, you will need the sunset version rather than your download from four years ago. See http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/e0de648f-fbcf-482f-bc3f-819cefd08aa4 if you have the autoexec error message.

If you still have problems, I suggest creating a new administrator Windows user and install Money as that user.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 5:21 AM
  • This worked for me too. Much thanks.
    Saturday, March 10, 2012 5:09 PM

The registry repair didn't work for me also.

This solution is better, faster, easier. No reboot, no registry edits, no nothing like that.

Perfect.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Like many other people in this thread, I am not a programmer and am not comfortable screwing around with the registry files.  Thank goodness someone posted user-friendly instructions over here: http://www.techgeekandmore.com/solution-software-fix-for-microsoft-money-autorun-inf-error-during-install/
    • Proposed as answer by Hillfarmer Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:23 PM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:35 PM
  • How do you "rename the key" ... I've seen HKEY folder when using Clean Register but how do I get there? Also, is it the "autorun.inf" that you changed to, let's say, "autorunbackup.inf"? or is there a key name associate with the entry?

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 2:23 PM
  • You say you renamed the key. What did you rename it to?

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:56 PM
  • I am happy to see that there is still some activity in this topic, because I'm completely lost. I'm trying to install Sunset on my laptop for mobility and can't get it to install because of the autorun issue. Not being a wiz, I can't get it done. I've been using Money for 10+years on my desktop and would prefer not to change software. Now, is there a 1,2,3 instruction on how to install Sunset and get it to work somewhere or can someone help me please?
    Saturday, February 09, 2013 2:59 PM
  • I am happy to see that there is still some activity in this topic, because I'm completely lost. I'm trying to install Sunset on my laptop for mobility and can't get it to install because of the autorun issue. Not being a wiz, I can't get it done. I've been using Money for 10+years on my desktop and would prefer not to change software. Now, is there a 1,2,3 instruction on how to install Sunset and get it to work somewhere or can someone help me please?

Try the procedure on the first post in http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/e0de648f-fbcf-482f-bc3f-819cefd08aa4

Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt response. My laptop is in Windows 8 (64b). Will Sunset work correctly? Also will I be able to update my desk top with the date from my laptop when I'm on the road for long periods of time?

Thank you for the help.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Thank you, ellobie,  this old farmer was confused by everything else posted on this thread but the step by step instructions you linked to worked just fine.

MS Money 2003 installed on my XP.  I may try it on my new laptop running that miserable system known as Windows® 8 too.

• Edited by Hillfarmer Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:23 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Thank you!! So random, but worked.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 6:09 AM
  • I'm glad I kept scrolling down. Your solution is by far the easiest and it worked beautifully with Windows 7. Thanks.
    Monday, May 06, 2013 2:44 PM
  • I'm not computer savy and I know you posted this several years ago.  I was trying to download the program from Microsoft because they are offering it for free.  Can you please tell me how to get to the registry to perform the changes that you made?
    Monday, July 01, 2013 12:01 AM
  • Before you resort to editing the registry, I suggest try the process described in:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/e0de648f-fbcf-482f-bc3f-819cefd08aa4

Let us know if this works for you.

Bill Becker

Monday, July 01, 2013 2:36 AM