none
Upgrading from MS Money 2001 standard

Question

• I was online today doing some research, as I am getting ready to FINALLY upgrade my old computer. I will be going to Windows 7, and I doubt my 2001 version of MS Money standar will work. I would like to upgrade and stay with Money, even though it won't be supported. I've not contacted support once since 2001, so support is not an issue. I've noticed a few comments about the newer versions of Money not being able to download and all data has to be inputed. My current version downloads from BOA, even though their website says you need 2007 or greater. I currently use Money to manage multiple accounts and a computer download is mandantory for what I choose to use going forward.

So, my questions are?

1. Whcih free version of money should I try? I use it for home use only, but have multiple accounts and must be able to download my data from BOA, Vangaurd, etc.

2. Should I upgrade my existing computer to a newer version, rather than try and load 2001 (I have the Works suite disc that it came on) on the new computer, or just download the free version to my new computer and then try and import the data from 2001?

3. Should I choose instead to migrate to Quicken, it looks like I would need MS Money 2008 or 2009 to make that conversion. Do you know if that is true?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:00 AM

All replies

• Have you read thru http://www.microsoft.com/money/faq.mspx ?

Money 2001 would probably work somewhat, but it cannot handle the newer version of OFX that many financial institutions provided.

Your best options each require installing Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. With that, you can download information from Vanguard  with the help of the PocketSense Scripts and the websites of banks. Alternatively, you can use that to enable Quicken to convert your file. Each of those has advantages.

To convert your Money 2001 file to Money Plus  Deluxe Sunset, you may have to to use the method described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us or http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108/en-us  . Hurry with that, because the files to do that may not be available after January. The versions in the description won't match what you are doing. Just substitute Money 2001 for the newest version listed in the article, and substitute Money Plus for the newest. While it is possible that you would not need such an intermediate step, you might.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Thanks. I am trying ordering my new computer this weekend. Once I get the new router with back up hard drive and new computer installed (all this new stuff is easier, once you get it installed and figured out), and then get my new computer up and going, I will tackle that project. Thanks for the heads up about getting it done before January.

I was messing around on my wifes desk top today and found it has Money 2004. Would it be any easier to make the upgrade if I imported my 2001 backup to 2004 before upgrading to Sunset? Don't know if a newer version makes the upgrade better or not, but thought I would ask.

Thanks

Friday, November 05, 2010 9:32 PM
  • It may well go better by updating  your *.mny file to Money 2004 first.

Consider your backup strategy while you are making your changes. You may want to save some critical things off to other media.

Friday, November 05, 2010 10:34 PM
  • My MS Money works fine on Win7 just so u know.

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm working currently with Win7 Ultimate and MS Money 2001  (englishUK version)

I did an upgrade test for Win8 and one of the programs which were marked incompatible is, yeah! 'Microsoft Money 2001'.   Then i tried to install MS Money Sunrise but cannot import the Money datafiles...  due to the fact that MoneySR is US-only?   (I live in Belgium).

I already checked the option to convert to QIF files first which seems to be working but it will cost me a lot of work.  All accounts used i the last 15years need to be converted one by one.

Any thoughts ????

Saturday, November 03, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Hi all,

I'm working currently with Win7 Ultimate and MS Money 2001  (englishUK version)

I did an upgrade test for Win8 and one of the programs which were marked incompatible is, yeah! 'Microsoft Money 2001'.   Then i tried to install MS Money Sunrise but cannot import the Money datafiles...  due to the fact that MoneySR is US-only?   (I live in Belgium).

I already checked the option to convert to QIF files first which seems to be working but it will cost me a lot of work.  All accounts used i the last 15years need to be converted one by one.

Any thoughts ????

Yes. Money Sunset versions only convert North American versions.

You can install Money 2005 UK version, which will convert your 2001 UK version. The resulting file will not be readable by 2001 UK.

To convert to Sunset via QIF, would take some work. You mention converting one account at a time. Note that while you convert each account to QIF one at a time, it is important to import all resulting QIF files at once. That allows Money to recognize transfers. If you decide to try this, there are some tips to make this work better. One advantage of Sunset is that it keeps more than one timestamped backup file. That way if your Money file gets corrupted for some reason, saving an upon-exit backup file does not overwrite your only good backup file. So using Money 2005 or earlier, you should keep multiple backups, including on different media, as part of your backup strategy.

Installing the Money 2005 UK version will be the easiest course. The install file can be downloaded via the link on the sticky (first) post on this forum.

Saturday, November 03, 2012 6:12 PM
  • Hey thanks.

It seems that UK and International versions are the same whereas link on page displays other versions.  Anyway, I installed Money 2005 International version and it converted my Money2001 file without any problem.  Tomorrow i'll do the Win8 update check again...  see if it complains about MSMoney again.

thanks.

Saturday, November 03, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Hey thanks.

It seems that UK and International versions are the same whereas link on page displays other versions.  Anyway, I installed Money 2005 International version and it converted my Money2001 file without any problem.  Tomorrow i'll do the Win8 update check again...  see if it complains about MSMoney again.

thanks.

The UK and International versions are NOT supposed to be the same.  I think that is a mistake in the link.

This is the UK link if you need it.  Cal will fix the link when he spots this thread.

download.microsoft.com/download/8/5/8/858EDC2F-1806-4D2D-85E3-0FBB08CB720A/Money2005-UK-QFE2.exe.exe

Sunday, November 04, 2012 12:57 AM
  • The UK and International versions are NOT supposed to be the same.  I think that is a mistake in the link.

Whoops!   Corrected. Thanks.
    Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:34 AM